Why you shouldn't fear violence in Thailand

webfact

JAMES NEWMAN

violence-against-foreigners-bangkok.jpg
Featured image is by DeeMakMak and used under a Creative Commons licence

BANGKOK: -- Back in July 2013, at the end of my soi, American Troy Lee Pilkington was hacked to death by a taxi driver with a machete.

According to newspaper reports at the time, a disagreement over the unpaid ฿51 fare had resulted in Pilkington getting out without paying and throwing a cup of coffee through the window and over the driver’s face. Grisly CCTV footage of that Saturday night shows what happened next. The driver armed himself with a machete – most taxi drivers across the world carry some type of weapon in their cars, the machete is the weapon sometimes favored in Bangkok – and barbarically settled the dispute outside the 7-Eleven.

A few months prior to this, the same year, a policeman fired off three rounds from his Glock outside our house while in hapless pursuit of a suspected drug-dealer.

Episodes of violence and violent crime are a daily occurrence.

Mostly this street-level violent crime is between two or more Thai nationals, and usually occurs after hours. The combatants have often had more than their fair share of alcohol or drugs or combinations thereof. Somebody has normally lost face, be it through matters of the heart or the wallet.

Despite witnessing several acts of violence in Thailand, however, I’ve never felt unsafe to tread the Thai streets after dark.

That surge of anxiety while being followed or approached through an inner-city housing district in London or Manchester is thankfully a thing of the past.

I’ve always assumed that with the right words and the right mannerisms one can avoid violent situations in most South East Asian countries. Be calm, don’t lose your temper, don’t shout, don’t hit out, don’t throw, don’t spit, keep it together and generally you will be safe here in the streets after dark.

Glancing at the recent shocking footage from Hua Hin is a sobering reminder of all this. An elderly couple and their middle-aged son are knocked out cold on the streets outside a nightclub by a group of Thai men. The video footage of the incident has been solidly doing the rounds on social media and has been picked up by several of the UK’s newspapers.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/understanding-violence-against-foreigners-in-thailand/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-05-02

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good that he feels so safe walking around the street late at night. That is, until it happens to him.. Then his tune will change. Personally, my experience has shown that in most cases a foreigner can smile his way out of most tense situations. I say most because there are times when Thai men simply want to exert some violence. Case in point: I was with my Thai family talking about the water supply using my wife to translate to her father. Out of the blue, the father picked up a large knife used for cutting bananas of the tree and he came at me with blood in his eyes. It was intervened only by my wife and her mother who jumped in front of him. As it turned out, he got angry simply because he didn't like that a foreigner was telling him a more sufficient and modern way to supply water to the house and thought that I should be doing it his way regardless. It didn't matter if I was in the right about it. He was losing face because I would not back down and because he was looking like he was ignorant about this to his family.

If a Thai is losing face by you or anyone. Run! Violence is the only thing they seem to understand.. Their is no compromise with them and as a foreigner, you are always going to be wrong. Even when you are right.

"Mostly this street-level violent crime is between two or more Thai nationals, and usually occurs after hours. The combatants have often had more than their fair share of alcohol or drugs or combinations thereof. Somebody has normally lost face, be it through matters of the heart or the wallet".

Exactly.

I don't fear walking around in Thailand whether it's Bangkok or a rural setting because I know that it's the driving here in Thailand that will kill me first. Driving after dark in Thailand is much more risky than walking through back sois in Bangkok.

Good that he feels so safe walking around the street late at night. That is, until it happens to him.. Then his tune will change. Personally, my experience has shown that in most cases a foreigner can smile his way out of most tense situations. I say most because there are times when Thai men simply want to exert some violence. Case in point: I was with my Thai family talking about the water supply using my wife to translate to her father. Out of the blue, the father picked up a large knife used for cutting bananas of the tree and he came at me with blood in his eyes. It was intervened only by my wife and her mother who jumped in front of him. As it turned out, he got angry simply because he didn't like that a foreigner was telling him a more sufficient and modern way to supply water to the house and thought that I should be doing it his way regardless. It didn't matter if I was in the right about it. He was losing face because I would not back down and because he was looking like he was ignorant about this to his family.

If a Thai is losing face by you or anyone. Run! Violence is the only thing they seem to understand.. Their is no compromise with them and as a foreigner, you are always going to be wrong. Even when you are right.

Who's house? His or yours?

Who was paying for the water? Him or you?

If it was his house you should have just said your piece and left the man to his error.

If he was paying and you were not going to be hit with the costs of his error at some point, you should have just said your piece and left the man to his error.

If this was your house you should have told him to piss off and not set foot on the property ever again.

If you were paying the bill or supporting the man, you should have cut off the funds and told him to never contact you again.

That is how you deal with these situations. The man's behaviour was unacceptable and he should have been dealt with accordingly. As soon as you show any weakness, they will keep behaving in this manner.

Out of the blue, the father picked up a large knife used for cutting bananas of the tree and he came at me with blood in his eyes

Hmm, that makes a bit of a mockery of the headline, doesn't it? I think you should definitely fear violence in Thailand.

But you should facepalm.gif

If you don't it can very well happen to you for the smallest of reasons.

Better to be aware of your environment rather than blindly stumble through...

IMO it depends on where you are, what you are doing and who you are with at the time.

