just had a warning

meatboy

seems like i had a mini stroke,knocked over a cup of coffee without knowing.my speech was slurred and lasted about in total 1hr.

off to theperat gov.hospital in korat and received the best of treatment.

brain scan,ecg,fbt,and 24hr.monitoring for 3days.

looks like it was a just a blip [hope]

spent 3days in a private ward,tv.fridge.air con, everything i needed,tests ect,ect,ect. i do need to go back every month so they can keep an eye on me.

was i ripped off certainly NOT.TOTAL 8,800BHT. that includes everything,doctors,nurses,10tests a day.food[from the hotel] this hospital has been up about 8-10yrs.

it was a shock for me this happening but at least i know what to expect next time.

hope sheryl can pas on any help for me.

thank you.

It could be nothing....not sure of med history...but...if you are in shape, your BP is under control and you do not smoke or drink in excess....likely not serious. But if you think there is likely a reason for worry...then time to change some habits.

I had a similar event 25 years ago, same symptoms....and then a general feeling out of it for about a month. After MRI scan. tests, etc....conclusion was likely sinus infection and pressure.

Best of luck to you.

Hi Meatboy - can you post some details etc of the hospital - can't find it on google maps. Thanks

hi DT.the details are as follows.

when i registered for the ins,scheme back some 2yrs.ago,besides the foreigners registration,i had a med.card.then the scheme was abandoned,but i kept the card and have been to theparat hospital twice since,it is known as maharat 2,it is on the off the main korat to bkk.rd.about 5kilo's past save one night market and not far from kuk-krut garden center.its easy to find.

from the time you go into the entrance you will be shown to admin.fill in some forms and you should be ok.as long as they are still admitting farangs.

good luck and take the BP meds (maybe aspirin too?)

thanks LG but i have to take warfarin for life so that helps.

i have read elswhere that COFFEE can cause mini stroke's.and i had just started a cup of black. normally i only drink one mug a day[1am-4am] but lately its been 2

with the footi on. blood preasure is fine,i have never smoked but i do like the odd cider or 2 with a pork pie.and i did have a new heart valve and a double by-pass.

2007. so i am getting past my use by date so have to start looking after myself.

My first post, hi everyone...i hope you are ok, Meatboy...do you have any after effects now? My brother had the same, he is ok, but says some random words that have no sense. Do you know tonray?

If he is saying random words that make no sense (and assuming he is not Donald Trump) he may have sustained some damage from the event...he should get checked out ASAP...

How old is he ?

My first post, hi everyone...i hope you are ok, Meatboy...do you have any after effects now? My brother had the same, he is ok, but says some random words that have no sense. Do you know tonray?

everything seems fine but it did scare me,trying to tell the wife and finding out that what i was saing made no sense.

i do have to go back every month.

the medical symptom is called TRANSIENT CEREBRAL ISCHAEMIC ATTACK, UNSPECIFIED.

You have had a TIA (transient ischemic attack), these are actually small strokes that leave no permanent damage but are a warning that you may be at risk for a full fledged stroke.

Management is focused on reducing the risk of a stroke. As you are already on warfarin, important to monitor the INR to make sure there is adequate anticoagulation as TIAs are usually due to blood clots.

In addition, important to keep LDL cholesterol and triglycerides down.

While you were in the hospital did they do an ultrasound of your carotid arteries? (to check for any narrowing or partial blockage). If not, should.

This is a good overview of TIAs http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transient-ischemic-attack/basics/definition/con-20021291

Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima hospital is a regional center, a tertiary government hospital that receives referrals from multiple provinces. It is well equipped with specialized care and provides good quality. It is the main government hospital in Korat town proper.

Hello "meatboy"

Hope you are getting things back together.

Had my first TIA ( TRANSIENT ISCHEMIC ATTACK ) back in 2012 - since that time I have had far far more than the generally accepted 3 and your out.

What caused the first one - perhaps retiring from my 24 / 7 working lifestyle - no idea.

Luckily my heart is strong and the TIA's affect the right side of my brain.

I have accepted that what I am having are TIA's and this acceptance goes a long way to relieving stress.

Unfortunately I am allergic to many medications and am limited to one Aspent per day and nothing else.

I eat well, low fat, low sugar, high fibre, no animal products ( for many many years ), I drink coffee ( 2 per day ) black no sugar ( except for the odd treat to an oleang coffee ). I walk at least 6km a day - to the shops and back. I have lived worked in hot countries, a lot of it outside, most of my life, and I don't like temps below 30C. After my first TIA I was advised to keep my body cool and, to that extent, I keep my body clean shaven, a recommendation of a doctor.

From experience the best and only advice I can offer is be aware of the symptoms that occurred before you had your attack. Write down how you felt before, example feeling hot, disorientated etc. I hope that you don't have another attack but if you do, write down as much as you can remember.

Ensure you have a planned response by you and your family - where are your meds, phone numbers to call etc.

I have learnt to handle my attacks myself whether they happen whilst I am awake or if I am woken by an attack - living alone I don't have a choice.

Being allergic to so many meds I always carry full details + info relating to my hospital number and details of previous attacks with me when I go out. There is also a copy on prominent display in my house and in my hospital medical records.

