Cop cameras on helmets coming to Bangkok

webfact

Cop cameras on helmets coming to Bangkok

bkk.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Top brass police turned out in force in front of Central World in downtown Bangkok to announce 'The Guardian Eyes' programme.

Under the scheme cameras will be fitted on motorcycle helmets in Bangkok in a move that police hope will help them in their work and provide a better service to the public, reports Thairath.

The program was already rolled out in a trial in Satahip earlier in the year.

Volatile situations will be able to be monitored in real time back at police stations using an application and the recording devices mean that video will be able to be taken and used in evidence.

Chakrathip Chaijinda of Region 6 command said that the cameras will "help to make the streets of the capital safe."

The programme will be expanded to other regions soon.

Acting police chief Sanit Mahathaworn in announcing the Region 6 initiative said that the cameras would help to boost public confidence and satisfaction in the police while helping to reduce crime by helping officers in their duties.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-03

Wonder who gets the contract? Be lucky if 5% of them are working

Yup - It will be some cheap Chinese crap - "costing" 35 Billion Baht over 5 years - after which none of them work... and everybody, Incl. any police who do not like people to know what they are (or are not) doing, will be happy again!

Bigbadgeorgie; am still giggling about the CandyCrush hell! :)

Cheers!

I'm sure that those cameras angle of view will stop at waist high, so not to show what the hands

are doing.....

Hahahaha "Youve been framed " coming to Thailand soon. TV show for those that dont know

Its a nice idea, but a little flawed when we get into the 'nuts and bolts' of it...

On the surface it appears that these will record on what appears to be 'Go-Pro' like devices or 'Dash-Cam' style devices.

How will they be powered ? Go-Pro only lasts 2 hrs.

Dash Cam's have to record on a Loop - the SD cards have to be maintained (formatted periodically).

So, who is in charge of charging and maintaining the units?

I agree with the poster who suggested we get used to the following excuses....

"Not turned on"

"No Power"

"Did not record"

"Faulty"

"Footage Accidentally deleted" (when it comprises the BiB)

Guess the internet will grind to a halt in Bangkok once this lot fires up their live streaming, I didn't notice anything that mentioned if the cameras had audio? Be nice to be able to hear their bullshit as well as see the action.

Another top end disaster only here is it possible. The sensible roadmap is cameras at major intersections including red lights. These cameras are fitted to untrained uncomplanced own show running roadsters looking to cash in on motorists. The camera can be simply switched off malfunction

On the face of it a good idea...unfortunately seeing is not believing.

Just the same as eye witnesses and photography one has either to learn how to look at this stuff or take it with a pinch of salt.

We've seen how on this forum people come to ridiculous conclusions which they think are obvious because they've seen a video.

With any kind of image the construction is always artificial and often it's what you can't see that is the most important.

Video is regarded in the same way as DNA - infallible - the truth is that neither are and care has to be taken - I'm sure the police will become masters at manipulating, editing or losing video where appropriate.

Was there not ann incident a member of the public was fined for having a go-proo on his helmet (funny just like years past fined for lights on during daylight on motorbikes)

My dash cam is swung round to face my window if I am at check point or stopped by police. Also my phone is recording all conversations if speaking to any Uniform..

Where can I get a working camera to wear so the police won't bother me whilst walking. I found I got stopped less by the police and army when I installed a dash cam in my car which records audio as well.

Edited by Bantex

Such a failure. Police can have but people can not. I guess the battery life is around 2-3h on cheap Chinese cameras.

Is it a locked camera or can the policeman himself open it. With the bad battery time i guess the policeman has to activate it. I can see media excuses as.

No movie because battery finished. Or memory full.

The privacy window gets smaller monthly!

What's next, everyone wearing a camera?

Like there aren't enough cameras pointing at us already.

It's all pretty disgusting in my opinion.

If I was a Police Officer and instructed to wear a camera I would resign.

It seems that many posters for some reason do not entirely trust the Royal Thai Police farce to make this initiative work efficiently or fairly.

At least the traffic CCTVs have all been fixed and are working properly now.... oh wait....

There is joke everyday in Thailand!

Some days there are two jokes!

The second joke is the cameras on RR-7 AH-19 AH-123 these cameras have been installed for months now between Chonburi and Bangkok.

The other day going to Bangkok and again coming back I used the car's Cruise control set at 120kph. well many cars Mercs, BMW, Chevrolets, Fords SUVs and Pickups made it look like I at 120kph was standing still or going backwards.

These speed maniacs all should have been impounded at the Lat Krabang Tollbooth or at the Chonburi Tollbooth. Nothing of it in evidence at either tollbooths.

A few months ago the cameras were working but there were so many complains from the Hi-So that the cameras must have been turned off.

Oh well they have served their function - purchasing brown envelopes.

I'm sure that those cameras angle of view will stop at waist high, so not to show what the hands

are doing.....

..you mean fumbling to do up their own chin straps after getting stared at by farang in hypocritical disbelief.

The privacy window gets smaller monthly!

What's next, everyone wearing a camera?

Like there aren't enough cameras pointing at us already.

It's all pretty disgusting in my opinion.

If I was a Police Officer and instructed to wear a camera I would resign.

....you definitely would need re-training if you were to wear a camera.

Helmets will be worn selectively, also get used to: "they weren't turned on", "they were faulty" "we accidently deleted the footage" and many other soon to be classic excuses.

LOL. Yeah. I can just see someone trying to obtain one of these videos and make it public after a police incident. Mission impossible. SOMEbody makes a bundle off of the scam scheme though...