Top brass police gather in Hua Hin as final suspect apologises for brutal attack

rooster59

Nothing 20 lashes would make think about what they done. Anyone I know that would punch a 68 year lady would be publicly flogged or maybe just beat to death.

Hang on there, I hear those 60'ish British ladies are quite feisty and will fight back when provoked, but I do like the Singapore Rules punishments for the guilty............public beating with a cane, none of this 1,000 baht fine and a sorry.gif crap you read about in Thailand that won't cut it in most SE Asian countries.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are just some customs in cultures that clash and seem mutually irrational. There has been considerable discussion on the issue of the Thai custom of admitting guilt and the 'wai' to ask for forgiveness. For those Westerners who have trouble with this concept (including me), I would ask one of you to explain to a Thai the purpose of a Catholic going to 'confession'. In most, if not all, Christian religions, asking for absolution redeems a person in God's eyes. In the physical world, it is up to each and every person whether a person's admission of guilt and request for forgiveness would be accepted. In Western culture, how many person's accused of wrongdoing would admit guilt or ask for forgiveness? It happens very, very rarely.

Just look at the recent situation where a young army recruit was beaten to death by some of his fellow soldiers. The Thai family considered the presence of those responsible for the death at the young man's funeral and 'wai-ing' before the casket the most important matter for bringing resolution for his death. Do I understand? No. Do I need to understand? No. It is not my culture and I cannot impose my values on what is important to this family and how they bring closure for the death of their son.

In a party atmosphere such as Songkran that is fueled by alcohol, amphetamines, and many other drugs of choice, one needs to be aware that a small incident can quickly become a big issue. If the members of the British family had also been drinking -- then this could have been part of the problem.

However, the bigger issue presented in this discussion is a dialogue by Westerners who can only criticize another culture because it is irrational to them.

Just to answer the poster regarding cultures- no culture is superior to another. However , throughout history cultures have risen and fell normally due to greed. Most long standing cultures have brought great advances and change to the World. At this juncture in World History we are seeing a clash of civilizations and a degradation of ALL cultures. The Western mindset and culture still feels they are superior to all others and should dominate, however, Asian cultures and sensitivities go back thousands of years. What is caused the clash is the intrusion on each others culture without showing any respect. There are too many foreigners who come to Thailand with a chip on their shoulder and believe the Thai people are their minions and because money is spent that makes it all correct. I could actually write a book on the loutish, drunken, condescending behavior of foreigners towards Thai people that I have personally witness over many decades. Is it no wonder Thais have 'foreign fatigue'. What ever happened to manners. respect for others and fair play.

The problems in Thailand are many , yet foreigners come here and criticize everything. Some of it is true but if you invite me to your home- would you like me to criticize it in front of you? I cannot name a country in this day and age that does not have serious issues. However, it is up to the people of each country to solve their problems.

This whole incident shows me there are so many things that are wrong with all societies. Would your grandmother and grandfather travel to a foreign country or even their own country and get into a fight? Would a member of your Thai family kick and punch elderly people? If you answer yes- then I pity your family. They are part of the problem and not the solution.

The level of education around the World has declined over the last 20 years. Parents, schools, religious organizations; and society in general do not teach ethics; manners; proper decorum; or respect for others. Society itself is on a downward spiral fueled by greed; a me first attitude and the abuse of drugs and alcohol. Let's try and remember the Golden Rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated . Try it- it works.

I blame Television and the Movie Industry.................coffee1.gif

Just to answer the poster regarding cultures- no culture is superior to another. However , throughout history cultures have risen and fell normally due to greed. Most long standing cultures have brought great advances and change to the World. At this juncture in World History we are seeing a clash of civilizations and a degradation of ALL cultures. The Western mindset and culture still feels they are superior to all others and should dominate, however, Asian cultures and sensitivities go back thousands of years. What is caused the clash is the intrusion on each others culture without showing any respect. There are too many foreigners who come to Thailand with a chip on their shoulder and believe the Thai people are their minions and because money is spent that makes it all correct. I could actually write a book on the loutish, drunken, condescending behavior of foreigners towards Thai people that I have personally witness over many decades. Is it no wonder Thais have 'foreign fatigue'. What ever happened to manners. respect for others and fair play.