Being prepared can help all concerned.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to mention on this webforum how I use alternative methods instead of medication / or as a replacement for the medications I am allergic to.

In practical terms being aware of yourself and how you feel is probably the best thing I can recommend.

Take care.

thanks all,i think it was a bit of a wake up call,but i was very positive to wake up the wife and let her know what had happened.

hi sheryl i didnt have the ulta-sound test,i do know what that is because before my surgery i had that done many times,listing to the swishing noise.?

they did have me taking deep breaths about 10times a day,they said it was testing my oxygen levels[good]

my BP was good,INR perfect,sugar good but i have to start up on statins again.i hadnt taken any for over 18months as my last 2tests were good.

When you next go in (I assume you have a follow up appointment?) ask specifically about a carotid ultrasound. This is to make sure there is no blockage or narrowing of the carotid arteries (like you had in the arteries of your heart-- the carotids are arteries in your neck leading to the brain). Alternatively you could go to a private hospital, see a neurologist and request it, they should be able to do it on the spot.

How old are you?

If I had free health care in my home country, I would be buying a ticket back there right now.

Thailand is no place for sick foreigners.

PS, hope you fully recover and have no more 'incidents'.

Edited by BritManToo

When you next go in (I assume you have a follow up appointment?) ask specifically about a carotid ultrasound. This is to make sure there is no blockage or narrowing of the carotid arteries (like you had in the arteries of your heart-- the carotids are arteries in your neck leading to the brain). Alternatively you could go to a private hospital, see a neurologist and request it, they should be able to do it on the spot.

thanks sheryl i have to have a full bt.and a complete check up again [2nd june] so i will ask about having a carotid ultasound done.

How old are you?

If I had free health care in my home country, I would be buying a ticket back there right now.

i wont see 71+ again.

not interested in going back to the uk.a 36hr.trip back there would help to put the nails and screws in the box.

How old are you?

i wont see 71+ again.

not interested in going back to the uk.a 36hr.trip back there would help to put the nails and screws in the box.

good luck anyway... of course after we all hit 50+ it's just a countdown we all have to face and, the most frightening, thing is not that death beckons us it's the incapacitation and helplessness that we may endure on the road to passing

stay safe and get the best medical support your finances can afford

You have had a TIA (transient ischemic attack), these are actually small strokes that leave no permanent damage but are a warning that you may be at risk for a full fledged stroke.

Management is focused on reducing the risk of a stroke. As you are already on warfarin, important to monitor the INR to make sure there is adequate anticoagulation as TIAs are usually due to blood clots.

In addition, important to keep LDL cholesterol and triglycerides down.

While you were in the hospital did they do an ultrasound of your carotid arteries? (to check for any narrowing or partial blockage). If not, should.

This is a good overview of TIAs http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transient-ischemic-attack/basics/definition/con-20021291

Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima hospital is a regional center, a tertiary government hospital that receives referrals from multiple provinces. It is well equipped with specialized care and provides good quality. It is the main government hospital in Korat town proper.

I bow to your knowledge of things medical, some very important points in your comments above but, as someone who has had multiple TIA's of various intensity and duration, including waking with full paralysis on left side during attack ), have to disagree with your first sentence where you say "small strokes that leave no permanent damage". They can often create absolute havoc with your sleeping patterns, short term loss of memory, co-ordination in various areas, your gait, eyesight. Some of these symptoms do not fully improve over time.

The important things are to admit that you are at risk of more attacks and / or a full stroke.

To discuss with family / close friends.

To be aware and make those around you aware of what signs there could be prior to ( that can be a few days, hours, minutes ) or during a TIA.

From experience if people freak out, continually fuss and chatter as they realize a TIA is on its way or in progress, that only ups your own stress levels making it harder for you to concentrate on yourself.

To know what action to take, other than dial emergency services ( if that is what you do ).

To know where your medications are and what if anything has to done.

I carry full details of my medications / drug allergies ( multiple ) / past TIA events / hospital numbers with me at all times, as well as posting in my house and on file at the local and main hospital.

Improve your lifestyle particularly diet, stress reduction, exercise etc.

Finally I wish "meatboy" all the very best.

Hello Meatboy.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Sounds like you are in good hands though.

Thanks for the information on the hospital.

Take it steady and don't let the geets at immigration get to you.

I'll have a cider for you.

If he is saying random words that make no sense (and assuming he is not Donald Trump) he may have sustained some damage from the event...he should get checked out ASAP...

How old is he ?

He is 63, and he has been in hospital, he is on medication now, he seems fine most of the time, but then says really non-sensicle things...he seems to know he has said it wrong after.

How old is he ?

He is 63, and he has been in hospital, he is on medication now, he seems fine most of the time, but then says really non-sensicle things...he seems to know he has said it wrong after.

That's called Aphasia (my mom had it during her later years, senile dementia). It usually means some type of brain damage.

How old is he ?

That's called Aphasia (my mom had it during her later years, senile dementia). It usually means some type of brain damage.
It was from the stroke, he had bleeding on the brain for several weeks after on top of his head. It has stopped now. He has no impairment on his body, but he did talk with a bit of a 'lisp', but that has gone, and is ok.