Profitability of Rice

laolover88

It depends upon whether you own the land or not. The general answer, though, is: "you don't". Even with Yingluck's rice pledging fraud scheme farmers weren't reaping the benefits. Generally, rice farmers are heavily in debt.

Sure. I am trying to connect up the average Thai family income in Issan which is about 18000B per month, with the threads about the g/f who can't live on 25000 a month and the "How Can they afford to live" one and the price of rice received when sent to the mill. Obviously land rental costs, fertiliser, pesticides ,labour, even water and harvesting costs and the seed variety come into play as do subsidies. What income you get from a shoe factory in Samut Prakhan or working in 7/11 is a slightly different issue. As I understand it Thai rice growing is hugely inefficient. I am wondering what the cost of that inefficiency is!

Edited by laolover88

It depends upon whether you own the land or not. The general answer, though, is: "you don't". Even with Yingluck's rice pledging fraud scheme farmers weren't reaping the benefits. Generally, rice ALL farmers are heavily in debt.