There are certainly some places in Thailand that are more dangerous than others.

From what I read and get from my wife and friends places like Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok and now Hua Hin are worse than others but only in places. During the normal day it is usually fairly much OK but at night with a belly full of booze and a bad attitude it can quickly change.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and mostly the only violence that I see and hear about is at the annual fair in November when the local boys, usually fueled by alcohol fight each other. Now for the 5 nights of the fair there is a heavy police and army presence,.

I lived in a village in North West Thailand,i moved into my girlfriends house and her older son did not want to work so one day i said to him do not think i am going to support you,next thing he gone crazy( HE WAS ALREADY ON JABA) he came at me i shut the door so i could get out into the street,thats when i see a crash helmet thrown into the street next minute he had 2 machets in his hands saying i want to kill you,i hid in a house down the road, my girlfriend called the police i was told by the police i must move out of the house,which i have done.

When people make reference to other places, be it slums in their homeland, the connect looses all relevance. The focus has to be on here and now. The here and now is volatile, especially with rhetoric echoing that foreigners pose a threat to the kingdom. It's apparent that Chinese tourism is the preferred visitor and it's fitting, considering their place in there own society is not to rock boats or not ask questions. Farangs, in order not to be a target of venting, it's best to fade into the shadows. If that's not in our vocabulary, maybe it's time to move on. For sure, the situation in Thailand is not going to change, in fact it may further erode and yes western expats may be the target of frustration. But..lets hope not. It's important to keep in mind, there is definite air of confusion, fear and concern in Thailand, and just maybe we should exercise caution and respect for the countries uncertainties. So...lets be careful out there.

The argument of this article goes something like this: although I have witnessed much violence, it has not happened to me, therefore you should not be worried.

The Thai assimilation is complete.

Well said'

These antagonists just see you as an annoying Ferang adversary. We should be seen and not heard and just pay our dues when summoned.

This is our perverse duty to keep the peace being subservient at all times or could end up getting stabbed or thrashed to sleep with a shovel and take that smile off your face that Thais are famous for.

Just saying ........

He would have been finding a new place to stay within minutes if this happened to me

I lived in a village in North West Thailand,i moved into my girlfriends house and her older son did not want to work so one day i said to him do not think i am going to support you,next thing he gone crazy( HE WAS ALREADY ON JABA) he came at me i shut the door so i could get out into the street,thats when i see a crash helmet thrown into the street next minute he had 2 machets in his hands saying i want to kill you,i hid in a house down the road, my girlfriend called the police i was told by the police i must move out of the house,which i have done.

What do you expect, exactly?

You are living with somebody else's kid and that kid is on drugs. You live with that situation, yet are somewhat shocked when the drug addict turns on you.

Would you move in with a drug addict in your home country?

The argument of this article goes something like this: although I have witnessed much violence, it has not happened to me, therefore you should not be worried.

The Thai assimilation is complete.

clap2.gif

Kid Logic

He ran into the street without looking and nothing happened, so why not continue the behavior?

The loss of face thing can turn events ugly.

The slap by the British woman over a drunk Thai mans face during their celebration period , can be a costly mistake.

I say this with full respect to the poor victim and make no justification for the thuggery .

But Thais watching clearly thought they got their just deserts.

In fact it could have more worse if many more joined in .

I have seen worse.

Thailand is a third wood country still developing .

A newspaper with grizzly photos reflects its stage of development.

Thais are not horrified like westerners at "" Real "" violence.

And are capable of committing it.

I almost married a Thai woman.

But was put off by what happened one evening in 2004.

We were being robbed at knife point .i had just taken 10,000 from an ATM machine on third road Pattaya at 2am.

A man armed with a sharp looking rope blade 8-9 inches long menacingly demanded the money.

He looked like a drug addicted angry son of a bitch so I handed it over.

But the woman who I was with had other ideas .

She smashed the man with a swing wild direct hit to his temple using a long neck of unopened Chang she was carrying from 7/11 .the guy dropped cold.

Banging his head on the footpath .

She then started trying to scratch his face to pieces .

And I had to stop her.

My policy is money aint important .

I nod yes at Thais .

Smile stay calm.

Remember it ain't Kansas

If you understand the concept of "face" and it's importance in Thai culture, you should be wise enough to keep your opinions to yourself unless asked to share them

I seriously doubt that anyone asked you to come here so you can teach them about how you think they should conduct themselves.

What nonsense!

You should definitely fear violence in Thailand. It can come from unpredictable quarters at any time. I consider my wife a passionate and violent woman. From experience I don't leave knives lying around. My father in law who is pretty hi-so has no problem with picking fights. I don't think he can accept his daughter married a foreigner!

How many more stories like this? Makes me think twice about many things here in Thailand. It really CAN BE a very violent country!

You might be right about your case, and your water system idea is much better than the way your FIL is using. BUT - sometimes it is best to be "smart", and not "right".

This is Thailand, and Thai people - like it or not - are Thai and have their own way of dealing with issues. In your case, you probably should have noticed that by going on with your explanations and arguments, you somehow agonize your FIL. So although you might be right about your way of thinking, you should have been smart and just stop. If it's his house - let him do what he wants and live with the consequences. If it is your house, just wait till he goes back to his home and implement whatever system you want without rubbing it in

Archived