Brexit voting lunacy

Expats who've been living abroad for more than 15 years won't be allowed to vote in the referendum, despite potentially being significantly affected. However, Irish, Cypriots, Maltesers living in the UK can vote, as can Bangladeshis, Kenyans, Nigerians and Malaysians living in Gibraltar. Yet another kick in the teeth for (mostly elderly) British expats from Her Majesty's government.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/david-cameron-and-former-union-boss-warn-brexit-would-be-a-disas/

Yet again the U.K. demonstrates its respect for (some of) its citizens, and denies them their democratic rights, yet strangely still expects them to pay tax on any of their income-arising within the U.K. ? blink.png

And yet they still like to hold themselves as a shining-example of democracy ! bah.gif

Perhaps it's because, having real-world experience of living and/or earning-a-living in other countries, these citizens can't be trusted to vote as the politicians tell them to ? ! wink.png

Yet again the U.K. demonstrates its respect for (some of) its citizens, and denies them their democratic rights, yet strangely still expects them to pay tax on any of their income-arising within the U.K. ? blink.png

Reminds me of the 1750s slogan of American colonists "No taxation without representation". Still the UK taxes us expats without giving us representation. Even worse, it gives representation to random foreigners who don't pay the UK a single penny in tax and don't even live in the UK.

Been voting by absent ballot overseas for over 20 years. Just received a new ballot today by e-mail. Yes sir in 1776 the USA did the correct thing and toss you hooligans out.laugh.png

Off topic, but personally I would rather give up the right to vote in my home country than be subject to taxation on my worldwide income by that country. I rather like not having to pay a single centime in tax on investment income (or capital gains) anywhere in the world. After all, I really don't understand why politicians and unelected bureaucrats think they know better than me how best to spend my money.

So perhaps the US of A makes voting easier for expats, but it's one of only two countries in the world that taxes expats on their overseas income, the other being Eritrea. Perhaps, on balance, things would have been better for you colonial types if we hooligans hasn't been tossed.

Been voting by absent ballot overseas for over 20 years. Just received a new ballot today by e-mail. Yes sir in 1776 the USA did the correct thing and toss you hooligans out.laugh.png

Off topic, but personally I would rather give up the right to vote in my home country than be subject to taxation on my worldwide income by that country. I rather like not having to pay a single centime in tax on investment income (or capital gains) anywhere in the world. After all, I really don't understand why politicians and unelected bureaucrats think they know better than me how best to spend my money.

So perhaps the US of A makes voting easier for expats, but it's one of only two countries in the world that taxes expats on their overseas income, the other being Eritrea. Perhaps, on balance, things would have been better for you colonial types if we hooligans hasn't been tossed.

The first 90,000 USD is not taxable.tongue.png

I'm no expert on Uncle Sam's lust for tax, but I believe the $90+K exclusion only applies to earned income, so dividends, interest and capital gains from investments are still taxed worldwide, as is rental income. Plus you only get the tax exemption on earnings income if you actually file a tax return. It really is an onerous (and inequitable) regime. Still, it it's good enough for Eritrea, it's good enough for America.

It's up to 100,000 now (for the 2015 tax year). smile.png

reference: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2555.pdf

So let's put it simply.

Someone who has contributed to the country for many years and has chosen to live outside of the U.K. for whatever reason is denied their democratic right to a vote.

Someone who has not worked a single day in their life, has contributed nothing to the country and is basically a parasite, is held in higher regard and is afforded the right to vote.

The U.K. has now foregone it's right to preach to Thailand about democracy and human rights. HMG, keep your opinions to yourselves.

I have a VERY small Canadian pension, but 1/4 of it is withheld as Non Resident Tax, that is I pay both provincial and federal taxes Whether I can vote or not, I don't know and don't care. Don't want to.

I have another VERY small UK pension - it has just been raised by 27p per week. As far as I know I don't pay taxes, because up there in Liverpool they never send any notification, not like France and Canada. Also don't know whether I can vote, it's ditto with the Canadian idea.

.But I do sympathise with UK expats who receive a decent pension and all that has been said above. The only thing I don't understand is why many of you who haven't lived in the UK for years, would want to vote or have a say in the politics.

I haven't lived in Oz for over 40 years and given what I read, don't want to vote there either. I just learnt that I missed out by a couple of months, of being a work colleague of that frightful female who was PM a while back. We both worked for a Melbourne firm of solicitors.

For any English who failed in school

The plural of Maltese is Maltese

Maltesers are a chocolate covered sweet tongue.png

Before criticising my English (a) check the grammar of your statement "For any English who failed in school", (B) get a sense of humour, and © check out Maltesers - they're a wonderful, white, fluffy breed of dog. Not sure what they taste like dipped in milk chocolate, though.

Edited by Oxx

Didn't leave until 1783.

Do we owe rent for those 7 years?

biggrin.png

but i believe you have to pay taxes to uncle Sam no matter where you earn it.

l had Filipinos working for me in New Guinea in the 70s that paid Philippine tax as well as local PNG tax.

While there, the Australian govt tried to bring in a double taxation for us OZ expats but it was dropped when expats started mass resignations.

My combined tax bill would have been 63%(32% from OZ & 31% from PNG).

l was about to put my resignation in when the proposed tax was dropped.

