Non B - Vientaine or Savannakhet?

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for a non b visa based on employment in Laos. I will be visiting Luang Prabang later this month and thought to use this opportunity get my visa - where should I go - Vientiane or Savannakhet? Vientiane is closer, is it a good place for a Single Entry Non B Visa application with the aim of getting a one year extension of stay later on?

Maybe its worth mentioning that I'm applying for a visa based on papers from a new company that had recently applied for my WP. I had a lawyer collect all the required documents and applied for a Non B in Kolkata but received the visa with a VOID stamp on it (posted about it before but for some reason the post was deleted). I don't know what was wrong with my previous application and haven't heard any explanation from the consulate in Kolkata (yet?). That's why I'm looking to go to a place which creates the least possible hassle with visas.

Edited by manonthemon

Vientanine is more interesting than Savanaket. The consulate in Vientiane is full of visa run company clients and queues can be long. In Savanaket it's locals getting their Thai visa and they seem not to understand the concept of a queue. So get there early at both places.

Also the number they give you in savanakhet to collect your passport is not a queue number so get there early the next day to collect your passport.

I did have one, took it to Kolkata along with other required documents but got the Voided visa and in the meantime the letter expired (it's only valid for a month) so now my lawyer has to apply for a new one at the labour office all over again.

By the way, as forum ppl predicted - no problem getting the 30 days on arrival stamp with the Void visa in my passport.

I was at Savannakhet yesterday and today to get a single entry tourist visa, and surprisingly there was a fair queue, not as bad as Vientiane, but this may have to do with the fact there was a Thai government holiday yesterday. Try to get your visa mid week and it shouldn't be so bad, and The Thai consulate in Savannakhet has a good reputation for handing out visas. Savannakhet though I found a little dull, but has its charm Vientiane easily has better eating options, and air, train and bus connections of course.