Samui Tourism Operators Theaten To Block Samui Airport

Yes, you booked online, I checked after I booked by phone and there were indeed many options at 4g for different times, unfortunatley I do not have credit card, I will apply for one ASAP as this should ensure I get M class most of the time.

By the way 6am flight was available,but thats just too early for me, I asked for 10pm, but that was fully booked.

Oh, I see, they should have asked you first which flight you prefer and then raise the rates of the other ones right? And who's fault is it that you don't have a credit card? If you had one and could get yourself out of bed for just once you wouldn't even be effected by the price increase.

I don't consider a 20% increase in only the Y-class fair a "ridiculous" move by BKK Air. And isn't this the first fair increase in like 4 or 5 years? Seems very reasonable to me plus I will never fly Y-class unless it is an emergency.

Also, I already posted on this thread how to get a really good fair for the 6 a.m. flight or 10 p.m. flight by going to the airport and buying first and paying with either cash or credit card.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you booked online, I checked after I booked by phone and there were indeed many options at 4g for different times, unfortunatley I do not have credit card, I will apply for one ASAP as this should ensure I get M class most of the time.

By the way 6am flight was available,but thats just too early for me, I asked for 10pm, but that was fully booked.

Oh, I see, they should have asked you first which flight you prefer and then raise the rates of the other ones right? And who's fault is it that you don't have a credit card? If you had one and could get yourself out of bed for just once you wouldn't even be effected by the price increase.

I don't consider a 20% increase in only the Y-class fair a "ridiculous" move by BKK Air. And isn't this the first fair increase in like 4 or 5 years? Seems very reasonable to me plus I will never fly Y-class unless it is an emergency.

Also, I already posted on this thread how to get a really good fair for the 6 a.m. flight or 10 p.m. flight by going to the airport and buying first and paying with either cash or credit card.

It is not the first increase in 4 or 5 years, they are saying this but it simply is not true. 5 years ago the price was 3150 net, it has increased a few times since then.

Yeah I don't have a credit card, i've already stated that I will get one in order to buy my ticket online and hopefully get cheaper tickets. The point is though that many people who this will affect do not have or can not get credit cards.

I will purchase it whilst lying in bed on my laptop. :o

Womble, don't let them get at you, this is not the first increase, some people are just too thick, if they want to be exploited by Bkk airways up to them, Departure tax is another rip off, whats so nice about this airport anyway, a grass roof and coconut poles big deal. and the smell of shit when they spray the waste water on the gardens, have you ever been there when flights are delayed 100s of people sitting on the ground as no spare space available. as for a car say no more, could go on and on.

Womble, don't let them get at you, this is not the first increase, some people are just too thick, if they want to be exploited by Bkk airways up to them, Departure tax is another rip off, whats so nice about this airport anyway, a grass roof and coconut poles big deal. and the smell of shit when they spray the waste water on the gardens, have you ever been there when flights are delayed 100s of people sitting on the ground as no spare space available. as for a car say no more, could go on and on.

Sooo....presume from your diatribe that you are an expert "thicky" as you have obviously been lurking around the airport for some considerable time. And by the way, what was your point??

Try being at Heathrow during delays.

Please feel free to delete the previous 125 posts... it's all been cancelled...

Congratulations Womble... YOU WIN!

post-9005-1163441909.gifpost-9005-1163441909.gifpost-9005-1163441939.gifpost-9005-1163441909.gifpost-9005-1163441909.gifpost-4701-1126936211_thumb.jpgpost-9005-1163441909.gifpost-9005-1163441909.gif

Samui fare hike is scrapped

Bangkok Airways has given in to mounting pressure from Koh Samui residents and agreed to scrap its recent fare increase for flights between the resort island and Bangkok ahead of a planned protest on the island.

An airline source said the company would revert to its previous fare, after the company negotiated with a group of protesters last Saturday.

The airline had raised airfare on the route 20 per cent, effective since October 29.

The source said the airline had decided to scrap the hike out of fear that tourists would switch to other destinations, due to higher cost of transportation. The source added that Koh Samui residents had accepted the company's gesture and called off a planned protest for this Thursday.

Travellers who booked their tickets since October 29 and paid the hiked rates will receive a refund.

As of now, the Bangkok-Koh Samui fare for M class is Bt3,350 per sector, excluding fuel surcharge, insurance and airport tax, down from Bt3,450.

Y class costs Bt3,550 one way, excluding fuel surcharge, insurance and airport tax, down from Bt4,550.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

This makes me happy and proves that it was simply a rip off, no way would they give in that easy if they really were facing such increased costs.

Although I am pleased with the outcome my impressions of bangkok airways have been changed forever, hopefully they are now bullied into allowing others to fly the route, I think the business owners shouldn't stop there, put pressure on whilst they're on the back foot, make them allow others to use the airport at sensible landing charges.

Edited by womble

Don't let your guard down, womble... they'll no doubt be trying it again:

Under the agreement, Bangkok Airways must inform local operators of any fare increase plan at least 60 days in advance to give them time to react.

Some additional insight into Bangkok Airways motivation:

Sonthaya Kongkijjakarn, a local tour operator and ticket agent, said Bangkok Airways swiftly agreed to return to the old fares because it wanted to secure its plan to sell its 10-billion-baht Koh Samui Airport Property Fund. Protests against the fare increase could have discouraged investors, he said.

Carrier agrees to revoke its fare hikes to Koh Samui = Bangkok Post article

That won't be easy............

Thai's need to see a direct link between a problem and it's effect on their rice bowl. The taxi's are something they would never equate with putting tourists off. Most have never travelled outside Thailand and to them this is normal, they simply would not understand how much this pisses us off.

The only way for real change on the island is for the local politicians (who only have interest in lining their own pockets), to start listening to the foriegners who run business or visit the island. We/They are afterall the ones who fill their rice bowls.

If they started to listen to us and start sorting these problems out nodoubt they would need much bigger bowls to put all their rice in!

thats great news , shows how consumers can change things if they make some noise.

now for the taxi drivers ?

I'm going back to OZ & buy one of these Mad Max cars. That should fix them lol.But then why go back to OZ heaps of unregistered monsters here. :o:D:D