I am British and I expect nothing from the UK government. I remember back in 1979 when it looked as if there was going to be major backlash against foreigners in Zambia. The British Embassy continued telling everyone there wasnt a problem. We found out later the Ambassador and family had been flown out and the RAF were on emergency standby in Nairobi

I am British and I expect nothing from the UK government. I remember back in 1979 when it looked as if there was going to be major backlash against foreigners in Zambia. The British Embassy continued telling everyone there wasnt a problem. We found out later the Ambassador and family had been flown out and the RAF were on emergency standby in Nairobi

To be exact, there has never been a British Embassy, nor an ambassador in Zambia. Only a High Commission and a High Commissioner.

The 15 year rule is another law that has come from the EU beaurocratic machine, it did not originate in the UK, we just doing what we are told and why 15 years? Just goers to show the Brussels view on democracy really. Its wrong that all these people should be voting in our referendum but its the current law so we just have to get on with it and get the vote out to defeat it.

I'm no expert on Uncle Sam's lust for tax, but I believe the $90+K exclusion only applies to earned income, so dividends, interest and capital gains from investments are still taxed worldwide, as is rental income. Plus you only get the tax exemption on earnings income if you actually file a tax return. It really is an onerous (and inequitable) regime. Still, it it's good enough for Eritrea, it's good enough for America.

I'm an American, and I could not agree with you more. Shameful tax regime in America...you're always working for the plantation owners, no matter where you live, and they never let you forget it...only the US and Eritrea do this for Christ sake...American exceptionalism at its worst!

Edited by mpyre

The 15 year rule is another law that has come from the EU beaurocratic machine, it did not originate in the UK, we just doing what we are told and why 15 years? Just goers to show the Brussels view on democracy really. Its wrong that all these people should be voting in our referendum but its the current law so we just have to get on with it and get the vote out to defeat it.

You are right about the EU imposing laws on the member states, and many of which have come about not in a diplomatic way but made by Eurocrats who are in the pockets of multinational companies who evade paying tax. Thanks a lot Messrs Junker and Tusk, we have had enough.

It might be an advantage however for the Leave campaign as the expats living in EU states other than the UK would be likely to vote remain.

Better off out, and let them sink on the good ship Euro...

If you are an American living in Thailand try to open a bank account without filing out US tax forms. The new FATCA rules are designed to catch Americans hiding their millions in Thailand and other places. Passive income is still taxed, if you earn enough, and requires the filing of a US tax return. They are not so much interested in getting tax money from us but in finding out much we have stashed offshore and where it came from. Does the US provide the same info on Thais having bank accounts in the USA? I doubt it.

If you are an American living in Thailand try to open a bank account without filing out US tax forms. The new FATCA rules are designed to catch Americans hiding their millions in Thailand and other places. Passive income is still taxed, if you earn enough, and requires the filing of a US tax return. They are not so much interested in getting tax money from us but in finding out much we have stashed offshore and where it came from. Does the US provide the same info on Thais having bank accounts in the USA? I doubt it.

Yes they do. Reciprocal agreement was just signed by both countries on this subject.

I'm an American, and I could not agree with you more. Shameful tax regime in America...you're always working for the plantation owners, no matter where you live, and they never let you forget it...only the US and Eritrea do this for Christ sake...American exceptionalism at its worst!

No, Canada does it too. If you can manage to jump through the hoops, you can get non-resident status but it's bloody close to impossible if you still have bank account, furniture, friends, etc back home.

No, Canada does it too. If you can manage to jump through the hoops, you can get non-resident status but it's bloody close to impossible if you still have bank account, furniture, friends, etc back home.

Canada has the same system as everywhere apart from Eritrea and the USA: it taxes based upon residency. Eritrea and the USA tax based upon citizenship.

And the Canadian system isn't nearly as draconian as you suggest. You simply have to "severe all significant residential ties". The "significant residential ties" are defined by the CRA as: "a home in Canada; a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and dependants in Canada". Nothing at all to do with bank accounts, furniture and friends.

Edited by Oxx

Canada has the same system as everywhere apart from Eritrea and the USA: it taxes based upon residency. Eritrea and the USA tax based upon citizenship.

And the Canadian system isn't nearly as draconian as you suggest. You simply have to "severe all significant residential ties". The "significant residential ties" are defined by the CRA as: "a home in Canada; a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and dependants in Canada". Nothing at all to do with bank accounts, furniture and friends.

I and another friend tried it. I was told I am a resident in Canada for tax purposes until I claimed no bank account, no mailing address in Canada, no investments in Canadian stocks, or no furniture in the barn in storage on the family farm. If you managed it great, me ....not.

Not necesaaruly true

You only can get that overseas income exemption if you work for a U.S. company but are paid OUTSIDEof the U.S for that work.

I know, i filed for that overseas exem[tion for many years as i worked as civiliuan consultant for a U.S. company outside the U.S.

If you are working for a foriegn company you are NOT necessarily eligable for that overseas tax esemtion.

That is why on the 2555 form for that "overseas tax exenption" the first thing the IRS wants is the U.S. business of the U.S. company you work for.

Without that U.S. busness adress of your employer you might not be eligable for that 2555 foriegn income exem[tion.

Edited by IMA_FARANG