Buying a new Printer for home PC.

Happy Grumpy

Have two old, rather flimsy things that came with various computer's as part of the package.

Ink ran out. Refilled once for 100b, then that's it, you need to buy a new cartridge. Think they cost about the same as the cheap, flimsy printer in the first place.

So would like to buy a new one that has the ink cartridges outside.

Like this:

34e6c9a75561ad6aa06c2c7d12ffb4e0.jpeg

Having a scanner would also be a bonus.

Any recommendations or good/bad experience?

Around 3k baht would great.

Cheers.

I recently saw an add on the Skytrain for a Canon Ink Jet printer that had it own ink tanks already built in. Most printer/inktank set-up's are aftermarket, usually done by the dealer the printer is purchased from. Both printers that I have owned with aftermarket ink tanks, a Canon and an HP worked fine at first but later became problematic and barely usable.

I know nothing more about the Canon I mentioned than what I saw in the add but I would check it out. maybe someone else reading this will know more about it.

I had almost the same printer as the OP and I replaced it with this model from Brother which has Print/Scan/Copy and (more importantly) Wifi, it's a bit more expensive then the one Lopburi3 linked to, but I now have it over 1 year and it works perfectly.

hqdefault.jpg

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/multi-function-printers/brother/dcp-t500w-multifunction-inkjet-printer-with-refill-tanks-print-scan-copy-wifi-p023338/

Edited by MJCM

what's the difference between Laser printers and inkjet printers?

Just looking at them on invadeit.

Inkjet:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/inkjet-printers/sort/price/asc/

Laser:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/laser-printers/sort/price/asc/

This Brother Laser Wifi one seems cheap at 2,500 baht.

http://welcome.brother.com/th-en/products-services/printers/HL-1210W.tab1.html

Wifi would be great as there are 2 PC's that would want to use it.

IMO, Inkjet is better and cheaper to use as you can buy Ink for printers almost every where, but the laserjet cartridges not. And another major issue with laser (could be) if they stop making the cartridges you have to buy a new printer. That would not be the case with Inkjet especially with Refill systems.

However YMMV

Ink jet can print photo quality on glossy paper, are much cheaper to buy and operate (except for ink costs). Normally used in home setting.

Laser are faster operating once warmed up and normally better print quality. Normally used in office setting.

Ink jet can print photo quality on glossy paper, are much cheaper to buy and operate (except for ink costs). Normally used in home setting.

Laser are faster operating once warmed up and normally better print quality. Normally used in office setting.

Thanks.

This would only be used for printing basic word docs and kids coloring worksheets.

Would never need glossy paper or be used for any sort of 'quality' printing such as pics or photos.

If you can get by with mono (black/white) you could get a laser now as they are starting to make very cheap units - but for color the laser will cost more than ink jet and likely be outside your price range.

^ +1

I had the same "mod" as the OP done to my Printer, the difficulty (after a while) was that you had to eject the cartridges (after refilling them) for the printer to notice that you had "replaced" the cartridges. This went fine for a year or 2 but after that it got more and more difficult for the Printer to recognize the "new" cartridges that I bought a new printer (the Brother I linked to).

Oke I could have bought new cartridges at the PC place for a couple of 100 of THB but we (also my wife) got so fed up with it that I bought that one. If you go for a "MOD" go for one with the refillable ink cartridges on the side they are a lot easier. Something like this

post-10213-0-90910500-1462012790_thumb.j

Thanks for the replies.

A4 size only and only black and white, would be fine. Won't need more than that. Though a WiFi one would be a bonus.

If there is no requirement for colour then it's laser every time, no clogging and they happily start every time even after an extended rest.

They don't come a lot cheaper than this http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/laser-printers/brother/hl-1110-compact-mono-laser-printer-p015914/

or with WiFi

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/laser-printers/brother/hl-1210w-compact-mono-laser-printer-with-wifi-p022925/

+1

But with the Hot weather in Thailand, it's (maybe) worth your while to read this

http://toner.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_Toner_Shelf_Living_-_Does_Toner_Powder_Have_an_Expiration_Date%3F

Edit: One other thing before you buy a LaserJet, check if there are Compatible (cheaper) Toner Cartridges other then from the manufacturer available for your Printer, they are usually a LOT cheaper then the original ones

Edited by MJCM

Just replaced our HP Officejet multifunction printer due to head damage and cost of repairs. Very expensive cartridges also.

