Visa For Italy

I want to take my wife to Rome in September, how does one go about getting the correct visa? it will only be for 4 days, I don't mind paying a visa agent to organise this, so please feel free if you can help to post via pm. She already has a 5 year visa for the UK and that's from where our journey will originate.

Thanks in advance

TP

You may wish to start out with the Sticky on Schengen. It's assumes you apply from Thailand, but as you are married she could also apply from the UK (unmarried couples cannot, except for emergency situations, then they my consider it). See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

Getting the visa from BKK or the UK based Italian embassy should be smooth sailing, the visa should be free, issued ASAP and with minimal paperwork. Ofcourse check out the webpage of the relevant Italian embassy aswell. If you got any specific questions, let us know. :)

• Like 1

you dont say what 5year visa she has . if its a tourist visa she must apply in thailand .if she is a uk resident then its simple in uk at italian embassy.

She is his wife, so this allows them to apply from any relevant (in this case Italy as that is there main destination) embassy in the world. An unmarried couple -with or without UK visa- would only be able to apply from BKK (or elsewhere if the situation is accepted as an emergency). A Thai with residence status in the UK ofcourse would be able to apply from the UK regardless of maritial status. For the OP the visa/residence status matters not as their maritial status gives them the right to apply from anywhere in the world thanks to the Freedom of Movement directive.

I don't do this thing for a living. I'm just a silly Dutchy who bothered to hang around various Schengen/immigration related sites and spent some time reading the Schengen Visa Code etc. Helped a few Dutchies here with Thai partners out, but that's it.

The Schengen visa should be easier to get (in your case, because Freedom of Movement applies) then the UK visa. Did you use an agent for the UK visa? If so, they are an agent like Thai Visa Express (Tony runs it and he frequentlly posts here) can be of assistance.

Though I think that getting a Schengen visa shouldn't be too coplicated.

1) Go to the Italian embassy website:

http://www.ambbangkok.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Bangkok/Menu/Informazioni_e_servizi/Visti/

2) Follow the instructions for an appoinment via VFS (will cost a service fee ) or directly at the embassy (no service fee).

VISA OFFICE – ITALIAN EMBASSY IN BANGKOK

If you choose not to submit your application through the Italy Visa Application Centre, you can lodge it directly at the Visa Section of the Italian Embassy.

Appointments can be scheduled by calling the Call Center Tel +66 (0) 2 2639101. Applicants are required to indicate their general information (name, sex, d.o.b and Number of passport ), the type of visa requested and the prospective date of departure.

Applicants must appear in person at the counter with the required documentation for the type of visa you want to request

The Visa Office is open to the public on Monday –10:00 -12:00 Wednesday 14:00-16:00 – Friday 10:00-12:00.

It is recommended to set the appointment well in advance (at least 3 weeks) compared to the departure date and prestasbilita limited to the days and times established

The office may require a personal interview. In this case, applicants are asked to come up with 15 minutes before the time fixed. In case of impossibility 'to appear, will be necessary to set a new appointment

Each visa application must include all the required documents for the type of visa requested

Applicants can contact our Office by sending an e-mail to the following address: [email protected].

Passports can be picked up on the same days and hours above mentioned.

3) Arrange the documents, as mentioned on http://www.vfsglobal.com/italy/thailand/tourist.html --> http://www.vfsglobal.com/italy/thailand/pdf/Tourist_Checklist_291015.pdf

3a) The application form that needs to be filled in, skip questions marked with an astriks (*). This is allso indicated on the form itsef (EU/EEA nationals shall not be filled in by family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens:

- http://www.vfsglobal.com/italy/thailand/pdf/ModulovistoSchengen1.xls (why no PDF?)

- http://www.vfsglobal.com/netherlands/thailand/pdf/Schengen_Visa_Application.pdf (English form from the Dutch embassy, but obviously all questions are exactly the same, might be easier to print and fill in)

3b) Submit the Thai passport and 1-2 copies.

3c) Copy of your passport (proof of ID and your nationality so they can see you are British)

3d) Copy and original maritial papers. If in Thai, also supply a translation (to confirm that she is your spouse)

3d) Some sort of indication that she will join you, could be as simple as a written and signed statement by you but you'd mae the embassy more happy if you'd supply a reservation of a joined trip to Italy (from UK or TH to Italy, if need by supply a dummy reservation that you don't actually plan on using).

3e) Ofcourse 2 passport photographs for your wife her visa sticker.

3x) All the rest that they ask for normal applicants can be ignored: no need for travel insurance, itinerary, hotel bookings, proof of economic situation, proof of employment etc. The checklist form on the VFS website is very misleading!! As can be seen from filling out the standard Schenge form those items relate to questions marked with an * and can be skipped.

