British couple vows to return to Hua Hin despite brutal attack

webfact

I am glad that the British couple got some recognition that they were the victims.

I spoke with a friend that lives in Hua Hin and was there that night. His Thai wife

had told him to be careful and they left early as she heard a few of the young

Thai guys, talk about having more booze then going out and beating up a few

Farangs. These four guys were likely part of that bunch. Have a few drinks then

go out and pound on some people they think are rich tourists, which they were

jealous of. A slap on the wrist is not what these guys should have gotten, but

then it is Thailand after all. What is shameful is all of the other people in that video, but no

one trying to keep this incident from becoming a beating on two old tourists and

their likely too drunk 43 year old son. Just glad that no one

was killed in this event.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Yea,After the slap on the wrist the cowards will be back out there in Hua Hin.When they here that your family are back in town they will be waiting to avenge the loss of face.and your axx is grass.

of course they will return now, after PM involvement, all expenses paid and police protection.

happy they have made a full recovery and hopefully return to enjoy the true Thailand

Correct....and it would have been been nothing but bad manners and the height of disrespect to say otherwise in the company they were in.

Glad it's all getting sorted out...no "face" concerns on the part of the Thai authorities in this instance....Well done all.

I am not sure about this, but my Thai relatives say that they are okay with me

wai ing them when they do me favors, and when we greet each other, as it is

a sign of thanks and respect for some one especially if they are representing

the Thai PM, such as is the case with these British couple. It would be appreciated if all of you armchair experts

enlighten me if I am right or wrong on this matter. I have only been going to Thailand for

nearly 20 years, so what do I know. I guess, only that I am a

Geezer with a Thai wife.

Didn't I read that they vowed NEVER to return?

Yes, we all read that, but I think that the bouquets of flowers recently received contained a brown envelope with return business class tickets on Thai, a 5 star hotel, and some spending money, if they vow to return.... Amazing Thailand!

I understood that the Brit couple were to give evidence at court (pre-trial) prior to the (later) trial at which the accused would be subject to a court decision on their culpability.

I would reason (as it has happened in the past) that the Brits evidence is somehow loosely translated so as to give the court leeway (as well as accused apologies to the victims, a plea of guilty on a lesser charge, and the (probable) transfer of money to appease the pain), and I wouldn't be surprised to hear the accused walk with minimum sentences, e.g. community service, for the affray.

Call me cynical, but that's how Thai 'justice' works, IMO.

Coming on holiday to Thailand and having to go through there ordeal and all the unwanted exposure in the worlds press must of been a very harrowing experience for them and there familys.

Thankfully all government agencies have got involved and the Thai government should be applauded for that.

"Thankfully all government agencies have got involved and the Thai government should be applauded for that" but the fact of the matter is that this incident was "buried" for a week or so and only came to light when someone released the CCTV footage onto the internet,world condemnation followed resulting in huge negative publicity to Thailand and its people.............that was the ONLY reason there was a response from Thai government agencies whistling.gif

Sorry Red

I am not sure about this, but my Thai relatives say that they are okay with me

wai ing them when they do me favors, and when we greet each other, as it is

a sign of thanks and respect for some one especially if they are representing

the Thai PM, such as is the case with these British couple. It would be appreciated if all of you armchair experts

enlighten me if I am right or wrong on this matter. I have only been going to Thailand for

nearly 20 years, so what do I know. I guess, only that I am a

Geezer with a Thai wife.

It's my understanding that the Thai family expectation from a (related) foreigner receiving a favour (or when greeting and saying goodbye) is also to wai, but clasping hands at (perhaps) stomach/chest level, not at head height. A head-height wai (and especially if the Thai person receiving an honour is also kneeling) is reserved for respect and reverance.

You might know this, but maybe others wouldn't. As far as the Brit man is concerned, a (lower held) acknowledgement wai would have been sufficient, IMO, despite the gift being from a representative of the PM. But that's a personal choice, of course. Depends what's in the box - a few gold bars or a bunch of bananas.

Edited by stephenterry

So lets see, you think that foreigners should not adopt the cultures of the lands they are visiting?

If this were a Thai in the UK, would you think it appropriate for them not to shake hands with the government members?

My God, no wonder some Thais dislike certain foreigners.

People shake hands all around the world out of respect.....It is a universal language......like englishbiggrin.png

The wai is unique to thailand.........it should stay that way....

How long do you plan to live here? I assume you are just a tourist but could be wrong.
Nasrullah is a prime example of someone who thinks they are better than the Thais.

Saying that we should not wai when living in Thailand is totally insane. I'd just ignore him. More than likely he had no Thai friends apart from maybe one a who likes to keep him separated.

Can you speak Thai dude? Maybe that is something one shouldn't do here lol.

So much for leaking vids

If the video had not leaked, they would be alone in hospital in Hua Hin, the trial would have happened in 3 years and they would have returned to UK to never come back.

Did I read correct,it said they was supposed to give evidence in court this afternoon but they have to return to britain tomorrow???Strange way of saying now they have the bribe they can go home,if so I hope the op s are as clever as the people they are dealing with and we can read all about it in the national papers from the uk.Good luck to them and a speedy recovery,hopefully with no side effects,they are old when alls said and done,and regardless the old lady should never have been assaulted like that,by anyone in any country.

