Where are the higher limit ATMs?

candels

While the machines on my street (Sukhumvit region) show up to 30,000B withdrawal, they don't actually do it. They say "over the max allowable." They'll do 10,000.

I've heard different localities in BKK have ATMs that dispense different amounts.

Where are the ones that will do 30 or so?

(My own bank limit is not the issue, btw)

For local or foreign card? If foreign card believe there can be limits by Visa/MC or whatever lower than your bank allows.

But most ATM's can not provide more than 20 bills so if they have 1k bills that would be 20k - if they only have 500 baht notes that would be 10k per transaction. BBL bank ATM's can provide up to 25 bills (but you have to request - never a fast cash option) - there is one or two that can provide up to 30 notes but do not use them so would have to search here to find out which ones.

Sorry, to specify: foreign debit card

As you said it will not be the limit?

Many banks set limits for ATM transactions abroad which can usually be changed on request.

My numbers are the technical limits and will work with every Thai bank ATM card (as long as the ATM is filled).

Have you tried the manual entry of the amount instead of the "quick" keys?

Working down from 20k to 10k in 1k steps or so?

If there is some 1x000 limit then it IS your card.

What currency is your card?

Edited by KhunBENQ

As an example for today:

(I think to have read that "500" is a popular preset limit for cards in these currencies)

500 EUR ~ 19700 Baht

500 GBP ~ 23350 Baht

500 USD ~ 17400 Baht

Edited by KhunBENQ

Citi Bank at Asok on the ground floor of the Interchange 21 Building (corner of Asok Montri and Sukhumvit) will definitely allow you to withdraw at least 40,000 in one go. I haven't tried more than that so not sure if that is the upper limit.

Citi Bank at Asok on the ground floor of the Interchange 21 Building (corner of Asok Montri and Sukhumvit) will definitely allow you to withdraw at least 40,000 in one go. I haven't tried more than that so not sure if that is the upper limit.

That's weird as they only let me withdraw 15k in 1 transaction with my Singapore Citi ATM card, but as they don't charge for the transactions I just do it multiple times if I need more (haven't needed to get more than 30k but I'm assuming I'd be ok up to my daily limit if I needed to).

I have withdrawn 30,000THB in one go with the same card from one of the ATMs in Terminal 21, can't remember which bank but i think it was Krungsri.

Sorry, to specify: foreign debit card

As someone has already hinted this is nothing to do with bank limits, or your card limits, it is merely a limitation of the number of notes the machine can dispense at a time.

Often they will fill the machine with 500B rather than 1000B notes. In this case you can only get 10,000B at a time because there is a 20 note dispensing maximum.

If you are sceptical, try withdrawing 10,000B from one of those machines, and then repeat the transaction a second time to get the amount you want (as long as it doesn't exceed the limits imposed by your particular card, or the ATM itself).

That's weird as they only let me withdraw 15k in 1 transaction with my Singapore Citi ATM card, but as they don't charge for the transactions I just do it multiple times if I need more (haven't needed to get more than 30k but I'm assuming I'd be ok up to my daily limit if I needed to).

I have withdrawn 30,000THB in one go with the same card from one of the ATMs in Terminal 21, can't remember which bank but i think it was Krungsri.

Strange indeed. I do it every month with a foreign debit card from a different bank?!!

From my own experience, the bank that issue the card to you has a normal set amount one can withdrawn from the card daily. Unless you notify them that you want to increase the limit it doesn't matter what ATM you use. For example if you have a limit of 500 USD, right now you might be able to get 17,000 baht.

Anyone living here or visiting for long periods might know that every ATM machine is different meaning one Bangkok Bank ATM in Bangkok might be different that another in Pattaya etc.

There are times I've used a ATM, and although I've had no problems obtaining 17,000 baht, one day the machine tells me to contact the bank, not enough funds, or choose another amount.. this is due to the machine running out or low on money. I noticed beginning of the month a ATM machine like Aeon will be posted "out of order" out of money.

ATM machines from same bank are running the same software and if have same money available will provide the same. I have never found a Bangkok Bank ATM that I could not obtain 25 bills from. If it only has 100 baht notes available that would only be 2,500 baht per transaction however.

End of month activity probably overloading the ancient modems. Which is the main reason I changed to wire transfer/ACH years ago and use a local card to obtain cash.

modem28800_1.jpg

Would you be able to give us instructions on how to do that? That might be a better option, considering the 200baht plus $5 (bank fee) for every ATM transaction

Edited by candels

Simple method is tell your bank to send using SWIFT to an account you have in a Thai bank. Be sure money is sent in home country currency for exchange into Baht in Thailand for best exchange rate. You will want to send larger amounts as there is normally a fairly high charge by home bank and often another charge at correspondent (bank actually having Thai connections) - but normally does not increase with amount.

If you set up a Bangkok Bank account and have US accounts you can use ACH transfers which are quite cheap and charge is based on amount so even lower transfers are not expensive.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

30k per transaction:

Krungsri Bank

TMB (Thai Military Bank)

CIMB

25k per transaction:

Bangkok Bank

Many many threads.

Very popular topic.

KhunBenq provided the correct answer.

Assuming one's home country card doesn't have lesser limits, Krungsri and TMB ATMs will reliably do 30K per withdrawal.

So might CIMB ATMs, although those are becoming harder to find as CIMB Thailand has been closing and scaling back its branch operations lately.