Aggression: Thai Style

ev1lchris

I notice that Thais do not outwardly express their anger and it leads to certain other behaviors.

Once I was walking down the street. I saw a Thai street vendor that was angry with a dog that was no older than a puppy. He grabbed it and threw it on the ground. He did this again.

This was outside the BTS / MRT station in Asok by the Pala's Pizza.

I calmly walked forward and asked him what was happening. Then he grabs a knife from his cart and looks at me. I stay calm and do not do anything. He then takes the puppy with the knife into the alley and God knows what happened after that.

I'm sure beating on animals is the result of pent up anger and frustration about not being able to advocate for yourself, or at least living a horrible life. I would not be surprised if many Thais took out their aggression on women and children because of the inability to be assertive on their own behalf.

In the government school system I think this takes the form of the Thai staff talking about the farangs behind their back and purposely not sharing important information (for example, an upcoming day of school closure).

This passive-aggressive / explosive behavior is really pathetic. I understand that Thais do not like it when I make maybe double or triple what they make by virtue of having a different passport or native language. I understand that it's easy for someone like me to come over here and not worry too much about money because from my point of view everything is dirt cheap for me. And if a Thai person is going to try to berate me I am going to throw it back at them one thousand percent.

However, all this is NOT MY FAULT. It's not my fault that the average Thai person makes less than $10 USD a day. It's not my fault that I can just not show up to school at 3 am just because the administration are idiot planners and not receive criticism or punishment for it. It's really not my fault that I can make more in a day than most Thais in a week back in the West.

This is all displaced anger. Thais need to advocate for themselves if they want a better life. That's the reason why people in the States and other parts of the world have better lives. It's like the quote "The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

No, it took hundreds of years to produce European success. Holland and the UK chanced on things like limited liability and this - plus a lot of similar things - produced explosive growth. There were also massive first-mover advantages. The US benefited from European success (the Declaration of Independence is just John Locke's Second Treatise) and also from massive natural resources and slavery. Individuals have far less control over their lives than you'd think. Someone born in France benefits from everything that went before them. If they'd been born in rural China their genetic endowment would have helped them not one jot. Thailand needs to change, but the idea that a culture of complaint will - on its own - help isn't true. Sanders and Trump are the political expression of complaint in the US, but the people who're complaining are angry about the consequence of global political stability and the resulting loss of the highly paid manual jobs that used to allow sub-literate Americans to imagine that their true value was their 1990 General Motors pay packet. Their finding out the real conditions of their existence now, and Trump's trade barriers won't make a blind bit of difference.

One of the first things I learned was Thais take a long time to 'blow' but when they do you'd better make yourself scarce as it can get messy quick.

My first Thai GF used to have proper hissy fits, what we would call 'tantrums' in England, literally sit on the floor shouting her head off, thrashing her limbs about for ten minutes. Fair used to startle me but as months of peace would follow I learned to roll with them.

The wife now has a good weekly nag usually right before my pub afternoon/evening/night which does her, but little peace follows them.....sad.png

I am kind of lucky as my wife has worked in the west. When she is usually pissed off at me I know right away and vise-versa. The thing that does pisses me off is when she holds her anger back against other Thai's, especially because I am the one she then vents at after. I will show anyone respect even more so to the elderly regardless of race. If I am going shopping, as I open the door and someone is coming in behind me I will keep the door open, but many times I have had the door closed on me in reverse.

Never had the urge in a foreign country to walk up to an obviously angered strange man and strike up a conversation that demanded he give me an explanation for his current actions towards an animal/even/situation that I did not have all the facts about.

But, variety is the spice of life.

You must have dreamed this dog incident.

High on the Buddhist's precept list is no cruelty to animals.

No Thai could do this. Probably a Burmese Muslim vendor.

Edited by Fookhaht

It seems like the OP spends all of his waking hours trying to think up new ways to bash the Thais. As usual, I haven't experienced any of this "Thai aggression" that he speaks of on a daily basis. How do guys like this survive in the real world for so long?

It seems like the OP spends all of his waking hours trying to think up new ways to bash the Thais. As usual, I haven't experienced any of this "Thai aggression" that he speaks of on a daily basis. How do guys like this survive in the real world for so long?

That's because you have never even been in Thailand.

Maybe it is your attitude which is the problem.

Maybe calling Thai people pathetic is why as of the 27th you have no job.

Maybe the Thai teachers talked about you behind your back, because you are a difficult person, and difficult to get on with.

Maybe you should try and adapt instead of expecting others to.

Maybe you should research the differences between Eastern and Western culture and not assume everything in the West is better.

It is clear from your post that you don't like Thai people and they don't seem to like you; as I am only basing this on your post, I think

you come across as a very difficult person to like.

Any built up aggression comes out when people feel powerful. Just in western society people feel more powerful.

This man felt more powerful than a puppy. Giving the man a gun, gang or a big car would've made him feel equally powerful.

It seems like the OP spends all of his waking hours trying to think up new ways to bash the Thais.

No need, when they publish so many videos of Thais bashing foreigners.

Yes, Thais have been caught bashing foreigners. Thais also bash each other, much more frequently. Americans bash Americans, every single day. What's your point?

