Samui Tourism Operators Theaten To Block Samui Airport

Bangkok Airways to ease monopoly to Samui

Thailand's largest private airline Bangkok Airways said Tuesday it would allow other airlines to fly to the nation's southern island of Samui, ending its 16-year monopoly there.

"Bangkok Airways announced that Samui Airport is open to all other airlines for operations, but all airlines must follow rules and regulations issued by the department of civil aviation," the carrier said in a statement Tuesday.

Samui Airport opened in 1989 and is wholly owned and operated by Bangkok Airways, which is currently the only airline flying to the popular tourist island in the Gulf of Thailand.

Bangkok Airways said that so far, only flag carrier Thai Airways had been informed of the possible loosening of the monopoly.

"Bangkok Airways has been collaborating with Thai Airways on a code-sharing agreement for Bangkok-Samui starting December 1st onwards," they said.

On October 31st the private carrier upped its fare for the route -- the first such increase in five years -- citing higher fuel costs because of the move to Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

It recently said Samui Airport would be expanded to handle 22,250 passengers daily, up from its current capacity of 9,000 passengers.

The expansion would be financed by a 10.5 billion baht (280 million dollar) property fund that would be sold to retail investors and institutional investors by early November.

Bangkok Airways has forecast its annual profit would jump from 31.4 million baht in 2005 to around 250 million baht this year, and passengers are expected to rise 14.8 percent year-on-year to 2.57 million this year.

The carrier was badly affected by the drop in tourism last year to southern Thailand following the 2004 tsunami.

It is expected that a total revenues would increase by 20 percent from 2005 to 9.7 billion baht this year.

Agence France Presse

We all know this is rubbish, the landing fees they have put in place are so high that it means any other airline will still have to charge stupidly high fees. So yeah anyone can land there long as they pay the landing charges. Means they will have to charge stupidly high fees for their tickets in order to make it profitable.

Edited by womble

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Airways to ease monopoly to Samui

We all know this is rubbish, the landing fees they have put in place are so high that it means any other airline will still have to charge stupidly high fees. So yeah anyone can land there long as they pay the landing charges. Means they will have to charge stupidly high fees for their tickets in order to make it profitable.

Maybe so, but what about:

""Bangkok Airways announced that Samui Airport is open to all other airlines for operations, but all airlines must follow rules and regulations issued by the department of civil aviation," the carrier said in a statement Tuesday.""

???

Is the airport (read: Bangkok Airways themselves) free to ask what they want for landingfees ? Aren't there any regulations in place by the same 'Department of Civil Aviation ?

LaoPo

I have been reading this post for the past 2 days with great amazement.

the nerve of some people....

The Samui tourism operators??? who the f... are they. I never heard of them before.

Where were they when all the hotels have nearly doubled the rates in 2 years time??

over the past 3 years the baht got stronger and hotel prices seem to get higer making a holiday more expansive to incoming tourists. where are those concerned people and why do they not rally infront of hotels???

What have they done to stop the taxi meter rip off??? what have they done to enforce the over development of the real estate projects?

The price of the ferry to samui has changes nearly 5 tim,es over the past 4 years. have those same people made any protest??? the price of the train to Surathani has allso been upgraded but i did not see them protesting.

it seems some one is trying to make a political gain riding on bangkok airways.

Bangkok airways is a profiatble company unlike most airlines in the world. it is a business aimed at making money and not a charitble foundation. most airlines can take a few lessons from bangkok airways on how to manage an airline company.

The prices of jet gasoline have nearly doubled in 4 years but we ejoyed the same prices.

Samui Airport is a private airport built by bangkok airways to make a profit. and it seems they are doing a good job as every tourist coming to samui by air is greeted by what is considered by many a most beautifull airport.

I too will suffer from the price change but i respect that.

for those of you who dont like bangkok airways.... take the ferry and train its much more comfortable...

It seems that some people in Samui are just to envious.

While people are happy to pay these prices they are happy to keep charging them. No problem. If people go elseware maybe they will think again. Air Asia : 500 Baht. Bangkok Air : 4,130 Baht including the airport tax and the free plastic cup of coffee and small cake. Easy choice.

Samui Airport would be expanded to handle 22,250 passengers daily, up from its current capacity of 9,000 passengers.

Geezus!... over 22 Thousand ... a day? :D now THAT is something to look forward to, eh? :o:D

and I foolishly thought whilst visiting that it was already crowded and congested in so many areas and on the streets ...