The problems in Thailand are many , yet foreigners come here and criticize everything. Some of it is true but if you invite me to your home- would you like me to criticize it in front of you? I cannot name a country in this day and age that does not have serious issues. However, it is up to the people of each country to solve their problems.

This whole incident shows me there are so many things that are wrong with all societies. Would your grandmother and grandfather travel to a foreign country or even their own country and get into a fight? Would a member of your Thai family kick and punch elderly people? If you answer yes- then I pity your family. They are part of the problem and not the solution.

The level of education around the World has declined over the last 20 years. Parents, schools, religious organizations; and society in general do not teach ethics; manners; proper decorum; or respect for others. Society itself is on a downward spiral fueled by greed; a me first attitude and the abuse of drugs and alcohol. Let's try and remember the Golden Rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated . Try it- it works.

'I could actually write a book on the loutish, drunken, condescending behavior of foreigners towards Thai people that I have personally witness over many decades. Is it no wonder Thais have 'foreign fatigue'. What ever happened to manners. respect for others and fair play.'

​a book could be written on the lies, theft, cheating and near constant attempts at rip offs by thais against visitors, all justified by the belief of many thais that thai and thailand is the best and others are inferior. What happened to fair play? when the story broke of burmese used as slaves on thai fishing boats i asked a university educated thai friend what she thought of it, 'its only burmese' was her response, so when do thais give a hoot about fair play?

If you wish to believe that any foreigner who has a problem with thais must be a low class, drunkard sex tourist go ahead, but it certainly isnt the case

"The parents, 68 year old Lewis Owen and his wife Rosemary, also in her sixties, are now out of hospital and are staying in a Hua Hin hotel and will go back to the UK (and their home in Wales) on May 3rd."

Apparently they have sworn to never return to Thailand. That means that they won't be able to press charges since they won't be here for the trial.

No charges, case closed, suspects released.

Back to Wales then - Rosemary can continue to smack people around the face in miserable Wales as UK law comes down extremely harsh when males react in an equally unhealthy manner.

Most civilized nations (Thailand is not one of them) have proportionality when you defend yourself against assaults... and kicking someone in the head because they slapped you is not proportional.

"The parents, 68 year old Lewis Owen and his wife Rosemary, also in her sixties, are now out of hospital and are staying in a Hua Hin hotel and will go back to the UK (and their home in Wales) on May 3rd."

Apparently they have sworn to never return to Thailand. That means that they won't be able to press charges since they won't be here for the trial.

Considering the Video evidence showed they were the perpetrator's in all this, maybe they have been advised not to return due to being charged themselves? In all my years in Thailand, I have never yet seen a Thai attack a Foreigner for no reason.

Brits abroad don't exactly have a great reputation now do they? Posters trying there hardest here to make out Thailand is now such a dangerous place need looking at. You just tend to reap what you sow.

Some of the attitudes I read on here by some posters towards Thai's and Thailand, seriously make me ask the question 'Why are you out there'?

Someone else asked recently:

And who paid for all their hospital expenses???

I would like to learn about one of the news papers finding out if anyone or any government entity stepped up to pay the hospital bills and expenses involved and or gave the foreigners the called for sincere apology treatment having some actual substance.

The longer you stay here and live here the more you come to realize the Thais are pretty Fxxxed Up in so many ways....and I bet you used to admire them and praise them and even want to emulate them in some ways while informing other people about the wonders of Thai ways and how Thai society is so much better and so much more "cultured" than the so called Western societies.

Every year the illusion fades away to be replaced with the bitter reality while you come to realize all is not what it seems to be......but the illusionists continue to sustain the illusion while a continual flow of new and naïve spectators are captivated by the hat tricks and magical rabbits that appear out of thin air.

Meantime, I still enjoy Thailand and plan to stay here .... but the magic show and the illusionist are now obvious to me while I know their tricks and recognize their "devious" trade.

