Why you shouldn't fear violence in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I learned early on is that when asked a question, depending on the issue, Thais don;t want an answer, comment, opinion other than the one they want to hear.

I know many non Thai's that suffer from the same disease

Westerners here, be they expats or tourists, bring with them a massive baggage of attitude, of which they're not even aware, most of the time, and which causes them to behave offensively to locals. Let's face it, it's near impossible for 'us Westerners' not to think of ourselves as superior, for all kinds of historical and sociological reasons, and it's rather comical to see how shocked we are when we realize that Thai (and Chinese, and Japanese, and all Asian) peoples also consider themselves thus.

This feeling of white superiority is all over Thai Visa Forum,

I don't think all white people are superior, but I know I'm superior.

My IQ is higher, my education is more extensive, my travel experiences are wider, and my income and savings are higher, not to mention, I don't hit women, ever.

In what way would you suggest I'm not superior?

Edited by BritManToo

Westerners here, be they expats or tourists, bring with them a massive baggage of attitude, of which they're not even aware, most of the time, and which causes them to behave offensively to locals. Let's face it, it's near impossible for 'us Westerners' not to think of ourselves as superior, for all kinds of historical and sociological reasons, and it's rather comical to see how shocked we are when we realize that Thai (and Chinese, and Japanese, and all Asian) peoples also consider themselves thus.

My IQ is higher, my education is more extensive, my travel experiences are wider, and my income and savings are higher, not to mention, I don't hit women, ever.

Thank you for proving my point, Brit man ... biggrin.png

Once, Gandhi was asked why he could be so sure that Indians would eventually succeed in kicking Brit men out of their country. Here is his tongue-in-cheek reply :

"The English despise the Indians and the Indians are fully aware of it. The Indians despise the English even more, and the English haven't a clue. That's why."

Your feeling of superiority is the exact limit of your intelligence.

Edited by Yann55

Going slightly off-topic, (but still of interest to this discussion):

Does a similar pack mentality exist in neighbouring countries, such as Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia?

If you get into a confrontation with a local, do 'Marquis of Queensbury' rules apply? Or is it the same 'lets all kick him until he is dead' mentality as in Thailand?

Perhaps forum members with experience of these countries could comment.

Back in the day I was in a Skinhead Gang, you know " You're gonna get you're kin head kicked in " type of boys, we did some bad things that were regretted after the event, saying that I was attacked with some friends by older skinheads and given a twatting.

But we were never as bad as what I have witnessed here when teenage Thai gangs fight each other, those guys are out for blood big time.

Up in Isaan it can kick off big time between rival villages, Machetes, Samurai swords, Guns, they don't mess about.

Edited by Broken Record

Going slightly off-topic, (but still of interest to this discussion):

Does a similar pack mentality exist in neighbouring countries, such as Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia?

If you get into a confrontation with a local, do 'Marquis of Queensbury' rules apply? Or is it the same 'lets all kick him until he is dead' mentality as in Thailand?

Perhaps forum members with experience of these countries could comment.

In SE-Asia the group is more important than the individual. People will go out in group, eat in group, sleep in group, etc. and yes will also fight in group.

That 'Marquess of Queensbury' thingy is long gone in the West too btw.

Sorry, due to various beliefs, biases and attacks expressed in this forum I can't tell if you were joking.

If you were, it was a bloody brilliant reply! :)

If you were not, then in addition to Yan55's reply perhaps, humility? ;)

I have always found trouble here to be avoidable and never have I witnessed anything which was unprovoked. If you provoke someone and then things go south, it is your fault and you should have known better.

So by your logic if you upset a Thai by design or accidentally you deserve to get the crap kicked out of you?

Of course...you should not fear violence in Thailand

Rather...Just learn how to avoid violence and violent situations at all times.....

Cheers

so you are saying that the way we behave in Thailand should be dictated by the violent few?

only the stupid believe in IQ.

I have always found trouble here to be avoidable and never have I witnessed anything which was unprovoked. If you provoke someone and then things go south, it is your fault and you should have known better.

So by your logic if you upset a Thai by design or accidentally you deserve to get the crap kicked out of you?

If accidentally, then you apologize profusely for the unintended slight. If by design, then you are a drag on the gene pool in my opinion. You shouldn’t expect to get away with intentionally bad behavior because you think you are superior to Thais.