Samui Airport would be expanded to handle 22,250 passengers daily, up from its current capacity of 9,000 passengers.

Geezus!... over 22 Thousand ... a day? :D now THAT is something to look forward to, eh? :D :D

22.250 handling passengers is 50% in 50% out of Samui. (11.125 in - 11.125 out)

That's about 111 planes per day in and (the same) 111 planes out at each 100 passengers/plane....

SO: 222 plane-movements per 18 hours in a day*

* If calculating that there will be a 'quiet' period from midnight to 06.00 AM it leaves 18 hours in a day.

That would mean more than 6 planes per hour/100 passengers/each in and out of Samui = 12 plane-movements per hour....

Unless they are planning to use 747/Jumbo's flying in and out :D

LaoPo :o

"The carrier was badly affected by the drop in tourism last year to southern Thailand following the 2004 tsunami." :o

Yeah so badly infact that the flights to samui were booked up for days and days. It was almost impossible to get flights, hotel rooms or anything on samui. Even the ferrys had Q's that took most of the day.

Most of the excuses for raising the ticket price I have seen are complete rubbish!

"Bangkok Airways has forecast its annual profit would jump from 31.4 million baht in 2005 to around 250 million baht this year"

This does not sound like a company that needs to raise prices to stop itself going under. It sounds more like a company that wants to raise prices on it's monopoly to push it's super normal profit even further.

The more evidence I see, the more I'm getting angry about this 20% raise in ticket price.

Most of the excuses for raising the ticket price I have seen are complete rubbish!

"Bangkok Airways has forecast its annual profit would jump from 31.4 million baht in 2005 to around 250 million baht this year"

This does not sound like a company that needs to raise prices to stop itself going under. It sounds more like a company that wants to raise prices on it's monopoly to push it's super normal profit even further.

The more evidence I see, the more I'm getting angry about this 20% raise in ticket price.

Don't you know womble? Bkk Air is just following the lead of most major intl corporations (oil companies spring to mind), raise prices so the CEO can get a pay raise.

The CEO of this company also happens to be the major shareholder.

Anyone know if he is a real Dr ? Or is he another of these Thai/Chinese fake Dr's that isn't happy with simply fleecing people, they also need phony qualifications to enlarge their incredibly small penis's.

There is a meeting at The Fair House Resort at 1.00pm (that is now !) to disucss the price inreases and to decide whether to go against it etc.....

This meeting is organized by TAKS (and jointly TAT, I believe)

May be you should all go there and voice your concerns and discuss the size of penises and Dr. titles..... :o

The Samui tourism operators??? who the f... are they. I never heard of them before.

Where were they when all the hotels have nearly doubled the rates in 2 years time??

over the past 3 years the baht got stronger and hotel prices seem to get higer making a holiday more expansive to incoming tourists. where are those concerned people and why do they not rally infront of hotels???

What have they done to stop the taxi meter rip off??? what have they done to enforce the over development of the real estate projects?

The price of the ferry to samui has changes nearly 5 tim,es over the past 4 years. have those same people made any protest??? the price of the train to Surathani has allso been upgraded but i did not see them protesting.

Bangkok airways is a profiatble company unlike most airlines in the world. it is a business aimed at making money and not a charitble foundation. most airlines can take a few lessons from bangkok airways on how to manage an airline company.

The prices of jet gasoline have nearly doubled in 4 years but we ejoyed the same prices.

Samui Airport is a private airport built by bangkok airways to make a profit. and it seems they are doing a good job as every tourist coming to samui by air is greeted by what is considered by many a most beautifull airport.

for those of you who dont like bangkok airways.... take the ferry and train its much more comfortable...

While people are happy to pay these prices they are happy to keep charging them. No problem. If people go elseware maybe they will think again. Air Asia : 500 Baht. Bangkok Air : 4,130 Baht including the airport tax and the free plastic cup of coffee and small cake. Easy choice.

I agree 100% with Highdiver

Air Asia along with most low cost operators are "cherry pickers" that is they incur no costs for initial or innovative development. They wait for the market to be developed and then move in. Do you seriously think that they would invest and build from nothing a viable commercial operation? BKK Air have developed from scratch 3 airports in Thailand. Why on earth should they give away their profits just to enable a competitor to benefit? Healthy competition is fine but as with so many low cost operations i.e. Phuket Air when the going gets rough they will vanish.