Cheers

Amen.

The actual facts in this case are clear:

-The Brits escalated the incident with a slap to the face by the lady and a punch by her husband. All they would have had to do was move on- no further incident.

- The son was pushed but fell over due to lack of balance

- The Thais response was way over the top and they have been charged with the equivalent of felon assault. Not all the Thais bear the same responsibility but should be punished accordingly.

- The news media everywhere have misrepresented the truth and left out key portions of the clip showing the Brits slap and punch.

- The police were not present on a holiday, in a crowded entertainment district and thus could not defuse this violent incident.

-The Thai Prime Minister has made comments and dispatched a Senior official to the crime scene.

What truly surprises me from all the posts on this topic is the outright hatred that so many people have of Thailand; Thais; and Thai culture. It is as if this incident has brought out an inner rage in the many Westerners /Foreigners who have some grievance against Thailand. It also shows their ignorance; lack of understanding of how things work in Thailand and their thinking that Western culture is superior to Thailand. This makes me feel more afraid of the foreigners in Thailand than anyone else. There is no doubt that the attack at the end of the clip shows some Thais that lost control and committed a serious crime. However, painting all Thai people with the same brush is just as much an over the top reaction as the incident itself. Thai on Thai crime occurs every day and if you watch the news in Thai every morning you can see it reported. Let's keep this incident in proper perspective.

"Western" culture is superior to thai culture in almost any conceivable way. And the issue is that a very large majority of thai men have the brain of a 5 year old.

Considering the Video evidence showed they were the perpetrator's in all this, maybe they have been advised not to return due to being charged themselves? In all my years in Thailand, I have never yet seen a Thai attack a Foreigner for no reason.

Brits abroad don't exactly have a great reputation now do they? Posters trying there hardest here to make out Thailand is now such a dangerous place need looking at. You just tend to reap what you sow.

Some of the attitudes I read on here by some posters towards Thai's and Thailand, seriously make me ask the question 'Why are out there'?

Most (like all?) on this forum are men. Men usually like women. Thai women are generelly quite beautiful. Men generally like beautiful women. Western men usually do not like thai men in tourist areas. Thai men in tourist areas usually dont like western men.

Get it now?

I hope the British Embassy in Thailand will send a team to follow up on this case and put pressure on the Thai police to ensure that punishments meted out are proportionate to the violence they committed.

And yes, as somebody correctly pointed out, the TAT should invite the family back to Hua Hin for a fully paid holiday.

Sorry, but the British embassy have been on holiday since 2012.

As for TAT offering the family compensation; nobody thought about it yet, but I'm sure they will after reading this. It will be a grand display with all international media present laugh.png

This 'incident' will cost Thailand 100's of millions of baht in revenues and only paved the way for a higher influx of Chinese tourists, not to mention the loss of face.

It's pretty clear to conscious people around the world that there is no law here and that this parade by the cops is fake and just to save their already frail tourist industry.

Let's check back in 2 or 3 years and ask Thais in tourist areas what they think about tourists having a dump in their garden and BBQ-ing their chihuahua on the parking lot, 555!

Som nam na. If you only rake in money but are too miserable to re-invest some of it in infrastructure, safety and education it will collapse eventually. Law of physics. When greed controls peoples hearts the end is near

Very true even now Thais are finding it hard to put food on the table .. Plus there debt is very high these days and on top of this ? They take big loans out on homes and vehicles they cant even afford to pay for .. am expecting an 97/98 eccommy crash sooner or later .. Then its going to be interesting when big companies are already moving offices to neighbouring countries and also working on all types of projects .. I think this maybe the time for people to move on to one of these neighbouring countries to be fair because could lose value on there investments and there retirement savings ...

Ouch ..

Thai banks see profits plunge in Q1, cut rates to boost loans

BANGKOK -- A prolonged slump in Thailand's economy has sent profits falling at its big four banks, prompting them to simultaneously make cuts to lending rates.