• Like 1

I've sent the embassy some feedback regarding the checklist which puts people on the wrong foot:

Dear Italian embassy,

I was assisting a British friend with his Schengen visa application for his wife. Being covered by Freedom of Movement this procedure should be straightforward with little paperwork. While checking the information on the VFS website I encountered a few things that could be made more clear.
The checklist document Tourist_Checklist_291015.pdf says:
1) Visa Application form. Check (the form is in Excel format though, PDF would be more user friendly)
2) 2 passport photo's, ok.
3) Valid passport, ok.
4) Round trip booking. Not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
5-6) Can be skipped as indicated.
7) Hotelbooking is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
8) Complete itinerary is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/EG national.
9) Proof of economic sitation is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
10) Proof of sufficient financial means is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
11) House registration is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
12) Original Thai marriage certificate and translation. Ok, but if the couple married in Europe there will not be a Thai certificate. You may wish to remove the word Thai. A European (or any other legal) certificate will do. Plus English translation if in a language that the embassy can not read. You do not require legalisation stamps on the certificate and translation?
13) Name change, only ofcourse when relevant to proof ID and family relation. Otherwise can be skipped.
14) Medical tavel insurance is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
15) For non Thai a work permit, is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national. A couple covered by Freedom of Movement can apply from any relevant embassy in the world regardless of visa or residence status.
16) Parental permission, ofcourse for the border authorities (prevent kidnapping).
17) Copy of Passport, perhaps easier for your archive though previous visas are not relevant for EU/EEA applications and thus not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.
- I do miss proof of ID (passport copy) of the EU/EEA spouse on the checklist?
I conclude ad suggest the following:
I would suggest marking questions 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 , 11, 14, 15 with an astriks (*) and add a note on the paper just as on the Schengen Application form, reading "Shall not apply for family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens".
*It should be made clear for family members of EU/EEA/CH citizens that the embassy only requires:
1) Proof of ID of the Thai national (passport and passport copy)
2) Proof of ID of the EU national (passport copy)
3) Proof of a legal marriage (Marriage certificate, legalized by the relevant authorities to confirm authenticity and an official translation if the original document is not in English).
4) Proof of indication that the couple plans to travel together. A statement from the EU national would already be sufficient by the standards layed out in the Freedom of Movement directive and the guidance handbooks. If you wish something more solid then a airliner ticket reservation should be more then enough proof to show that the couple plans on traveling together or joining eachother in Italy.
5) ofcourse passport photo's and other biometrics etc.
This way there can be no confusion for the VFS staff who may unrightfully ask for more documents then required for family of EU/EEA applicants.
I hope you appreciate the feedback and that you will use the suggestions so that the checklist is in line with the Freedom of Movement directive and prevents arguments at the VFS counter.
Kind regards,
Edited by Donutz

I've sent the embassy some feedback regarding the checklist which puts people on the wrong foot:

Dear Italian embassy,

I was assisting a British friend with his Schengen visa application for his wife. Being covered by Freedom of Movement this procedure should be straightforward with little paperwork. While checking the information on the VFS website I encountered a few things that could be made more clear.

The checklist document Tourist_Checklist_291015.pdf says:

1) Visa Application form. Check (the form is in Excel format though, PDF would be more user friendly)

2) 2 passport photo's, ok.

3) Valid passport, ok.

4) Round trip booking. Not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

5-6) Can be skipped as indicated.

7) Hotelbooking is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

8) Complete itinerary is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/EG national.

9) Proof of economic sitation is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

10) Proof of sufficient financial means is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

11) House registration is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

12) Original Thai marriage certificate and translation. Ok, but if the couple married in Europe there will not be a Thai certificate. You may wish to remove the word Thai. A European (or any other legal) certificate will do. Plus English translation if in a language that the embassy can not read. You do not require legalisation stamps on the certificate and translation?

13) Name change, only ofcourse when relevant to proof ID and family relation. Otherwise can be skipped.

14) Medical tavel insurance is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

15) For non Thai a work permit, is not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national. A couple covered by Freedom of Movement can apply from any relevant embassy in the world regardless of visa or residence status.

16) Parental permission, ofcourse for the border authorities (prevent kidnapping).

17) Copy of Passport, perhaps easier for your archive though previous visas are not relevant for EU/EEA applications and thus not required* for a non-EU spouse (family member) of an EU/EEA/CH national.

- I do miss proof of ID (passport copy) of the EU/EEA spouse on the checklist?

I conclude ad suggest the following:

I would suggest marking questions 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 , 11, 14, 15 with an astriks (*) and add a note on the paper just as on the Schengen Application form, reading "Shall not apply for family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens".

*It should be made clear for family members of EU/EEA/CH citizens that the embassy only requires:

1) Proof of ID of the Thai national (passport and passport copy)

2) Proof of ID of the EU national (passport copy)

3) Proof of a legal marriage (Marriage certificate, legalized by the relevant authorities to confirm authenticity and an official translation if the original document is not in English).

4) Proof of indication that the couple plans to travel together. A statement from the EU national would already be sufficient by the standards layed out in the Freedom of Movement directive and the guidance handbooks. If you wish something more solid then a airliner ticket reservation should be more then enough proof to show that the couple plans on traveling together or joining eachother in Italy.

5) ofcourse passport photo's and other biometrics etc.

This way there can be no confusion for the VFS staff who may unrightfully ask for more documents then required for family of EU/EEA applicants.

I hope you appreciate the feedback and that you will use the suggestions so that the checklist is in line with the Freedom of Movement directive and prevents arguments at the VFS counter.

Kind regards,

Thanks for all your help Donutz, I will see how I get on