In any case the fare Samui - BKK v.v. is every bit as competitive (cheaper in fact) than an equivalent European Operation such as Heathrow Brussels. Sooner or later operational costs such as fuel, salaries etc will have to be passed on. I have not seen a fare increase for a number of years and for me the Samui residents card has meant a reduction.

After commuting on shorthaul airlines in Europe for many years the service and standards of BKK Airways leave little to complain about.

Safety is another issue but many "no frills operators" are happy meet the minimum operational standards required.

In short, I believe you get what you pay for and BKK Airways seems to me to be a reliable.safe, and mostly comfortable service.

If you can't afford it go by boat/train/bus. These were the options before BKK Airways came along.

P.S.Dr Prasert is a real Doctor don't know about surgeon. The family also own Bangkok International Hospital and he is a Samuian.

Right I just this minute phoned up for a flight on 12th nov. I asked for 3pm Jet plane and was quoted 4950 baht. I questioned her about the price and said I thought this price was onlyh charged if you book on the day, she said no they have limited seats for 3950 but they were all sold out. I asked which flight was cheaper she said 6am adn 10pm, I aksed for 10pm @ 2500 baht, guess what, fully booked.

I aksed if any other flight had a 3950 seat, there was one and it is a prop plane. All jet plane fares are priced at 4950 baht now 4 days before departure, not on the day.

Beware and make sure you book well in advance. This time I am paying for 3 peoples return flights, had the 3950 flight not have been available I would have flown from surrat. Infact I think in future if there is 2 or more of us I will do just that. If I had had to pay 4950 for a prop plane I would be extremely pissed off.

Nearly everything Bkk air have said in there press release is rubbish.

It's not only when you book on the day, in this case in low season, when flights are not busy, the cheaper fare is booked out well in advance.

I hope something comes of this meeting as I will refuse to fly with them for 4950 baht, I will get ferry and drive to Surrathani airport as aq matter of principle and I urge other residents to do the same.

Unfortunatley there will be more than enough tourists to take our place, but until I move away from the island that is what I will do.

"If you can't afford it go by boat/train/bus. These were the options before BKK Airways came along."

It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. Some of us can well afford it, we just don't like being taken advantage of. Monopolies are always bad for the consumer, and here is a blatent example why. They have had 15+ years of making serious $ from that airport, now it is time to let healthy competition bring better value for tourists and residents rather than have everyone held to ransom.

Edited by womble

I agree 100% with Highdiver

Air Asia along with most low cost operators are "cherry pickers" that is they incur no costs for initial or innovative development. They wait for the market to be developed and then move in. Do you seriously think that they would invest and build from nothing a viable commercial operation? BKK Air have developed from scratch 3 airports in Thailand. Why on earth should they give away their profits just to enable a competitor to benefit? Healthy competition is fine but as with so many low cost operations i.e. Phuket Air when the going gets rough they will vanish.

In any case the fare Samui - BKK v.v. is every bit as competitive (cheaper in fact) than an equivalent European Operation such as Heathrow Brussels. Sooner or later operational costs such as fuel, salaries etc will have to be passed on. I have not seen a fare increase for a number of years and for me the Samui residents card has meant a reduction.

After commuting on shorthaul airlines in Europe for many years the service and standards of BKK Airways leave little to complain about.

Safety is another issue but many "no frills operators" are happy meet the minimum operational standards required.

In short, I believe you get what you pay for and BKK Airways seems to me to be a reliable.safe, and mostly comfortable service.

If you can't afford it go by boat/train/bus. These were the options before BKK Airways came along.

P.S.Dr Prasert is a real Doctor don't know about surgeon. The family also own Bangkok International Hospital and he is a Samuian.

Agree with all the above, but Dr. Prasert (actually a heart surgeon) is from Bangkok (not Samui)

KSTPA up in arms over airline’s increased airfares and monopoly, demanding action and threatening to shut the airport down.

Koh Samui Tourism Promotion Association had a meeting today to discuss putting pressure on Bangkok Airways to reduce the airfare on its Koh Samui route and end its monopoly.

KSTPA president, Seni Puvasettavorn, reacting to the report in the media, said that Bangkok Airways is establishing a joint flight operation agreement, in the form of code-sharing, under which Thai Airways passengers can travel to and from Samui on Bangkok Airway’s aircraft.

Mr Seni said this is not an appropriate solution.

He said a code-share agreement would only allow THAI to support sales for PG’s seats, while the airfare and the airport tax are the real issues that need to be addressed.

Mr Seni said KSTPA prefers more airfare options for passengers, whether the new players are THAI or low-cost carriers.