Combined net profits at Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai Bank, Siam Commercial Bankand Kasikornbank plunged 16% on the year to 36.049 billion baht ($1.03 billion) in the first quarter of 2016.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Thai-banks-see-profits-plunge-in-Q1-cut-rates-to-boost-loans

I think many are leaving already. Vietnam and Myanmar are becoming more and more popular.

Well it seems so even am reading on other websites people are on the move to places like the above and Cambodia China Indonesia .. Even talking with friends i know in Thailand are getting itchy feet since the junta making thing worse and worse ..

Some of the attitudes I read on here by some posters towards Thai's and Thailand, seriously make me ask the question 'Why are out there'?

Most (like all?) on this forum are men. Men usually like women. Thai women are generelly quite beautiful. Men generally like beautiful women. Western men usually do not like thai men in tourist areas. Thai men in tourist areas usually dont like western men.

Get it now?

Got it. Your only attacked if your a sex Tourist or frequent a tourist area where Thai men are likely to wonder into. I must be frequenting the wrong places where I can never see a Thai attack a Farang for no reason. I must get out more. Cheers.

I think Western culture would be a very good idea. It just hasn't happened yet

The actual facts in this case are clear:

-The Brits escalated the incident with a slap to the face by the lady and a punch by her husband. All they would have had to do was move on- no further incident.

- The son was pushed but fell over due to lack of balance

- The Thais response was way over the top and they have been charged with the equivalent of felon assault. Not all the Thais bear the same responsibility but should be punished accordingly.

- The news media everywhere have misrepresented the truth and left out key portions of the clip showing the Brits slap and punch.

- The police were not present on a holiday, in a crowded entertainment district and thus could not defuse this violent incident.

-The Thai Prime Minister has made comments and dispatched a Senior official to the crime scene.

What truly surprises me from all the posts on this topic is the outright hatred that so many people have of Thailand; Thais; and Thai culture. It is as if this incident has brought out an inner rage in the many Westerners /Foreigners who have some grievance against Thailand. It also shows their ignorance; lack of understanding of how things work in Thailand and their thinking that Western culture is superior to Thailand. This makes me feel more afraid of the foreigners in Thailand than anyone else. There is no doubt that the attack at the end of the clip shows some Thais that lost control and committed a serious crime. However, painting all Thai people with the same brush is just as much an over the top reaction as the incident itself. Thai on Thai crime occurs every day and if you watch the news in Thai every morning you can see it reported. Let's keep this incident in proper perspective.

"Western" culture is superior to thai culture in almost any conceivable way. And the issue is that a very large majority of thai men have the brain of a 5 year old.

I do not believe that every foreigner in Thailand that has a problem with Thais is a low class drunkard. However, I do believe that Thais . in general. have lost respect for foreigners due to the fact that there have been so many incidents of foreign acting out while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. The Thai image of a foreigner-especially from the West- used to be a well dressed; well mannered. kind person. That is not the case now. Foreigners are now seen as rude.overbearing and uncivilized The change has come because of mass tourism and the advent of movies and television showing only unrealistic depictions of foreign life. The Thai Prime Minster has even indicated that mass tourism has destroyed Thai culture. Frankly, he is right. Prior to the 80's- Thailand was a much nicer place with pristine beaches and a more laid back atmosphere. However, Thailand is also to blame because they wanted mass tourism and they eased visa requirements. They have overbuilt every possible tourist destination. polluted the water. and turned many of the tourist areas into dens of inequity.

In my opinion, mass tourism has destroyed much of Thailand's natural resources; increased prostitution; and has caused an imbalance in the Thai economy. Everyone keeps chasing the pound, dollar, euro and to what end. Thailand would be better off without any of it. Instead of concentrating on the tourist influx, had they concentrated on inducing more foreign business to come and relocate to all areas of Thailand- the country would have been better off and its culture preserved and intact.

We were duped for two weeks with the tale that it was an unprovoked attack, but now that the video is out the we can see that it was far from unprovoked.

There is far less sympathy now for this so called innocent family and they should accept their behavior contributed to their downfall and issue an apology.