The OP has low self esteem, he comes to a developing nation and seems surprised that things are different to the place he comes from, then blames the locals for not being in his situation where he has a choice to go back home when the going gets tough or any time he wants, hence his sense of superiority and the nauseatingly smug attitude he exudes, the street vendor is home, and like the vast majority of Thai people he has no choice in the matter.

Thai Teachers can't go to your country by choice and get a job earning 3 x what your countries nationals do, totally unqualified Farangs can come to Thailand and reinvent themselves as educators, I've met a few that should IMHO, never be anywhere near children of any nationality, but welcome to a developing nation.

I'm forever amazed that Farangs come here and just can't get their heads around things are different, what did they expect, why did they come here in the first place, let me guess, Cos It's Different !!!!!!

Once taking advantage of financially vulnerable people wears thin, many Farangs in Thailand still stay and show their disdain for the very people they were once happy to exploit for their own gratification, and this doesn't apply to everyone of course, but it does apply to some of the perennial whiners, moaners,and self loathing individuals that permeate anonymous forums.

Edited by Broken Record

The OP has low self esteem, he comes to a developing nation and seems surprised that things are different to the place he comes from, then blames the locals for not being in his situation where he has a choice to go back home when the going gets tough or any time he wants, hence his sense of superiority and the nauseatingly smug attitude he exudes, the street vendor is home, and like the vast majority of Thai people he has no choice in the matter.

Thai Teachers can't go to your country by choice and get a job earning 3 x what your countries nationals do, totally unqualified Farangs can come to Thailand and reinvent themselves as educators, I've met a few that should IMHO, never be anywhere near children of any nationality, but welcome to a developing nation.

I'm forever amazed that Farangs come here and just can't get their heads around things are different, what did they expect, why did they come here in the first place, let me guess, Cos It's Different !!!!!!

Once taking advantage of financially vulnerable people wears thin, many Farangs in Thailand still stay and show their disdain for the very people they were once happy to exploit for their own gratification, and this doesn't apply to everyone of course, but it does apply to some of the perennial whiners, moaners,and self loathing individuals that permeate anonymous forums.

developing nation..... I beg to differ on that quote. I could give you countless arguments against but to develop people usually have a choice to vote for a government.

That's the reason why people in the States and other parts of the world have better lives.

I think the people in Flint, MI, South Central LA, and any number of other US locales would argue with this statement. Thailand is a just place. Like anywhere, it has good points and bad. From the tone of your post I'd say it's time for you to move on to the next challenge.

developing nation..... I beg to differ on that quote. I could give you countless arguments against but to develop people usually have a choice to vote for a government.

Well my learned friend, the man in the street doesn't have much say about who the government are, and when they do it makes little difference to the vast majority of the population, the rich get richer and screw the poor, in developed countries you could protest, for Thai's, they can't, we don't like it here, we can leave, as for most Thai's they can't, unlike us, they have no choice.

Being brainwashed from birth does little to help the majority of Thai's, the education system keeps them compliant and dumb enough not to question those of massive wealth.

Are you actually trying to say that the so called english teachers in Thailand (mean thais) are somehow qualified to teach english? Sure, my sample isn't 1000+ but those i have met and talked with would be put to shame by 12 year olds in Sweden.

I saw a Thai man throw a bottle at a dog last night because the dog was growling at another person 20m away. The guy being barked at didnt seen bothered so i was perplexed to as why it bothered him so much.

I saw a Thai man throw a bottle at a dog last night because the dog was growling at another person 20m away. The guy being barked at didnt seen bothered so i was perplexed to as why it bothered him so much.

crazy.gif

So according to your post you are an english teacher and everything seems cheap to you? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How's that BTS ticket and the studio apartment working out so far?

You got a bottom of the barrel job in Thailand and of course Thai people will talk behind your back about it.

I would too - just not behind your back - you're a loser. Period.

Edited by PomRakBKK

So according to your post you are an english teacher and everything seems cheap to you? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You got a bottom of the barrel job in Thailand and of course Thai people will talk behind your back about it.

Most 'bottom of the barrel' English teaching posts pay (30k) twice as much as a Thai person with a degree gets (15k).

Most 'bottom of the barrel' English teaching posts pay (30k) twice as much as a Thai person with a degree gets (15k).

It's the still the bottom of the barrel job for a foreigner in Thailand.

Of course selling fake shares is even lower, be we are talking about legal jobs here..

It's a gov't job so for the Thai teacher there'd be all the perks added in, insurance,pension, pay raises,vacation time,sick days not to mention gifts in white envelopes. The falang teacher is contract labor and doesn't get the extras,so he's the one getting the short end of the stick.

Edited by Rob13

It's a gov't job so for the Thai teacher there'd be all the perks added in, insurance,pension, pay raises,vacation time,sick days not to mention gifts in white envelopes. The falang teacher is contract labor and doesn't get the extras,so he's the one getting the short end of the stick.

I wasn't talking about Thai teachers, almost any Thai office job pays less than 15k to a Thai with a degree in CM.

If income is something that only happens once or twice a month you're getting the short end of the stick.

Instead you hide behind a computer.

<deleted>