He cited Koh Samui hoteliers, especially in the budget category, are negatively affected by PG’s rate hike, as Thai tourist arrivals by air tend to drop when airfares go up.

The controversial subject was raised by the KSTPA after the airline increased its airfare to the island resort by 10.28% to Bt10,170, inclusive of surcharges and taxes.

The association is threatening drastic action against the PG, including closing the island's airport, if their request is ignored.

Bangkok Airways president and CEO, Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth is being quoted in the media as saying that apart from establishing a joint flight operation agreement, the airline also welcomes THAI's entry to the Samui airport, which PG owns and operates, to put an end to the criticism over its control of the lucrative Bangkok-Samui route.

However, he defended PG's decision to raise its fares, saying the move is in response to higher operating costs, including those involved in shifting operations to Suvarnabhumi from Don Muang airport.

Bangkok airways could really have pushed it too far this time.

This has galvinised support and now the business owners may well settle for nothing other than the complete opening of the airport including budget carriers.

I believe Bangkok air may well live to regret this ridiculous fare rise.

I wish they'd stop making excuses, if profits are expected to be much much higher than previous years, how can they say the fare rise is needed because of increased operating costs. With a fuel surcharge the only increased cost is moving airports, and all other carriers have had to deal with that and are not raising prices by over 10%.

Right I just this minute phoned up for a flight on 12th nov. I asked for 3pm Jet plane and was quoted 4950 baht. I questioned her about the price and said I thought this price was onlyh charged if you book on the day, she said no they have limited seats for 3950 but they were all sold out. I asked which flight was cheaper she said 6am adn 10pm, I aksed for 10pm @ 2500 baht, guess what, fully booked.

I aksed if any other flight had a 3950 seat, there was one and it is a prop plane. All jet plane fares are priced at 4950 baht now 4 days before departure, not on the day.

Beware and make sure you book well in advance. This time I am paying for 3 peoples return flights, had the 3950 flight not have been available I would have flown from surrat. Infact I think in future if there is 2 or more of us I will do just that. If I had had to pay 4950 for a prop plane I would be extremely pissed off.

It's not only when you book on the day, in this case in low season, when flights are not busy, the cheaper fare is booked out well in advance.

I hope something comes of this meeting as I will refuse to fly with them for 4950 baht, I will get ferry and drive to Surrathani airport as aq matter of principle and I urge other residents to do the same.

Unfortunatley there will be more than enough tourists to take our place, but until I move away from the island that is what I will do.

"If you can't afford it go by boat/train/bus. These were the options before BKK Airways came along."

It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. Some of us can well afford it, we just don't like being taken advantage of. Monopolies are always bad for the consumer, and here is a blatent example why. They have had 15+ years of making serious $ from that airport, now it is time to let healthy competition bring better value for tourists and residents rather than have everyone held to ransom.

Womble

Are you guessing that the original investment payback time was instant and that the airline has been creaming it in for 15 + years? I think that as in most business ventures there would have been a break-even time period. Do you also think that some of the profits may have been ploughed back in to be used for developing other airports, say Sukkothai, Trat? Perhaps you have inside info?

For info TG are hoping/planning to operate a B737-400 twice a day into Samui. It will operate at reduced weights,around 50 tons due to Runway pavement strength and Take off run limits. I also understand that the B737-800 is also being considered. Discussion have taken place between the respective carriers.

Yes and no doubt they will have to pay the very high landing fees BKK Air will inforce on them. And the joke airport tax will still apply. Not competition but a continuation of the monopoly.

I cannot understand why people think it is ok to be ripped off.

Monopolies are always bad for the consumer, and here is a blatent example why.

Correct. This is 'just' a small local item in Thailand, but makes Bangkok Airways president and CEO, Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth, very rich.

He's playing the 'shared' monopoly with Thai Airways very smart which, in fact, is not a sharing at all, due to the landing fees.

What about a world-wide monopoly like Mr. Gates has ? It made him the richest man in the world...

That's why the EU is strongly opposing to Microsoft's monopoly.

But, I suppose, the Thai Authorities will not and/or cannot do anything about it in the case of BKK Airways...for the moment.

Sorry if I'm off-topic a bit.

LaoPo

Dearest womble

i can understad your point but you seem to be missing the issue.

