Severe Isaan storms completely destroy luxury Thai property

webfact

Severe Isaan storms completely destroy luxury Thai property

is.jpg
Image: Daily News

Er mum - It's about the house...it's gone

NAKHON RATCHASIMA:-- A son had to call his mum in Germany and tell her their brand new Thai style house had collapsed into a pile of timber.

The unbelievable happened in a summer storm Tuesday as the beautiful wooden Thai style property designed and built by a Bangkok company was completely destroyed, reports Daily News.

Now the son wants their 3.8 million baht dream home in the Si Khiw area of Nakhon Ratchasima to be rebuilt.

Nattapong Wanchaitheuk, 22, had to contact his mother who is working in Germany to tell her the bad news about the home she had paid for. Nattapong said it was only finished at the end of January and family members had luckily not moved in properly yet. They had yet to have the "pithee kheun baan mai" or house moving in ceremony important to many Thais.

Nattapong said yesterday: "It is a shocking thing to see. I would never have believed that a new house could just fall down like this. I wasn't completely sure about the company as I don't know anything about construction but I found it odd that the building was shaking a little before even in light winds."

His mother is on her way back from Germany. Nattapong said he wants the construction company to take responsibility and build a new house but he is waiting for the return of mum so that the contract and any agreements contained therein can be examined in detail.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-28

"don't know anything about construction but found it odd that the building was shaking a little before even in light winds."

That is a good indicator that the construction is faulty....

Those "sticks" the home was built on top of does not look too strong........ or too many.....

but, for 3.8 million baht? that is expected....

Normally the proper price would be closer to 6 million baht for this kind of house...........

The house was not the only structure to succumb.

In Korat yesterday one of those huge billboards was blown over, see pics.

Always wondered about those things, especially as the years pass and the structure degrades . . .

post-184129-0-40031200-1461808778_thumb.

post-184129-0-73548900-1461808780_thumb.

post-184129-0-50146500-1461808783_thumb.

Edited by bheard

This house was built like a Lego house, without due considerations for the elements, it's a miracle

how it was standing up at all, I'm no architect but it seems that some of the basics in designing

a safe hose were ignored here, again, no surprise here as local builders known to excel in Jerry

jobs...... and that speaking from painful experience.....

Those poles look too thin and if they were wood how long before the termites would have destroyed them anyway.

The poles should have been heavy-duty reinforced concrete fixed to large deep footings,

And the footings should be connected in an underground grid formation topped by a concrete slab.

The roof appears to be tiled must have been far too heavy for the flimsy wood frame.

Lucky nobody was hurt.

This happens when everything is stuck together with a pneumatic nail gun and not much else.

Nail guns are rarely used here.....looks like this one was built with 2" nails....and no braces!

Edited by ChrisY1

This happens when everything is stuck together with a pneumatic nail gun and not much else.

Nail guns are rarely used here.....looks like this one was built with 2" nails....and no braces!

Don't know about rare but our builder had one and was trying to use it on practically every piece of wood in the house. 4 years later I am still dealing with rising nails/staples from the floor and cladding. The architraves had more than 2 nails per linear inch and they still fell off, more spikes than a Hedgehog. Slowly I am changing out the poor workmanship and fixing appropriately.

I wonder if the house was covered by the village insurance scheme? About 7 years ago a similar thunderstorm came through our village and damaged many roofs and completely flattened one house. Our house roof had minor damage.The local tessaban came round and assessed all damages and required the owners to get quotes for materials for repairs. Although we had to pay for the labour for repair te cost of materials was met by the tessaban.

I don't suppose many houses in rural Thailand have private insurance coverage for this sort of thing.

Those poles look too thin and if they were wood how long before the termites would have destroyed them anyway.

The poles should have been heavy-duty reinforced concrete fixed to large deep footings,

And the footings should be connected in an underground grid formation topped by a concrete slab.

The roof appears to be tiled must have been far too heavy for the flimsy wood frame.

Lucky nobody was hurt.

Nothing wrong with wooden posts if taken care of and who wants ugly concrete posts anyway.

I used a local builder to build my Thai style house and he did a great job. Had some big storms over the years and never a bit of damage. It also cost nothing like as much but is bigger than this one.

It seems to me this house was designed to be transported in kit form then just nailed together on site by workers earning 250 Baht/day who knew nothing about house building.

Edited by somo