You're right. 4 people should be charged. The two Thai men who did the kicking, and both Rosemary and her husband as they were the instigators and the "thugs" were the two British men, one holding the Thai man and his father landing the first unprovoked blow. If anyone should be apologizing, it is the Brit family. They will never return to Thailand? Great, I don't think that those of us who get along just fine with the kind, friendly and hospitable Thai people need them around to give a negative impression of falangs.

So you think that if you slap someone you deserve a kick in the head when you are down?I think you should go for re-adjustment my friend.

I do not believe that every foreigner in Thailand that has a problem with Thais is a low class drunkard. However, I do believe that Thais . in general. have lost respect for foreigners due to the fact that there have been so many incidents of foreign acting out while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. The Thai image of a foreigner-especially from the West- used to be a well dressed; well mannered. kind person. That is not the case now. Foreigners are now seen as rude.overbearing and uncivilized The change has come because of mass tourism and the advent of movies and television showing only unrealistic depictions of foreign life. The Thai Prime Minster has even indicated that mass tourism has destroyed Thai culture. Frankly, he is right. Prior to the 80's- Thailand was a much nicer place with pristine beaches and a more laid back atmosphere. However, Thailand is also to blame because they wanted mass tourism and they eased visa requirements. They have overbuilt every possible tourist destination. polluted the water. and turned many of the tourist areas into dens of inequity.

In my opinion, mass tourism has destroyed much of Thailand's natural resources; increased prostitution; and has caused an imbalance in the Thai economy. Everyone keeps chasing the pound, dollar, euro and to what end. Thailand would be better off without any of it. Instead of concentrating on the tourist influx, had they concentrated on inducing more foreign business to come and relocate to all areas of Thailand- the country would have been better off and its culture preserved and intact.

Add to this the poor education system here which churns out unskilled workers and you have a perfect storm!

Someone else asked recently:

And who paid for all their hospital expenses???

I would like to learn about one of the news papers finding out if anyone or any government entity stepped up to pay the hospital bills and expenses involved and or gave the foreigners the called for sincere apology treatment having some actual substance.

The longer you stay here and live here the more you come to realize the Thais are pretty Fxxxed Up in so many ways....and I bet you used to admire them and praise them and even want to emulate them in some ways while informing other people about the wonders of Thai ways and how Thai society is so much better and so much more "cultured" than the so called Western societies.

Every year the illusion fades away to be replaced with the bitter reality while you come to realize all is not what it seems to be......but the illusionists continue to sustain the illusion while a continual flow of new and naïve spectators are captivated by the hat tricks and magical rabbits that appear out of thin air.

Meantime, I still enjoy Thailand and plan to stay here .... but the magic show and the illusionist are now obvious to me while I know their tricks and recognize their "devious" trade.

At last a sane and well balanced comment...amen indeed!

Cheers

Amen.

And at least one Thai drunk in your wife or girlfriend family ..only say because half the time its true .. whistling.gif

Prior to 90's Thai's generally shunned displays of public drunkeness and were all to quick to identify that behaviour with westerners only.

What a shock it must be for the more pompous breed of Thais now to see what is happening to the youth.

Granted, westerners have made an art form of plssing up, but it must be said, we can handle alcohol without getting into a psychotic rage and kicking 60+ seniors in the head whilest on the ground.

For any culture facing this issue it would be a prime time for some honest introspection and a bit of soul searching.

But will that happen with Thais?

I'd like to think so, but observing the Thai mentality over many years, sadly i think not.

Will they consider:

-have we allowed our education system to become completely broken and corrupted through running schools like businesses? For profit only

-have we done wrong by our youth by teaching them a one sided version of history?

-have we been to absorbed in our own world to notice they have been declining?

-is it our fault,we never discplined boys when they did wrong?..and therefor they fly off the handle when consequences are metered out or anyone speaks or acts against them when they've done wrong.

Above is what they SHOULD be considering, but when a whole nation grow up in the arrogance of 'we are never wrong' its impossible.

I think instead of considering the above,what more likely will prevail is:

-watching foriegners drink and them glamourising alcohol and drugs have turned our children like this.

-foriegn movies and violent video games (of the farang variety) has warped our childrens minds.

