Best sharwarma in Pattaya?

Spaniel

I have tried many of the sharwarma shops in Pattaya and my favorite is the one run by the Egyptian guy on Second Road near the intersection with Pattaya South. As you go on Second road from the intersection heading north his shop will be about 50 m on the left.

post-11958-0-96923400-1462005737_thumb.j

post-11958-0-13248800-1462005804_thumb.j

post-11958-0-11021900-1462005852_thumb.j

Doner is Turkish. Schwarma is Arabic.

I find the street stuff like that here appallingly bad.

People must be very drunk to actually think it's good.

My reference point is a Palestinian schwarma place in San Francisco, about 10 times better.

Edited by Jingthing

Haven't found a good one in 15 years...some are better than others but no great ones. They can't seem to make a proper garlic sauce condiment! The best I've had are at Jeruselem Scwarma in Angeles City, Philippines ?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I know a Thai that runs one of these in a market, friend of the missus. The shutters go up at midnight and the meat is left in place. Shutters come down at 4pm and on goes the grill with the same meat.

I didn't know this until i did some investigation following 3 days of turbulent bowel syndrome after consuming a kebeb that my wife brought home for me.

Never again. blink.png

You can also try the Greek version called 'Pita gyros'.

Will be more likely mixed lamb/sheep meat with pork.

The real art is the making of the marinade.

Should normally be available in the average Greek restaurant in Pattaya...

Edited by Thorgal

I have tried many of the sharwarma shops in Pattaya and my favorite is the one run by the Egyptian guy on Second Road near the intersection with Pattaya South. As you go on Second road from the intersection heading north his shop will be about 50 m on the left.

yes, the Best, but I haven't seen him in a Long time, wife yes and relative, but not see him

My reference point is a Palestinian schwarma place in San Francisco, about 10 times better.

Truly Mediterranean was the most popular in SF, on 16th and Valencia, used to be same name shop on Haight, ran by Jordanians , and one in North Beach, last two have closed, 16th and Valencia still going strong

I know a Thai that runs one of these in a market, friend of the missus. The shutters go up at midnight and the meat is left in place. Shutters come down at 4pm and on goes the grill with the same meat.

I didn't know this until i did some investigation following 3 days of turbulent bowel syndrome after consuming a kebeb that my wife brought home for me.

Never again. blink.png

Disgusting...

Truly Mediterranean was the most popular in SF, on 16th and Valencia, used to be same name shop on Haight, ran by Jordanians , and one in North Beach, last two have closed, 16th and Valencia still going strong
don't know ethnicity

Yes, it's been years but it was the famous Valencia place and that was the only one of that brand then. Hugely popular and deserving. Spoiled me for street stuff here though. As it was in the famous for Mexican food Mission, a lot of people thought of their food as Arabic burritos.

If people want real Arabic food here, try the Shish Tawook (spice rub chicken kebab plate) with real deal garlic sauce, 180 baht at the Lebanon Gourmet on 2nd road roughly across from Beverly Plaza Hotel (Arabic,Iranian,Indian part of town). They have cheap street chicken schwarma there too (have not tried it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shish_taouk

Edited by Jingthing

This type of food should only be consumed after large amounts of alcohol

But they do taste amazingly good after said alcohol level. licklips.gif

A word of warning to all.

Don't consume these things in Cars, Pickup's or Bedrooms, they stink the place out for days. wai2.gif

Yes, it's been years but it was the famous Valencia place and that was the only one of that brand then. Hugely popular and deserving. Spoiled me for street stuff here though. As it was in the famous for Mexican food Mission, a lot of people thought of their food as Arabic burritos.

If people want real Arabic food here, try the Shish Tawook (spice rub chicken kebab plate) with real deal garlic sauce, 180 baht at the Lebanon Gourmet on 2nd road roughly across from Beverly Plaza Hotel (Arabic,Iranian,Indian part of town). They have cheap street chicken schwarma there too (have not tried it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shish_taouk

La Cumbre right around the corner, too, Good Times

döner / shwarma different kind of bread. i confirm the OPs recommendation (Egyptian 2nd Road). unfortunately he opens quite late in the afternoon.

yes, the Best, but I haven't seen him in a Long time, wife yes and relative, but not see him

I saw him about a month ago.

I saw him about a month ago.

Thx , Good News

Haven't found a good one in 15 years...some are better than others but no great ones. They can't seem to make a proper garlic sauce condiment! The best I've had are at Jeruselem Scwarma in Angeles City, Philippines ?

I know the shop you're referring. Ate plenty from there. They were really small so you'd need 2 or 3 - I got really sick once... that was the last one LOL.

It's a risk you take buying food kept warm in hot climates, where food hygiene regulations are non-existent.

Remember the days when there was just the one guy doing this, at Marine Plaza ........... sorry !

The Egyption guy featured in this thread was one of the founding purveyors of street kebabs. He used to have a stationary street cart parked directly opposite The Avenue, before it was built, in 2006. At that time it wasn't easy to find kebabs. Not long after McDonald's opened in 2007 he moved to the hole-in-the-wall shop on 2nd Road and the quality of his product went downhill. He lost that personal touch because he started hiring staff and they were never the same again. Soon after he moved every man and his dog started selling kebabs. Over the space of a few years 3 others opened shops near his and mobile units starting popping up all over town. I'll bet he dreams of the money he used to make on his old street cart.

Edited by tropo

There is one on the darkside that only does chicken but I've had a few and they are tastie, never having an issue. Because it's over here and off the main soi it's cheap cheap. There is always a queue which is a great sign.

It's in the little soi that connects Nerpabwan and Noi.