However Westerners who give advice on everything with upper air abounds in LOS.
Obviously after a moment it weary.
Again the one who hears a bell only hears a sound.

In the 7 years I've been here, I have made it a point to keep my opinions to myself (except with my wife), and just play the role of the "humble farang". In that time I've only had two situations come up.

First was when 4 young Thai men "scoped" me out buying a gold necklace, and decided they would rob me for it. It didn't turn out well for them. I kept the necklace, and they got hospital bills.

Second was when my wife went to court over a bill she owed prior to our marriage, and an agreement was reached in court that she would pay 500 baht a month. About a month later, 3 Thai men in their late 20's show up at our house. My wife met them outside and invited them to sit at the table. They told her that because she was now married to a "rich farang", they were going to raise it to 10,000 a month. That's when my wife stood up, came into the house and asked me to come outside, where she told me what they had said. I told her to tell them the amount was set by the court, and if they wanted it changed, they would have to go back to the court. One of them puffed up his chest and said they had the right to change it. (My wife translated for me.) At that point I slipped my feet out of the slippers and removed my watch. My wife said something to them, deadly serious. They all looked at me, stood up and quickly left, never to return. When I asked what she told them, she replied: "I told them they had 30 seconds to get off our property, and if they didn't, in 40 seconds I would be calling for ambulances to come get them." All I could do was laugh.

There have been a couple of situations at family gatherings where arguments ensued (normal behavior), and I was asked what my opinion was. My answer? Hey, it's your country, I'm just a guest, so what I think doesn't matter. Worked perfectly, and they went back to arguing among themselves.

Despite the fact that I am highly trained in martial arts, and military combat martial arts, I studiously try to avoid any situation where I might have to use those skills and training, and I constantly keep eyes in the back of my head for any potential problem. I am constantly aware of my surroundings, and always have an "escape plan" ready.

You are just my type of guy, a bit like Jack Reacher, I wish I could be like you, then you go

and spoil it by saying you are a "guest" in Thailand.

Anyway, keep your excellent posts coming.

Rambo isn"t documentary. :-)

I’ve never felt unsafe to tread the Thai streets after dark.

I suspect if you do walk the streets of Thailand after dark...enough times...you will become a crime victim sooner or later...

Don't tempt fate...your karma charm may be wearing thin...

Ive never felt unsafe to tread the Thai streets after dark.

I suspect if you do walk the streets of Thailand after dark...enough times...you will become a crime victim sooner or later...

So we should all stay in our homes after 7 pm?

Some of you guys sound like you're scared of your own shadow.

i could sum up some of the posters here rather easily:

i dont fear violence here

i acknowledge giving the slightest offence to a thai could get me killed

i walk around on eggshells

so therefore i have never had any problems

In my version I would change line three to read:

I understand this is not my native country nor a culture I fully understand, I therefore try very hard not to offend anyone.

Line four:

I walk around here the same way as I walk around in any other country in the world, albeit I may walk around slightly more relaxed in my home country.

The argument of this article goes something like this: although I have witnessed much violence, it has not happened to me, therefore you should not be worried.

The Thai assimilation is complete.

It also seems to suggest cowering to these thugs, every time you go out.

Its worthy to note that the collateral damage is always the British.

Well funnily enough the only time I have come close to violence, in 14 years of visiting and 2 of living here, was recently, in what I regard as a decent bar in Chiang Rai, at the hands of a Dutch or German man (I'm not sure which).

For some reason he started ranting, accusing all and sundry, clientele and staff, of having intimate relations with their mothers. I asked him to calm down, and he threatened to "paste you Englishman". Luckily he then went off howling abuse at all and sundry; just as well really as I am no longer the lean mean steely eyed killer of my younger years, and after 3 large Leos didn't fancy having to run away!

But I rather agree with many of those who post here - there is lots of potential for violence, particularly when many (by no means all but many|) Thai men are obsessed with"face". Understand the threat, and avoid it, just as you would anywhere else.

Afraid of my shadow...no...you...yes...sounds like you may have some Thai style hostility rushing thru your veins...

Face or loss of, is a very important issue in most of Asia, from China to Japan to Indonesia it's an issue BUT, it's how it is. Believe it or not the Chinese and Japanese in general are not naturally violent, yet the Filipino is as are the Thais, the Indons are generally not, neither are the Malaysians. Yes all of the above enjoy a glass or two, well maybe not the Indons and Malays, so where is the common denominator. Can I suggest education and family education at least is where the faults lye. But for sure, it does appear that the Thais have a very small fuse.

