Internet connection to Smart TV Question

meyori

Hi,Hope someone has a good recommendation. We just got 3BB internet at home with hope that we can use the internet connection to both laptop and smart TV.

Our house is three story building plus single story room (it used to be our business office in the past which is attached to the main house with about 2m wide passage.) Our smart TV is on the 2nd floor and laptop is preferred to be used at the office room.

The 1st technician from 3BB came to install lines. We told him that we would like to use both smart TV and laptop. He told us we can put the router any place in the house. So we chose the office room.

As we had a problem connecting internet, even for the laptop at the office room, the 2nd 3BB technician showed up. He fixed a problem with line and internet started to work for the laptop at the office room. BUT still wifi signal would not reach to the smart TV.

This 2nd technician suggested us to buy a wifi repeater. We went to Banana IT to buy one. They sell the product, but they can NOT install. So we went back to 3BB to see if any of theirs can help. The lady at the office gave us a phone number for one of their staff who will do after-work job.

He came to our house and told us that wifi repeater will NOT work and need to connect landline to the smart TV or we need to move the router to by the smart TV.

We really do not want to have lots of lines go around the house and make drill holes on the wall. Is there any good solution for this ?

Hi,Hope someone has a good recommendation. We just got 3BB internet at home with hope that we can use the internet connection to both laptop and smart TV.

Our house is three story building plus single story room (it used to be our business office in the past which is attached to the main house with about 2m wide passage.) Our smart TV is on the 2nd floor and laptop is preferred to be used at the office room.

The 1st technician from 3BB came to install lines. We told him that we would like to use both smart TV and laptop. He told us we can put the router any place in the house. So we chose the office room.

As we had a problem connecting internet, even for the laptop at the office room, the 2nd 3BB technician showed up. He fixed a problem with line and internet started to work for the laptop at the office room. BUT still wifi signal would not reach to the smart TV.

This 2nd technician suggested us to buy a wifi repeater. We went to Banana IT to buy one. They sell the product, but they can NOT install. So we went back to 3BB to see if any of theirs can help. The lady at the office gave us a phone number for one of their staff who will do after-work job.

He came to our house and told us that wifi repeater will NOT work and need to connect landline to the smart TV or we need to move the router to by the smart TV.

We really do not want to have lots of lines go around the house and make drill holes on the wall. Is there any good solution for this ?

Either, the TV isn't smart, or the "technicians" got the wrong job. What type of router have you got? You should have three, or more LAN ports and you can connect your TV directly via LAN cable.

I might buy a smart TV made in Thailand that has got wireless and a LAN connection for 8.9K. The three year warranty and the statement that all provinces have shops who can fix them sounds great.

If you can't run a LAN to your TV, then please try a TENDA wireless antenna. It works with a USB cable up to five meters. Best of luck.

P.S. I'd contact them and tell them to connect it properly, because they obviously made a huge mistake in the beginning.

does your TV recognize your wifi connection and show it an an available connection ? If so there is no problem with the wifi. I have an lg tv and it would show my wifi as an available connection but when I entered the wifi password it would not recognize it. I spent hours trying to sign in but it would not connect. In the end I turned off all the phones, iPads and computes that were on my wifi, rebooted my router and then tried signing in again . It worked and stayed working even after I turned back on all the phones etc that were using wifi.

does your TV recognize your wifi connection and show it an an available connection ? If so there is no problem with the wifi. I have an lg tv and it would show my wifi as an available connection but when I entered the wifi password it would not recognize it. I spent hours trying to sign in but it would not connect. In the end I turned off all the phones, iPads and computes that were on my wifi, rebooted my router and then tried signing in again . It worked and stayed working even after I turned back on all the phones etc that were using wifi.

Which could be the OP's problem. thumbsup.gif

Get a ac2400 or ac3200 router of any brand (asus is good). That will give you excellent range of wifi throughout the house. Preferably put the 3bb and the router on the second floor. Your ac2400 router needs to be in bridge mode with the 3bb router. I tried my setup by walking away from my room and 25 meters away I still had a good signal.

Edited by sniffdog

Thank you for your reply. I am really not good at IT things and sorry for more questions. But from your replies, am I understanding right that "Wireless router = repeater" should work for our home ? If so, is setting up wifi repeater simple/easy for someone like me can do successfully ?

At this moment, smart tv gets very weak signal which is not even good enough to update software of the smart tv.