Currency in Penang

I would just add that it is worth spending an extra 30 MYR to use an agent to get the visa (elsewhere, I rarely use agents). The Penang consulate is a bit out of the way, and the agent fee worth it to avoid two round trips there.

Hope your trip goes well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many years since I've been down there so things may have changed.

I always used to use one of the several agents on Lebum Chulia near what used to be the Swiss Hotel, I believe it has changed now but no reason for the agents and money changers not to be still there.

post-35075-0-21259400-1464006243_thumb.j

smile.png

don't forget, you'll need submit 2 photos with your visa application.

Not sure if it is normal but the agent I used just took a pic of me with his phone. It took less than 5 minutes altogether. They even filled in the forms for me and I just signed them.

I use to take the local bus to the Thai embassy ,about 2 stops after the hospital .get on the bus at the pier , bus driver use to say where to get off the bus

I use to do it myself ,the embassy closes for lunch midday ,to 2 pm ,the overnight train back to BBK use to leave at 3 pm ,I use to pick up my visa just before midday ,then catch the 3 pm train ,at the time I would have had to wait an extra day using an agent ,passport use to come back middle of the afternoon ,after the train has left .

This was a few years ago things might have changed .