PG is a private company that was given a permit to build a private airport in samui when no one wanted to. they invested and are still investing in making Samui airport a very good one.

how are they to get the investment back?

maybe the honorable gentalmen of the Samui tour development foundation would like to pitch in and pay PG for the airport and cover the investment... I am sure they will be happy to sell and get back all the investment back. and who will run the airport??? can you imagine it being runned by the govermant.....!!!

just look at the amount of time and useless efforts made by the thai govermant to establish if they need a second airport or not.

PG is not a monopoly!!! other airlines are allowed to land in Samui and pay landing fees that are subject to Thai civil aviation prices.

However other airlines can not land as they dont have the planes that are in accordance with the runway and other specs that are needed for Samui. (small aircrafts)

Its simple math if you use a smaller aircraft you take less passangers and the cost per passenger goes up.

Thai airways wants to check the option of landing a 737 that is not suited for Samui runway using less weight. so they will need to take less passengers and the rate will be accordingly.

Thai airways does not wish to buy an aircraft that can only be used for short houls and as such prefer to sign a code share with bangkok airways.

the price increas has been after a long time of PG respecting former IATA prices and not raising the price.

They were the only company that did not raise the price after the tsunami as they wanted to aid the situation.

On a brief note, nearly all airlines that are operating similer planes ATR and small jets are charging the same price fr the same distance. about 120-150USD for a 400km flight.

normaly the shorter routes are more expansive because you use smaller aircrafts and the cost per passenger is higher.

you can get cheaper rates if you order way in advance and on the least popular hours. so if you wish to save do that.

Thai airways is loosing Money every year. So is Air asia .

PG is making profit. its not a shame... thats what they are in the business for.

Dr prasat does not need to answer to any one excapt his share holders.

if any one does not wish to fly PG they can take the ferry. no one is holding a gun at them.

if anyone of the esteemed gentleman that met today to discuss the issue can do it better, let them built an airport invest a huge amount of money buy planes and lets see if they can do it better.

Once again i belive that there is so much to improve on govermant level that the Samui tourist promoters or what ever they are called can do.

1. stop the taxi scams

2. call on the govermant t repare the bophud manaham road that is taking lives.

3. call on the tae saban to improve the rubbish collection.

and the list goes on.

Yes, you booked online, I checked after I booked by phone and there were indeed many options at 4g for different times, unfortunatley I do not have credit card, I will apply for one ASAP as this should ensure I get M class most of the time.

By the way 6am flight was available,but thats just too early for me, I asked for 10pm, but that was fully booked.

Some of you are missing the point, I am not against people making profit, and BKK Air should be commended for building the airport. Yes it would have taken a few years to get back the investment on building the airport, but does that really mean we should be held to ransom Ad Infinitum?

I think not......

Would you be happy to pay a premium on every single thing that someone created or thought of that was not naturally occuring?

I think not...........

So why after 15+ years should bkk air be allowed to raise prices to such a level that it threatens to completely ruin a sector (thai tourists and economy travelers) of the Samui economy?

There are many people to thank in this world for various inventions and initiative, but for the greater good these things need to involve 3rd parties in order to evolve into a better product for the consumer.

Yes..... The original initiators should be commended, but the simple fact they created does not mean they should be able to exploit people.

I pity anyone who agrees that because someone initiates something it means they can control and exploit.

Edited by womble

Yes, you booked online, I checked after I booked by phone and there were indeed many options at 4g for different times, unfortunatley I do not have credit card, I will apply for one ASAP as this should ensure I get M class most of the time.

By the way 6am flight was available,but thats just too early for me, I asked for 10pm, but that was fully booked.

Some of you are missing the point, I am not against people making profit, and BKK Air should be commended for building the airport. Yes it would have taken a few years to get back the investment on building the airport, but does that really mean we should be held to ransom Ad Infinitum?

I think not......

Would you be happy to pay a premium on every single thing that someone created or thought of that was not naturally occuring?

I think not...........

So why after 15+ years should bkk air be allowed to raise prices to such a level that it threatens to completely ruin a sector (thai tourists and economy travelers) of the Samui economy?

There are many people to thank in this world for various inventions and initiative, but for the greater good these things need to involve 3rd parties in order to evolve into a better product for the consumer.

Yes..... The original initiators should be commended, but the simple fact they created does not mean they should be able to exploit people.

I pity anyone who agrees that because someone initiates something it means they can control and exploit.

Wasn't disagreeing with you womble, just stating my experience.

Believe it or not, I have never flown Bkk air and usually wouldn't but I am not up for the Bkk-Koh Phangan by train trip for the 2nd time this year, just want to get home to hubby :o

I do believe that most corporate attitudes are in direct opposition to your own, womble, and doubt that any corporation would see your point of view. Corporate mentality states that the bottom line is all that matters and Bkk Air is certainly following this mindset with their price rise.