I bought a Epson L455 recommended by a business user who has quite a few. It was about the same price as the HP was and a little expensive but has Epson bulk ink refillable cartridges and comes with a set of full size bottles too. Scan, copy and print but no fax. Also full wifi network capability, USB connect if you want and Google print capabilities. Can be used for volume printing. Haven't set it up yet but seems like it may be the best option for us. Worth checking out.

Every ink jet printer I have bought clogs up after a year or two. The repair always costs a substantial part of the initial costs, making it a better option to buy a new unit.

If it has a scanner attached, then you lose the scanner as well, unless space is not an issue.

I now use a B/W laser printer, fast and cheap for printing, never dries up, and have a separate scanner which is powered through a USB port.

Colour prints I put on a memory stick and take to the local shop. Once you calculate the cost of ink and paper, this is a cheap option.

But for the last 18 months I have had no need for colour printing.

Is it cheap n easy to get a non-refillable printer modded into one that has refillable cartridges fitted?

Such as this external system.

34e6c9a75561ad6aa06c2c7d12ffb4e0.jpeg

Anyone know? Cheers.

This one looks like a DCP J 100. I've got a DCP J 125 and the difference is unbelievable. The modification of mine was perfect, monster tanks sit in perfect, the way they shut the sensor ( you need to do something to close the sensor, which happens automatically when you're running them with the original and so expensive cartridges.

The J 100 is at my school and a piece of shit', always problems with the senor, but also other things are annoying.

The modification of my J 125 is completely different and there're no tiny plastic pieces visible which the J 100 modification has.Insane.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Brother+printer+DCP+J+125+Thailand&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy5u38nLfMAhUBT44KHWh5BcIQ_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=899#imgrc=IaETRBWVFBYyZM%3A

P.S. if you can get a DCP J 125, they're around 3.5.K. But worth the money, got mine since many years and never had a problem.

Edited by lostinisaan

Had many Inkjets here, waste of time, clog up, ink dries up etc. both the Canon and the Epson had external ink tanks fitted... bought a new HP, very bad move, returned 3 times in the 1st year, at 13 months old and very little use [away over 4 months being repaired 3 times] was only fit for the bin..

Depends on use, mine used in fits and starts, maybe not use for weeks, but this month must have printed at least a 150 sheets..

Bought a Brothers Mono lazer, over 2 years on still perfect + cheap for a new non-brand toner cartridge. for most Black on white is fine, but as a poster above says, I do the same Colour printing put on a memory stick and take to the local shop in the next Village..

post-42643-0-33920700-1462058792_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

Ink jets can get blocked - but at least on most Canon if can not be cleaned you just have to install a new ink cart.

Also believe in commercial photo printing - or at least did until memory stick came back with extra virus load.

Negative for laser at home is electric usage, if not turned off, is much higher than ink jet. But in a country where we have to use airconditioning and refrigerators have to work like crazy to keep things cool it is really not much of a factor if not wearing our green hat.

But if I were only concerned with b/w print believe it would be laser hands down now that prices are so much lower.

Bought the Brother Laser printer for 2,590b.

Fantastic quality, and a great setup (WiFi). Would never go back to ink printers again. smile.png

Thanks all.

. Please page me if you need some outstanding color prints.. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the problems with Canon ink printers: We have had issues starting about 2 weeks after purchasing one of the Canon ink jet printers with the external tanks. The seller has glued the tanks to the side of the printer level with the bottom of the printer. Today we are bringing it back to the seller to see if he can remove the external tanks and re-position them half way up the side of the printer as recommended in a previous post. Time to start looking for either a good laser printer in mono or color. Color laser would be nice since we live several miles from any place to get color prints from a print shop.

After a few weeks of the laser printer, I would never, ever, ever go back to an ink one.

Good for you that you are happy, but I love my all in one ink jet, as I scan / copy quite often and that would require at least an extra device and more hassle.

But as said, I am glad you happy and that is what counts

:wai: