AirCon Brands & Support

Mark0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a different thread:

Reliable professional to service A/C units?

this may be of interest and save some from buying new A/Cs.

osted 23 minutes ago

kaptainrob, on 04 May 2016 - 19:41, said:snapback.png

PT Air Service as mentioned by me in other threads will fix a/c problems. Usually a power clean of compressor and condenser will restore full cooling output but they will also check refrigerant pressures and top up if necessary. 2 years of accumulated dust, regardless of scrupulous primary filter cleaning, is all it takes to reduce a/c efficiency by 50% or more.

PT Air operate from San Patong, south side of CM.

I just had 3 A/Cs cleaned, all for the first time after more than 5 years of heavy use. They were filthy. Now they look and work like almost new, it is really a shame I didn't know they offered this service before it would have saved me 20k baht for the new Panasonic I just bought. From now on I will have them cleaned every couple of years. They also checked the refrigerant, happily none needed. It only cost 350 baht each. Great deal.... would have been worth 500 baht each in hindsight.

Won't help to give name/number of the guys cause they work in Phitsanulok where I live. The guys do A/C installs for Thai Mart, Big C, Lotus, Home Pro etc. but they do the cleaning on their own time. Call the CM Co. listed in the above post by kaptainrob or call Thai Mart and ask for their installers number... should put you on the right track. I'm guessing you won't be sorry if it's anything like P-lok.

You're meant to get then cleaned out 2 or 3 times a year. They will always check the gas but unless there's a leak it normally doesn't need topping up that often.

Daikin 18K inverter was a 29,900 at Siam in January, but, why not wait for a heatwave?

Was it a "Smart" model, then it would be indeed a good deal ! Have seen such prices only for the "Smile" series with less features ...

Anyway, did you mean Siam Air Engineering Co. with "Siam" ?

Well, as I need my air con's by July, still some time to hope and get some 'heatwave' promotions ... if it's not hot enough yet in Chiang Mai ;-)

Siam TV/Electric..."smart" model was 3000 THB extra....my thoughts were: why complicate things....also, what if you turned it on, and weren't able to remotely turn it off...costly problem....They also recommend turning off the ELCB switch, when you're not using it, to prevent surge/spike damage,,,and unnecessary electrical usage. My 18K cools the condo in just a few minutes..so I just don't see the point.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried those new Hitachi ones with the thermal camera in, or in general thoughts on Hitachi models? This youtube shows that the cameras inside them offer lots if features to work out how hot the room is, how hot the peoples bodies are, where they are etc etc more so than the daikin models by the looks of it.

I'm looking for an aircon for a 22SQM sun facing second/bredoom office, i'm in there every day, thinking 18BTU will be enough and trying to decide between Hitachi and Diakin.

Edited by noidontwantatuktuk

Has anyone tried those new Hitachi ones with the thermal camera in, or in general thoughts on Hitachi models? This youtube shows that the cameras inside them offer lots if features to work out how hot the room is, how hot the peoples bodies are, where they are etc etc more so than the daikin models by the looks of it.

I'm looking for an aircon for a 22SQM sun facing second/bredoom office, i'm in there every day, thinking 18BTU will be enough and trying to decide between Hitachi and Diakin.

Daikin Smart also has something like that

Look here: http://www.daikin.co.th/en/product/smart/

and on that page look for "Intelligent Eye"

The two-area intelligent eye infrared sensor controls comfort in two ways:

1. Energy saving: If the sensor doesn't detect any movement, the temperature is automaticcally set to 2°C warmer to save energy.

2. Comfort: The intellegent eye directs airflow away from people in the room to avoid cold draughts.

Ps: I would go for Daikin, but I think that is obvious ;)

I think 18k btu will freeze you out of the room. The 12k btu Panasonic dual sensor, inverter, quick cooling, people recognizing etc. A/C I just put in my 30 sqm kitchen with some am and some pm sun will freeze us out if you let it, Setting it at 28 usually keeps the room cool enough, adjusting down depending on activity, cooking, outdoor temp. etc.. The Panasonic cost me 20k baht installed from Thai Mart.

Just saying....

post-115107-0-64657800-1463288835_thumb.

12K BTU is for a tiny little room. 18K BTU is for an average sized room.

But don't think of going out today to buy a 18K BTU A/C, as everywhere in C.M. is sold out (except of course brands like Haier or Sharp that nobody wants)! We went out yesterday to all the big shops and everyone was sold out of Daikin and Mistubishi. The guy at Siam TV said they had sold more than 70 A/C units by the time we got there yesterday.

But don't think of going out today to buy a 18K BTU A/C, as everywhere in C.M. is sold out (except of course brands like Haier or Sharp that nobody wants)! We went out yesterday to all the big shops and everyone was sold out of Daikin and Mistubishi. The guy at Siam TV said they had sold more than 70 A/C units by the time we got there yesterday.

well then Panasonic and Samsung must be better than most because the 12k Panasonic replaced an old 13k btu Samsung that kept my 30 sqm kitchen cool for the last 6 years. I bought the new Panasonic mainly for energy savings (inverter) and so my wife could give her folks the old 13k btu Samsung to cool their house.

I have 9k btu A/C's in 2 bedrooms both 15 sqm and 9k cools them both fine. Based on my experience anyway I would do some checking around before buying 18k for 22sqm... no matter the brand.

IMHO someone is really selling up.... just saying. Good Luck either way you go. If you will let us hear how it works out for you.

(be advised this is all based on my A/C experience in my house, all facts and figures are accurate)

oh and my 9.5' ceilings are insulated with fiberglass batting... Happy Shopping

Any recommendations on a local shop other than Siam TV, I see it's consistently panned by people for poor after care. So looking for somewhere different than powerbuy, and home pro. Someone mentioned a Daikin shop near mae rim, surely the prices would be higher than a local dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

well then Panasonic and Samsung must be better than most because the 12k Panasonic replaced an old 13k btu Samsung that kept my 30 sqm kitchen cool for the last 6 years. I bought the new Panasonic mainly for energy savings (inverter) and so my wife could give her folks the old 13k btu Samsung to cool their house.

I have 9k btu A/C's in 2 bedrooms both 15 sqm and 9k cools them both fine. Based on my experience anyway I would do some checking around before buying 18k for 22sqm... no matter the brand.

IMHO someone is really selling up.... just saying. Good Luck either way you go. If you will let us hear how it works out for you.

(be advised this is all based on my A/C experience in my house, all facts and figures are accurate)

It may "cool them both fine" for you, but not for us. If you use the calculator you will see that for 15 m2, 18K BTU is recommended. Your tiny 9K BTU A/C's are over-working and racking up your bills. We own a number of A/C's in 2 different properties and all but one are 18K BTU. The Saijo Denki is 12K BTU and the room it is in is always uncomfortable for us.

Samsung units are only a notch above Haier. Some repair people won't touch a Samsung. But hey, whatever works for you.

Who said anything about 22 m2 rooms???

Any recommendations on a local shop other than Siam TV, I see it's consistently panned by people for poor after care. So looking for somewhere different than powerbuy, and home pro. Someone mentioned a Daikin shop near mae rim, surely the prices would be higher than a local dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

There are Daikin shops all over. Prices are better at the larger chains since they buy in large quantities.

Nothing wrong with either Siam TV or Power Buy, Home Pro, etc.

ANy after purchased problems are professionally handled (in my case) by Samsung Customer Service, on the north side of the moat. I agree with the 18K for 22.5, especially since you face west...makes a huge difference. The smaller one will work OK, but there will be hotspots, it will run too much, and it's life will be shorter. THey calculate based on the worst heat scenario, which is what we just had a month of. WIth the inverter is will run at very low power. My April electric was 1390 THB....and I used it 18-24 hours per day, with electric hot water, and frig, 2 computers, TV. Totally comfortable, I wouldn't have wanted it any cooler.

It may "cool them both fine" for you, but not for us. If you use the calculator you will see that for 15 m2, 18K BTU is recommended. Your tiny 9K BTU A/C's are over-working and racking up your bills. We own a number of A/C's in 2 different properties and all but one are 18K BTU. The Saijo Denki is 12K BTU and the room it is in is always uncomfortable for us.

Samsung units are only a notch above Haier. Some repair people won't touch a Samsung. But hey, whatever works for you.

Who said anything about 22 m2 rooms???

in post # 36 noIdon'twantatuktuk wrote:

noidontwantatuktuk, on 15 May 2016 - 10:03, said:

noidontwantatuktuk is whom I replied to regarding the 18k btu in a 22sqm room. I may be wrong about 18k being to big for 22sqm room but I doubt it.

Myself as well as other posters here have said that 9k btu is enough in 16 sqm bedroom. I set my 9k on 29/30 auto all night so it is not working very hard and you usually have to get under the blanket because it is a bit chilly before morning but I'm just an Eskimo you must be a Polar Bear if you need 18k btu A/C in a 15 sqm room. Like living in a refrigerator. Ah but to each his own, one man's comfortably cool is another man's it's to stinking hot.

I'm all for colder, I love all the cold I can get in Thailand.

Doesn't CM have Thai Marts? They are usually very competitive on all things electric.

Edited by tpiety2

• 4 weeks later...

My York 12 BTU is still going strong after 11 years. Service and clean every 2-3 years. I'm about to buy a new one for my living room. I'll stick

to York, Trane or Daikin.

Lazada offers very good prices. But they deliver, only. You can add 1000 + baht for installation.

Edited by sendintheclowns

My York 12 BTU is still going strong after 11 years. Service and clean every 2-3 years. I'm about to buy a new one for my living room. I'll stick

to York, Trane or Daikin.

Lazada offers very good prices. But they deliver, only. You can add 1000 + baht for installation.

2 questions please.

When buying Air conditioners from Lazada who is going to honour the warranty, for example when the aircon arrives gets installed and doesn't work, who replaces it ? Do you have to send it back to the supplier yourself ?

I personally would only buy aircons from a local shop and not mailorder but that's just me

Edited by MJCM

• 9 months later...
On 02/05/2016 at 0:23 PM, MadMac said:

[cut]

Example, for a 30sqm room you could roughly estimate 9000BTU, which is usually called 9BTU. HomePro would sell you 18000BTU for the same space, or in short 18.

[cut]

What's the basis of your BTU calculation?

The BTU calculator I found does support the recommendation made by HomePro.  

http://www.airconexperts.co.za/btu_calc.html

High ceiling, western exposure, top floor, record breaking heat?????  Would call for 18K....remember, it is suppose to cool  under all circumstances except building fire, and it will wear out much quicker if undersized.  That being stated, 15k would be fine in most studios.

I have 20 Samsung Inverter Airconditioners all 18000 BTU. Cheap to buy, expensive to maintain and poor service from Samsung. The problem seems to be that any animals such as geckos or ants get in either unit the motherboard buns out and these are seriously expensive to keep replacing. Equally nobody has any parts so we have to buy spare motherboards so that Samsung can fit in a reasonable time. Never again, I will go for Mitsu or Daikin next time. Daikin you pay upfront but I'm hoping to pay less down the road.

A rat can turn a Toyota into a total loss; never really seen a grind mode on devices with obstructed fans.  Don't be fooled..Daikin is a Texas company that is known for low quality..like Samsung and Mitsu, they have Thai subsidiaries...but certainly not in the same league as Ingersoll Rand, United Technologies, or Johnson Controls.  Johnson Controls last missed a dividend payment during the US Civil War.  But, if you want to buy into that Thai brand fluff; up to you.  I know a place that will accept my Citi card because it is a Thai Bank...bwahhahaha.

AC...  a sad topic for me lately.

I bought 3 units a little over a year ago and one just recently 'went on the blink'....  Service man came, opened it up, and found that an army of ants had made a nest on the circuit board and burnt it up. Unit has a 5 yr warranty but they will not fix/replace it due to the reason for failure....  :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I have Mitsu MrSlim Electric (bit noisy) run 8 to10 hours per day and only one time fix in 5 years  at 600 Baht

Perhaps Next one will be Samsung Wind Free 

starter.jpg

Edited by Pik

On 3/21/2017 at 11:08 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

A rat can turn a Toyota into a total loss; never really seen a grind mode on devices with obstructed fans.  Don't be fooled..Daikin is a Texas company that is known for low quality..like Samsung and Mitsu, they have Thai subsidiaries...but certainly not in the same league as Ingersoll Rand, United Technologies, or Johnson Controls.  Johnson Controls last missed a dividend payment during the US Civil War.  But, if you want to buy into that Thai brand fluff; up to you.  I know a place that will accept my Citi card because it is a Thai Bank...bwahhahaha.

Daikin in Thailand is not Daikin in America.

Daikin is an excellent brand here.

Our A/C guy has been over a couple times recently to sort out small issues. The wife asked him about why there are so many Hitachi units, including inverter units on sale everywhere and how is it the prices are so good? His answer "he has 3 units on two different jobs that he has been trying to get parts for in Bangkok for more than two weeks now." He said the stock for Hitachi parts in Thailand is very low because the brand is not popular at all here. If he needs parts for Daikin, Mitsubishi, Saijo Denki, etc., he said he can almost always find whatever he needs right here in C.M. within 2-4 hours time. Only rarely does he need something that has to come from Bangkok in 48 hours time.

These are the things to look out for when shopping for an A/C. A two week+ wait for parts in the middle of hot season because you wanted to save money  makes no sense.

21 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

easiset to get parts for

Yeah it's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for my guy to find a replacement PCBA that burnt up due to ant infestation. Perhaps he's having issues because it's a Samsung, it's a newer model, or he doesn't have good sources....  :whistling:

I dont know if it relevant in the situation but we had issues once with another item concerning "parts" and it turned out it had nothing to do with "the part". It was the fact that travelling out to us to change it was too low in money and he could make more on doing other jobs.

Too much travelling and hassle for small money.

Just a thought.