Gov threatens social media malcontents

snoop1130

Was on the Australian ABC News yesterday how a number of people have already been arrested and imprisoned for expressing an opinion about Prayuth. The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people.

"The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people..."

That's generally what you hear from Western media sources just before a 'Color Revolution' happens in a 3rd world or 'developing nation', which in my mind telegraphs a "stay tuned" sort of message. Now expect more rhetoric from foreign NGOs clamoring about 'democracy' and 'freedom of expression'. I'm sure that Prayut and company have seen this before in parts of China and Myanmar (North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Middle East, and Eastern Europe). NGOs and other external foreign influence has been nixed by the current government in the affairs of the charter referendum, and if the NGOs keep clamoring internally within the country, I expect some will be invited to leave sooner than later, much like China and Russia have recently invited a number of NGOs to leave their countries.

I doubt another 'Color Revolution' in Bangkok or any other major city is going to get any more distance off the ground than a lead balloon.

The next couple of years are going to be interesting to watch as a casual observer. The only true 'democracy' that I'm aware of is in Switzerland. All other forms of democracy are rather weak 'knock-offs' in comparison: more like democracies in name only. The West has a bad habit of calling the 'kettle' black, well imho. Thailand needs to tread it's own path. The form of government they come up with is up to Thailand.

"The form of government they come up with is up to Thailand." - in recent years, there have been elections held in Thailand, and a certain guy in exile, and his sister, won them.

These Governments were then ousted. So, it appears it's not "up to Thailand" what Government they have, and what form it takes, but up to a minority of Thai elites trying to regain their power back, regardless of who and / or what the majority of Thai's vote for, and controlling the flow of information to the masses is one way they are going about it.

Edited by NamKangMan

Was on the Australian ABC News yesterday how a number of people have already been arrested and imprisoned for expressing an opinion about Prayuth. The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people.

"The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people..."

That's generally what you hear from Western media sources just before a 'Color Revolution' happens in a 3rd world or 'developing nation', which in my mind telegraphs a "stay tuned" sort of message. Now expect more rhetoric from foreign NGOs clamoring about 'democracy' and 'freedom of expression'. I'm sure that Prayut and company have seen this before in parts of China and Myanmar (North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Middle East, and Eastern Europe). NGOs and other external foreign influence has been nixed by the current government in the affairs of the charter referendum, and if the NGOs keep clamoring internally within the country, I expect some will be invited to leave sooner than later, much like China and Russia have recently invited a number of NGOs to leave their countries.

I doubt another 'Color Revolution' in Bangkok or any other major city is going to get any more distance off the ground than a lead balloon.

The next couple of years are going to be interesting to watch as a casual observer. The only true 'democracy' that I'm aware of is in Switzerland. All other forms of democracy are rather weak 'knock-offs' in comparison: more like democracies in name only. The West has a bad habit of calling the 'kettle' black, well imho. Thailand needs to tread it's own path. The form of government they come up with is up to Thailand.

"The form of government they come up with is up to Thailand." - in recent years, there have been elections held in Thailand, and a certain guy in exile, and his sister, won them.

These Governments were then ousted. So, it appears it's not "up to Thailand" what Government they have, and what form it takes, but up to a minority of Thai elites trying to regain their power back, regardless of who and / or what the majority of Thai's vote for, and controlling the flow of information to the masses is one way they are going about it.

Let me put it another way: I'm going to invoke the "I'm just a guest here" meme, settle back in my village, pour a cup of coffee, enjoy village life, and hope that none of the excrement hitting the blades splashes in my direction. If it does, I have options; if it doesn't it's business as usual, just another government coming and going.

This is the second military junta I've seen while living here. I can't really say I see any difference here on the ground where I reside. People get up, go to work, come home, drink kaow laow, live their lives...

And for those who can't handle the social and political intrigue here in The Land of Smiles: Ya'll can always go back home and nurture the illusion that your country has a functional democracy. Sure ya do. The best democracy that money can buy! thumbsup.gif

Edited by connda

Let me put it another way: I'm going to invoke the "I'm just a guest here" meme, settle back in my village, pour a cup of coffee, enjoy village life, and hope that none of the excrement hitting the blades splashes in my direction. If it does, I have options; if it doesn't it's business as usual, just another government coming and going.

This is the second military junta I've seen while living here. I can't really say I see any difference here on the ground where I reside.

For those who can't handle the social and political intrigue: Ya'll can always go home. (Omg! Did that come out of me??? whistling.gif )

I agree with you. We are all just guests here. We are not Thai citizens, therefore, have no right to remain here, should be be told to leave. For that reason, we should all have a "Plan B" here.

That said, even in your little village, in the future, if you were to go to www.facebook.com, for example, and were to see it was blocked by the Thai Government / Military, wouldn't you consider your own freedoms, even as a guest here, have diminished?

Another step in the direction away from democracy and freedom of speech.

Hundreds of years ago similar words were used to ban, posters, fliers, sheets of paper, graffiti, etc. Now in the electronic age, social media, emails, etc. are added. Same song, different key

This is the second military junta I've seen while living here. I can't really say I see any difference here on the ground where I reside.

For those who can't handle the social and political intrigue: Ya'll can always go home. (Omg! Did that come out of me??? whistling.gif )

I agree with you. We are all just guests here. We are not Thai citizens, therefore, have no right to remain here, should be be told to leave. For that reason, we should all have a "Plan B" here.

That said, even in your little village, in the future, if you were to go to www.facebook.com, for example, and were to see it was blocked by the Thai Government / Military, wouldn't you consider your own freedoms, even as a guest here, have diminished?

If the government blocked Facebook, I'd consider it a blessing in disguise. rolleyes.gif I didn't come here, no less stay here, for the 'democracy' or 'personal freedoms'. As a student of history and Geo-politics, I understand the fragility of any 'government' here in The Land of Smile. If I can stay, I will. If I can't, I have other plans. I'm sure my Thai wife and family wouldn't be happy, but if it ain't up to me, it ain't up to me. By the time you reach my age, you ought to know how to roll with the punches. And as far as pulling up roots... I've got a lot of practice. It's an inconvenience, not the end of the world. smile.png

Edited by connda

@ connda

I used Facebook as one example. My point being, what freedoms the Thai's may lose in this fiasco, expats lose as well. I think it would take the brink of civil war in which foreigners would have to leave, in their masses, for me to just get up and go tomorrow. I don't think it will happen, as Thai's love money too much to have a civil war. smile.png

Many expats moved to Thailand to escape their nanny states, but if there is heavy censorship of the internet here in the future, then Thailand would be acting like a pseudo communist state.

As mentioned, I have other options as well. No problem for me if it goes pear shape here and I have to leave in quick time.

Just as Thaivisa now automatically deletes obscenities and swear words and phrases, is it not possible for their software to automatically delete the phrase 'if you don't like it, go home' and 'don't let the door hit you on the way out' ?

IMHO, the country and population are akin to the frog being slowly boiled alive and not realising it. Sooner or later, the masses will go 'ouch that's hot' and do something about it.