Afraid of my shadow...no...you...yes...sounds like you may have some Thai style hostility rushing thru your veins...

Not in the slightest. I'm just amazed at the extent that some of you seem to live in fear, in the same place where I live a happy, calm life.

The argument of this article goes something like this: although I have witnessed much violence, it has not happened to me, therefore you should not be worried.

The Thai assimilation is complete.

It also seems to suggest cowering to these thugs, every time you go out.

Faced with the choice: cower, or spending three months in Bangkok Hospital getting my face rebuilt, loss of sight plus the loss of 3.5 mill. Baht, I choose cower.

In the 7 years I've been here, I have made it a point to keep my opinions to myself (except with my wife), and just play the role of the "humble farang". In that time I've only had two situations come up.

First was when 4 young Thai men "scoped" me out buying a gold necklace, and decided they would rob me for it. It didn't turn out well for them. I kept the necklace, and they got hospital bills.

Second was when my wife went to court over a bill she owed prior to our marriage, and an agreement was reached in court that she would pay 500 baht a month. About a month later, 3 Thai men in their late 20's show up at our house. My wife met them outside and invited them to sit at the table. They told her that because she was now married to a "rich farang", they were going to raise it to 10,000 a month. That's when my wife stood up, came into the house and asked me to come outside, where she told me what they had said. I told her to tell them the amount was set by the court, and if they wanted it changed, they would have to go back to the court. One of them puffed up his chest and said they had the right to change it. (My wife translated for me.) At that point I slipped my feet out of the slippers and removed my watch. My wife said something to them, deadly serious. They all looked at me, stood up and quickly left, never to return. When I asked what she told them, she replied: "I told them they had 30 seconds to get off our property, and if they didn't, in 40 seconds I would be calling for ambulances to come get them." All I could do was laugh.

There have been a couple of situations at family gatherings where arguments ensued (normal behavior), and I was asked what my opinion was. My answer? Hey, it's your country, I'm just a guest, so what I think doesn't matter. Worked perfectly, and they went back to arguing among themselves.

Despite the fact that I am highly trained in martial arts, and military combat martial arts, I studiously try to avoid any situation where I might have to use those skills and training, and I constantly keep eyes in the back of my head for any potential problem. I am constantly aware of my surroundings, and always have an "escape plan" ready.

You are just my type of guy, a bit like Jack Reacher, I wish I could be like you, then you go

and spoil it by saying you are a "guest" in Thailand.

Anyway, keep your excellent posts coming.

Rambo isn"t documentary. :-)

And I wonder did they take your watch and slippers when they beat a hasty retreat

"Generally Safe". This OP is an idiot. Being a safe country does not mean that you have follow a set of specific rules that in many cases are only known to the Thai person and changes bases on the amount of drugs and liquor they have had that day. Using normal commonsense does not make you safe in Thailand. As a foreigner you are a target in most situations.

"Using normal commonsense does not make you safe in Thailand".

Maybe not, but it sure helps an awful lot. Don't get drunk. mind your own business, and 99.9% of the time you will be perfectly safe in Thailand.

Agree. I've lived here for 7 years now. and have never felt threatened. From anecdotal evidence in Chiang Mai, it's the falangs who behave like idiots that get themselves into trouble.

I agree except to say that the son was initially knocked or pushed down by the Thai drunk with a bottle who he innocuously brushed by, and this man was already trying to start a fight with another Thai at the beginning of the video. Given the age of the victims, this is without doubt unexcusable cowardly behaviour. However, as soon as it kicked off, they should have picked up their son and got the hell out of there asap instead of confronting the drunken assailant and provoking more aggression. They are obviously not at all streetwise. I would now, in my sixties, avoid crowds of young drunks like this during a festival at anytime anywhere in the World! April 13 was the Thai equivalent of Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve which is when, in the UK, most people of my age; their age, if they have any sense will avoid the city centre with its bars and clubs like the plague! This is also true of any Friday or Saturday night in most UK city centres when the streets are full of groups of potentially out of control young binge-drinkers. When so many people are that drunk and hyped up with the festival atmosphere violence can kick off at anytime.

Edited by SunsetT