I think not......

I think not...........

Womble

it is very naive of you to think like that.

the whole essence of entrepreneurs is seeking the opportunity to make profit.

companies and individuals go to extreme length in trying to provide a product that can be sold for a profit and if they are the first to do it you need to pay a premium.

you pay a premium for enjoying the product or service that may seem trivial but you are rewarding the enerponure for his initiation and all the expenses that he sustained to provide the product.

the costs of initiating something new with all the expenses can take many years to see the investment return and there are no guarantees.

Parmecutical comapnies make billions from selling us medication that they have pattented. or should thay think like you and give it away for free for the benfit of humanity.

the initiator is taking all the chances. when something goes wrong like a tsunami or a coup the entrepreneur is left on his own to carry the damages.

At the end of the day its a business and they are there to make a profit. it is the reward of all the years they put in to the business.

I remember many years ago that when the planes coming to Samui were not full and Bangkok airways were doing very bad. and were loosing money . I don't remember anyone in samui saying "lets pay them more so they can sustain the rough times"

I still believe that the whole issue at this time is raised by individuals who are very jealous of the success of Bangkok airways. they just cant bare the thought that someone is profiting.

and it does not ruin any market. on the contrary it enables them to develop and grow and bring many more tourist that will spend more money and create more jobs and more financial benfits.

I hope that the efforts to improve the tourist service will be dedicted at those areas that realy do need improvement and not at making problems for bangkok airways that are giving excelant service.

Highdiver,

I have already stated that I am not against Bangkok Airways making a profit. If you do not agree that Bangkok Airways are using their monopoly unfairly fine, I can't be botherd to argue this point.

Yes companys seek to maximise profit, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I'm not just against this on a personal level,

As a business owner I feel this will have negative effects on the samui economy. I am trying to maximise my own profits and this will not help me or many others. Sure we will still have full planes with 2 week package tourists, but we will lose the weekend break Thais and expats, which is an important demorgraphic and without them many businesses will suffer.

Samui's loss will be Phukets gain.

The pharmaceutical industry has a 20 year patent, after that the companys monopoly finishes, this facilitates improvement of the product by other firms. There is a big difference though between Bkk air and a pharmaceutical company. There is much more research and development involved in drugs this means a far longer time period is needed to recoup the investment.

Not a good comparison.

I am not saying that Bkk air should not be rewarded but I believe there are limits to the levels of reward that are acceptable to consumers.

I don't know where you get the idea people are jealous, I have spoken to many people about this issue and no one seems jealous, angry maybe, jealous......... nope.

If bangkok airways open the airport up to other airlines then they will still get the airport tax. This will be income for them, the airport has been paid for many times over already and the improvements are being paid for by a property fund, it's not even their own money.

We do not need bangkok airways to overcharge us in order to develope and increase tourist numbers.

Far better we have more carriers, more flights and cheaper fares.

womble' date='2006-11-06 16:44:46
You ###### right! I'm seriously considering moving to Bangkok, Phuket or somewhere else because of this. Samui is becoming more and more expensive to live in and I need to get off the island at least once a month to stop myself going mad.

The island is not what it used to be, it is becoming more and more expensive, all the while the infrastructure becomes worse and worse.

Sometimes I ask myself why am I living here?

Nope...... For me this may well be the nail in the coffin as far as living in Samui is concerned.

:o

we agree , ................................ at last.

:D

Edited by taxexile

womble' date='2006-11-06 16:44:46
You ###### right! I'm seriously considering moving to Bangkok, Phuket or somewhere else because of this. Samui is becoming more and more expensive to live in and I need to get off the island at least once a month to stop myself going mad.

The island is not what it used to be, it is becoming more and more expensive, all the while the infrastructure becomes worse and worse.

Sometimes I ask myself why am I living here?

Nope...... For me this may well be the nail in the coffin as far as living in Samui is concerned.

:o

we agree , ................................ at last.

:D

Yeah we do finally agree, samui is a dump, the crap roads, the rubbish by the airport, i've put up with it for ages and have been hoping to see the problems sorted, or at least attempts being made.

I am seeing absolutley no attempts to rectify the mountain of problems in Samui, now the flights are being raised to a ridiculous level I ask myself why I continue to stay in possibly the most expensive place to live in thailand when really it's a sh!t hole.

I doubt I am the only one feeling this way................ :D