The Rocket Festival - What could possibly go wrong?

The Rocket Festival - What could possibly go wrong?

rocket.jpg

Few events in Thailand encapsulate the spirit of the Thai people as much as the extraordinary cultural extravaganza to be held in the north east in the month of May ahead of the arrival (hopefully) of the rainy season.

Quite simply ‘The Rocket Festival’ is a must see event for residents and tourists alike, one of the the craziest,most joyous…..and sometimes downright drunken and dangerous…cultural experiences anywhere on earth in which the rural community let their collective hair down.

It may well come with an adults only tag but don’t let that put you off!

Organised in one shape or form all over Isan, nowhere is the festival of ‘Bun Bang Fai’ celebrated with such style and numbers as in the town of Yasothorn some 500 kilometres north east of Bangkok.

Villagers have been busy preparing huge home made rockets for months. They stuff several metre long blue PVC pipes with gunpowder and add a long bamboo tail before transporting their creations to the provincial capital for a weekend of drunken merrymaking culminating in the Sunday firing of the rockets.

The festival comes out of ancient stories about reminding the animist god Phaya Thaen to send the rains for the planting season. Animals in the legend, concerned about drought, make a road to heaven to beseech the god to send rain. After a fight in which the frogs and bees and other creatures prevail the god agrees to send the rains and asks to be reminded each year. Hence the rockets sent high in the sky and the farmers’ revelry.

Yasothorn will see several days of merit making and fun but the main days not to miss are the Saturday and Sunday, this year on the 7th and 8th of May. Saturday features huge parades through the main street in Yasothorn as colourful floats, gaily dressed dancers, beauty pageants, animist demons and monsters mix with thousands of locals and an ever greater number of international tourists. Huge stages are set up roadside for the loudest rock or local music imaginable with the old and the young dancing in the blistering heat all day long. Great fairs are set up and every imaginable trinket and item of food and drink is on sale along with every kind of protective hat and sunglasses you could think of.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/rocket-festival/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-05-01

Went to the one at Sai Muhn just outside Yasothon, couldn't believe how big those rocket were and how high they go, kept my fingers crossed that one didn't misfire and run amok in the crowd.

Great shame that Bun Bang Fai doesn't fit my yearly calendar at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the time when I can get to Yasothon and Kuchinari again.

One doesn't have to get dangerously close to the projectiles, but thankfully the last time I attended nobody stopped me.

post-80674-0-04495900-1462096868_thumb.j

post-80674-0-49312700-1462097457_thumb.j

post-80674-0-06924100-1462096920_thumb.j

I once attended a Shuttle launch, I'd choose BBF now!

Edited by Enoon

Like North Korea here now, seems I missed the rival moos and only saw the locals at ground zero. Oh well, I can still bet on how many seconds they stay up, the local sport it seems.

I guess the dates depend on the locale.

Great shame that Bun Bang Fai doesn't fit my yearly calendar at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the time when I can get to Yasothon and Kuchinari again.

One doesn't have to get dangerously close to the projectiles, but thankfully the last time I attended nobody stopped me.

attachicon.gifDSCF0102.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0101.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0130.JPG

I once attended a Shuttle launch, I'd choose BBF now!

Are these the same guys running the country..

Looks like an ISIS Training Camp, or maybe something the Fat Little Fellow from North Korea put together.

Just kidding folks, just kidding!

Edited by Torrens54

Went to the one at Sai Muhn just outside Yasothon, couldn't believe how big those rocket were and how high they go, kept my fingers crossed that one didn't misfire and run amok in the crowd.

They DO get big alright......

post-148604-0-71323400-1462160898_thumb.

post-148604-0-31125700-1462160985_thumb.

Went to Yasothon back in 2002. Was a great party. Seemed reasonably safe as they had a central launching area for all the electric ignition. No one allowed in area of rocket when launched. Didn't see any go off course towards the crowd. The big rockets are very impressive. When one doesn't work to crowd approval level, the crew is thrown into the mud hole.

The Saturday parade and party on the main street was crazy. One stage after another, each one blaring out music at full volume.

Took overnight train from Bangkok to get most of the way, then a several hour van ride. A long trip, but worth it. Would recommend it to anyone.

People that say wouldn't go because of safety are just being ridiculous.

TH

What could go wrong?? The OP could get it wrong. I'm here now in Yasothon on the 7th and am told its not till next week......thats what could go wrong!! Oh well it looks like a relaxing weekend!

We'll I guess that clears that up. I sent an email to TAT and they never responded. I planned for next weekend, so looks like I got lucky.

What could go wrong?? The OP could get it wrong. I'm here now in Yasothon on the 7th and am told its not till next week......thats what could go wrong!! Oh well it looks like a relaxing weekend!

We'll I guess that clears that up. I sent an email to TAT and they never responded. I planned for next weekend, so looks like I got lucky.

Well I hope you have accommodation already.......everything seems to be booked out (on internet). Going to try a couple of the resorts on the outskirts on our way home Monday. Shame I was looking forward to it.

Well I hope you have accommodation already.......everything seems to be booked out (on internet). Going to try a couple of the resorts on the outskirts on our way home Monday. Shame I was looking forward to it.

We're staying in Rasi Salai (si saket)

Last night I'm in Rasi Salai eating dinner and everyone there says it's over. It was last weekend. We happened to run in to a few of the wife's relatives from Yasothon this morning, and they say no its this weekend for sure.

I've never seen such confusion over the dates of an event before. TIT I suppose.