End thesis- Its the farangs fault

of course he wants to blame foreigners for all of thailands ills just par for the course

'In my opinion, mass tourism has destroyed much of Thailand's natural resources; increased prostitution; and has caused an imbalance in the Thai economy. Everyone keeps chasing the pound, dollar, euro and to what end. Thailand would be better off without any of it.'

without any of it thailand would have its wonderful flawless culture preserved, pity a lot of the thai people would then find themselves without two satang to rub together. Your comment reminds me of posters talking about how some small thai islands where paradise in the late 80's early 90's no electricity, no paved roads, prisitne and now its over commercialized and ruined. They forget it was only paradise for a wealthy westerner to go and experience a simpler life for a week or two but probably wasn't paradise for the thais stuck their dirt poor with no mod cons

Had Thailand, in the 80's, developed a plan to bring business into all areas of Thailand, including Issan, and employing and training local Thais to manufacture goods, instead of opening up the country to mass tourism which caused Thais to further enter the entertainment industry- selling their bodies and souls- Thailand would be much better off. I am not recommending that Thailand should have ignored globalization, or kept its country in a fourth World status, but it is a realization that mass tourism has caused more problems than benefits. It has also brought in foreign criminals; foreign mafia who exploit lax laws and further corrupt the establishment. One cannot blame all of Thailand's ills on foreigners. There are plenty of greedy and wealthy Thais who have taken advantage of their own countrymen . Thailand is not the only place that has lost its cultural identity due to greed and avarice. Many average Thais that I know long for a more simple life, away from the pollution and traffic and definitely away from the madness of a Phuket, Pattaya, Samui or Bangkok.

Many foreigners who come to Thailand want it to be like the country they left with all the niceties and order. If I wanted New York, London or Tokyo- I would go there. Thailand will develop on its own but most Thai people realize that 'progress' has cost them much. In my mind- too much.

Blame it on the drink,say sorry, Wai,get fined 500THB,maybe go to temple

for a few days, end of story,

The Government,TAT,and Police have to realise its not easy to cover stuff

up now, no matter how much they would like to,just about everyone has a camera on their phone,

regards worgeordie

Had Thailand, in the 80's, developed a plan to bring business into all areas of Thailand, including Issan, and employing and training local Thais to manufacture goods, instead of opening up the country to mass tourism which caused Thais to further enter the entertainment industry- selling their bodies and souls- Thailand would be much better off. I am not recommending that Thailand should have ignored globalization, or kept its country in a fourth World status, but it is a realization that mass tourism has caused more problems than benefits. It has also brought in foreign criminals; foreign mafia who exploit lax laws and further corrupt the establishment. One cannot blame all of Thailand's ills on foreigners. There are plenty of greedy and wealthy Thais who have taken advantage of their own countrymen . Thailand is not the only place that has lost its cultural identity due to greed and avarice. Many average Thais that I know long for a more simple life, away from the pollution and traffic and definitely away from the madness of a Phuket, Pattaya, Samui or Bangkok.

Many foreigners who come to Thailand want it to be like the country they left with all the niceties and order. If I wanted New York, London or Tokyo- I would go there. Thailand will develop on its own but most Thai people realize that 'progress' has cost them much. In my mind- too much.

They will always look for the quickest and easiest way to make money,

doing what is correct is too difficult.

regards worgeordie

"He told Wuthi that it happened because they were drunk. "

Try again. I have been drunk many times in my life and never ever was involved in beatings. It happened because they are psychopathic violent losers who figured no punishment would happen for their night of fun.

10 years in Thai prison might give him time to come up with real reason, not lame excuse. Slim chance of that.

I would also implement a full castration for these thugs, to calm any rabid thoughts and actions they think of in the future.

Yes I may be cruel, but in my normal world, we have laws and punishments that would sort out this type of tourist killing actions by these doped up vagabonds.

To think this was the only sperm that survived to create this cretin?

Just remember Thailand and your authorities, You Tube cannot be silenced. IN a wink the whole world knows whats going on, here and in other countries.

Thank you for technology.

Archived