Hope they read this TV forum thread and understand that Thai culture will target them if they return to Hua Hin, and that friends and relatives of the boys may exercise revenge for causing Hua Hin youth to lose face and be punished.

Nasrullah is a prime example of someone who thinks they are better than the Thais.

Saying that we should not wai when living in Thailand is totally insane. I'd just ignore him. More than likely he had no Thai friends apart from maybe one a who likes to keep him separated.

Can you speak Thai dude? Maybe that is something one shouldn't do here lol.

Don't worry mate, I've seen his type before. I would bet my bottom dollar all he say in Thai is "tee rak", "boom boom" and "poom pui"

They vowed never to return. But as you know Thais love to speak for others.

But as you know Thais love to speak for others....But they are beaten by ThaiVisa members believe me tongue.png

Coming on holiday to Thailand and having to go through there ordeal and all the unwanted exposure in the worlds press must of been a very harrowing experience for them and there familys.

Thankfully all government agencies have got involved and the Thai government should be applauded for that.

"Thankfully all government agencies have got involved and the Thai government should be applauded for that" but the fact of the matter is that this incident was "buried" for a week or so and only came to light when someone released the CCTV footage onto the internet,world condemnation followed resulting in huge negative publicity to Thailand and its people.............that was the ONLY reason there was a response from Thai government agencies whistling.gif

Sorry Red

Yea, just like another government would do... wai2.gif

But as you know Thais love to speak for others....But they are beaten by ThaiVisa members believe me tongue.png

ThaiVisa members, speak for all the world, especial when its hatred for Thailand ! coffee1.gif

'the land of smiles' is TAT propaganda-there is a high murder and violent crime rate not just at farang but between some Thai's!

I am a long term ex-pat and I have been robbed and punched too.However I still love Thailand for all it's faults.biggrin.png

ThaiVisa members, speak for all the world, especial when its hatred for Thailand ! coffee1.gif

or for their love of the Junta :D;)

They said in the BP they'd never return, I believe them.

funny the article doesnt mention this...so which individual who doesnt want to see tourism hurt in thailand came up with the headline.

seriously folks and those with even meager common sense.... aint gunna see em agin here....end of report

It sounds like it was mentioned.

The minister expressed regret for the incident. The couple said they love Hua Hin and vowed to return.

Maybe they, unlike so many on TV, realize this was the act of some idiots who happened to be Thai and not a reflection on everyone and everything in Thailand.

Years ago when living in Africa I was involved in a home invasion that included getting tied up, beaten and a gun held to my head with assurances I would die ... as well as a lot of possessions and money stolen. I stayed on in the same place for quite a few more years and never felt any antipathy toward the country or the whole population. A few individual criminals were to blame, not the whole country.

Running away in fear is seldom a practical or sensible way to deal with what amounts to random act that could, unfortunately, have easily happened anywhere.

of course they will return now, after PM involvement, all expenses paid and police protection.

happy they have made a full recovery and hopefully return to enjoy the true Thailand

So your suggesting Hua Hin is not true Thailand then ?....so where is true Thailand then and please dont suggest Isaan LOL

What else would they say to the pm ? No they are never coming back to sh@thole Thailand....they may end up being "re-educated"....one suspects all they want to do is get on a plane out of dodge

Er. Isaan.

And anywhere where mass tourism has not materialised. ie, out in the sticks in the majority of countryside provinces.

Sorry Red

It would of come to light anyway as the media got hold of it even without the video i think as for the government they have done what they had to do and any other countries governments would of done the same,maybe your correct in saying it was just because of the bad publicity it created but i wouldnt go as far as saying it was the only reason.

Apology accepted! tongue.png

The Minister could not give a toss about the couple lol.. He simply wants to save the media attack and the regime.... May i ask have you paid the family BAHT for crime compensation ? I already know the answer is NO

How the hell do you know what the minister thinks?

The court please l am trying not to laugh... A Thai court Thai vs Falang. If he killed your husband he may walk free with 10000 fine suspended sentence.....lf was a falang your finished. They are corrupt, racist and unjust.

Maybe they, unlike so many on TV, realize this was the act of some idiots who happened to be Thai and not a reflection on everyone and everything in Thailand.

A few Thai individuals did it, a few hundred Thai individuals stood by and let it happen, then countless Thai reporters and officials kept it quiet for a few weeks. Now countless more Thai officials try to punish the person who finally leaked the video.

A national Thai disgrace!

The Minister could not give a toss about the couple lol.. He simply wants to save the media attack and the regime.... May i ask have you paid the family BAHT for crime compensation ? I already know the answer is NO

How the hell do you know what the minister thinks?

Well, the General said it was her fault for wearing a bikini, when a female tourist was murdered.

Can't see a Minister thinking much different for a female tourist given a kicking.

Edited by BritManToo

So your suggesting Hua Hin is not true Thailand then ?....so where is true Thailand then and please dont suggest Isaan LOL

What else would they say to the pm ? No they are never coming back to sh@thole Thailand....they may end up being "re-educated"....one suspects all they want to do is get on a plane out of dodge

You have to see all of it.

Going to Blackpool once doesn't mean you have experienced England.

And the headline is typical spokesperson speak, reports what they wanted to hear and probably not what was actually said.