Traffic Signals

Hobgoblin

I seem to remember posting a message along these lines sometime last year, but this issue is getting out of hand again, to the point of being ludicrous.

Traffic lights are installed at key intersections throughout the city, but are never used except as flashing reds or ambers. Even some lights that have been working for ages are now being turned off. For the life of me, I cannot even begin to comprehend how a city can spend the money to install signals, but just let them sit there unused while traffic in the city is getting worse day by day. As someone who drives a car, this is very frustrating, and dangerous.

These are the intersections that I've noticed that have non-working signals:

1) Thappraya and Theprassit Roads (was working for a little while months ago)

2) Thappraya and Pratamnak Hill Roads

3) Thappraya and 3rd Road Viaduct

4) 3rd Road and Pattaya Soi 17

5) Thappraya and 2nd Road/Lower Pratamnak Road

6) Pattaya Klang & Soi Arunothai/ Soi Yumae (Carrefour)

7) Sukhumvit Road & Sukhumvit Soi 53 (Nern Plub Wan)

Intersections that need signals badly:

1) Pattaya Tai and Soi Kophai/Soi Bongkot

2) Therprassit Road and Theprassit Soi 8

Feel free to add to either list.

I've driven all around Thailand, and every city seems to have their act together in one shape or form regarding traffic. Why does Pattaya, a key tourist area, neglect this area so? With high-season right around the corner, we know that traffic will be at its peak - and with all the out-of towners milling into the city, this situation will come to a head if something isn't done.

Maybe they purchased the traffic light systems, but didn’t pay for the maintenance or the training to self maintain. It is terrible what ever the reason. A major tourist hub, with incorrect public transport and no traffic light system.

In my opinion city hall has a lot of maturing to do.

I seem to remember posting a message along these lines sometime last year, but this issue is getting out of hand again, to the point of being ludicrous.

Traffic lights are installed at key intersections throughout the city, but are never used except as flashing reds or ambers. Even some lights that have been working for ages are now being turned off. For the life of me, I cannot even begin to comprehend how a city can spend the money to install signals, but just let them sit there unused while traffic in the city is getting worse day by day. As someone who drives a car, this is very frustrating, and dangerous.

These are the intersections that I've noticed that have non-working signals:

1) Thappraya and Theprassit Roads (was working for a little while months ago)

2) Thappraya and Pratamnak Hill Roads

3) Thappraya and 3rd Road Viaduct

4) 3rd Road and Pattaya Soi 17

5) Thappraya and 2nd Road/Lower Pratamnak Road

6) Pattaya Klang & Soi Arunothai/ Soi Yumae (Carrefour)

7) Sukhumvit Road & Sukhumvit Soi 53 (Nern Plub Wan)

Intersections that need signals badly:

1) Pattaya Tai and Soi Kophai/Soi Bongkot

2) Therprassit Road and Theprassit Soi 8

Feel free to add to either list.

I've driven all around Thailand, and every city seems to have their act together in one shape or form regarding traffic. Why does Pattaya, a key tourist area, neglect this area so? With high-season right around the corner, we know that traffic will be at its peak - and with all the out-of towners milling into the city, this situation will come to a head if something isn't done.

Dont start me on the state of the roads in pattaya even if the traffic lights are working most drivers pay little or no attention to them. And where are the boys in brown to enforce the laws of the road(only enforceing one guess which one) And the state of the roads are a disgrace i have to travel from soi khaotalo in to pattaya and its a mine field of dug up holes a big shame on the city fathers. Beach road to still after many many years is still not finished with high-season just around the corner was it not supposed to be finished for last high-season what a joke. sorry to highjack the thread but it makes me so angry to see the place i live in this way :o

Edited by mazo

Each year the tourist industry makes shed loads here in Patters. At least some people pay tax, and yet the roads get worse not better, why ?

Can not TAT or the larger hotel/travel agencies put pressure on the city fathers ?

Something does not add up, I'm confused. :o

Each year the tourist industry makes shed loads here in Patters. At least some people pay tax, and yet the roads get worse not better, why ?

Can not TAT or the larger hotel/travel agencies put pressure on the city fathers ?

Every tourist that comes to Thailand pays tax 7% tax on everything they purchase. Even if the bar owner- business selling to tourist doesn’t pay tax, the supplier he purchased his goods from will. Also tax is charged on electric, water, Sat TV, so there is plenty of tax being paid by each and every tourist.

This amount 7% all day long, from tourists, the least the town could do is provide the services they set out in there agendas and well publicised meetings. :D

Though on a positive note, the work on Pattaya beach front formally carried out and work presently being carried out is a big leap in the right direction. :D

Credit where credits due…

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the Traffic lights are back on and working. :D

However I cannot believe it, now there are bigger traffic jams than ever. Now the lights are on, it is more difficult to cross the road. Finally they have switched them on, but did they ever do a computer simulation to find the best setting for the lights?

Perhaps they are still waiting for one of the computer engineers from Tukcom “Hi Mr, where is town hall, I not know” :o

I can hardly believe I am saying this, The roads seemed better with the lights off… :D

If you are here in Thailand for a longer period, and have adopted the "Thai" way of driving, you'll find yourself wishing every traffic light to be off!

However, for the uninitiated, defensive, visiting driver, the lights are a godsend. Without them they would be sitting in front of the junction for half a day until a "gentlemen" driver will let them into traffic :o:D:D

If you are here in Thailand for a longer period, and have adopted the "Thai" way of driving, you'll find yourself wishing every traffic light to be off!

However, for the uninitiated, defensive, visiting driver, the lights are a godsend. Without them they would be sitting in front of the junction for half a day until a "gentlemen" driver will let them into traffic :o:D:D

You are spot on, even on foot it is better to have the lights off,

I have noticed a direct correlation between the number of traffic lights and the number of visible BIB's with hand phones and traffic management degrees.

Apparently these were purchased at bargain basement prices :D as they seem to be the older 'manual' type of lights that require hands-on attention. :o

I have noticed a direct correlation between the number of traffic lights and the number of visible BIB's with hand phones and traffic management degrees.

Apparently these were purchased at bargain basement prices :D as they seem to be the older 'manual' type of lights that require hands-on attention. :o

you can always spot em...the`re the ones in the tailors shops insisting that the trousers have extra large size pockets :D

The VAT is similar to a national sales tax and goes to the coffers of the central government not directly to the city. I suppose there is no guarantee that Pattaya gets it's fair share in the disbursement which I feel should be proportionate to the way it was collected. Not only roads but the entire infrastructure is at the breaking point. In America, it is not unusual to place a parcel tax on new developments (both residental and commercial) to help finance the costs of maintaining and expanding the infrastructure. Perhaps something similar should be considered.

you can always spot em...the`re the ones in the tailors shops insisting that the trousers have extra large size pockets :D

Perhaps we could contact the government’s finance department and explain that it would be easier for the local traffic police to collect the 200bht fine if a new note was introduced.

With a 200bht note, the traffic police would be able to collect twice the amount of fines in one day. Or work only half a day for the same money, :D

dvk1951 is an expert at going to tailor shops...he has all his pants and shorts custom made WITHOUT POCKETS so he doesn't have to bring money with him when we go on our nightly inspections for seedy activities. :D:D:D