Buddhist Funeral

NigelKennedy

I do not have any experience in that area, or even others, but a lot of money is normal to be spent for funerals - and often this continues yearly in memorial services. But the actual funeral period is often mostly funded by donations (although common to have one person responsible).

Can not give an example number currently.

Have to wait for my wife to come back and ask her what my funeral will cost biggrin.png

I assume you ask about a funeral for a member of the wife's family?

"Average Isan" can not mean simple because your wife is married to a "rich farang".

Big loss of face.

And even then 150000 does not sound excessive.

And as @lopburi3 wrote it will partly be funded by donations from the villagers (community).

Would you write what person has died, age, social/job and family status (family eldest)?

These factors influence cost strongly.

Edited by KhunBENQ

A donation to the temple for the Monks, buying the food that the local women will prepare, for those attending. I am sure the costs could be minimal. I have attended 4 funerals in Isaan. Sometimes only family will come, sometimes the entire village will come. 150,000 Baht sounds excessive to me.

Last funeral in our village was of a woman, mid 20's leaving behind her husband and two young children. The entire village donated towards the funeral costs and what was left over was given to the family to care towards the children.

150k plus seems crazy high to me. I've only attended one, here in Pattaya. Wasn't nearly that much, perhaps 60,000 baht, 4 years ago. About 40 people attended.

Edited by ehs818

Im almost positive that no matter what it costs the Monks can point you to the direction of the money lenders they work with......

I had a Gf ions ago whose mom lost her brother, so her uncle.....He was a good man so they spent and borrowed and sent him off for about 100k.....they very next month her other uncle died. He was a scum bucket however the family could not lose face so they sent him off well also. However they had to borrow the whole amount and the head monk was happy to help out with the loan.......six months later they lost there house.

150,000 - 200,000 is a fair cost.

The money usually comes from the family as the individuals can afford, but with you about...

The poorest have the hat passed around the village and then 40 - 50K seems to get the 2nd class chanting (solo job), tinny sounding bells and the foods served are the offerings that the temple dogs rejected.

It does need to be a flash do.

Enjoy it. You'll be chanting like monk in your sleep by the 3rd day.

Earplugs.

150.000 is not excessive.

A Thai friend recently organised a funeral for her sister.

Costs were almost 400.000.

I agree, grand mother in law died at Christmas and the expense were in excess of 400,000 shared by my wife her aunt, the village insurance fund and attendees. Gand mum was very well known and more than 200 people attended at times.

150k plus seems crazy high to me. I've only attended one, here in Pattaya. Wasn't nearly that much, perhaps 60,000 baht, 4 years ago. About 40 people attended.

I've never seen a funeral with only 40 people in the outback of Thailand except at the odd quiet moment between sittings.

Must be smaller deals in the city or less family links.

I'd imagine the traditions would be strongest in the villages etc.

I was involved directly with my FILs funeral a few years back, went on for 9 or 10 days (cant remember whether the cremation was day 9 or 10)

But i did do the "cost accounting" for the donations which came in over the period and of the 160k which came in envelopes, there was nothing left when all the costs had been paid, ie food, cremation, rental of "chiller" coffin, flowers, monks, tables, chair rentals etc, not that it makes any difference but this was down south, not Isaan

I was involved directly with my FILs funeral a few years back, went on for 9 or 10 days (cant remember whether the cremation was day 9 or 10)

But i did do the "cost accounting" for the donations which came in over the period and of the 160k which came in envelopes, there was nothing left when all the costs had been paid, ie food, cremation, rental of "chiller" coffin, flowers, monks, tables, chair rentals etc, not that it makes any difference but this was down south, not Isaan

I believe 5 days is usually the funeral period. Sometimes 3. They sent FIL off for good and proper. After that period he sure won't be back to the ghost-house for a while. 9-10 days!

I haven't seen the "chiller" coffin.

These 2 things may well be related.

I believe 5 days is usually the funeral period. Sometimes 3. They sent FIL off for good and proper. After that period he sure won't be back to the ghost-house for a while. 9-10 days!

I haven't seen the "chiller" coffin.

These 2 things may well be related.

The chiller coffin is the thing they put the corpse in for the wake period...cos if you didnt, your FIL would be getting rather smelly even after 5 days !!! Edited by Koosdedooes

Maybe a business opportunity to set up a cheat cut price service without the trimmings for Farangs with small money left .I have asked my wife to cut out all the <deleted> and just cremate me . ;-)

The chiller coffin is the thing they put the corpse in for the wake period...cos if you didnt, your FIL would be getting rather smelly even after 5 days !!!

Ahhh... I did notice the corpse was pretty solidly tied down and the knots regularly checked as the ceremonial days ticked on.

Gasses can build up in dead bodies from the decomposing which can cause the body to sit up if not tied down or as the gas escapes from the mouth it can sound like the corpse is coughing.

Thats very interesting because a coffin taken from Sweden to Serbia by airplane, and the funeral etc incl all costs. Is about the same as a funeral in Thailand. That doesnt make sense so YES i thinkit over the top. But you didnt think you would have the same price as a Thai did you?

I'd prefer cremation and my ashes spread at sea for another journey!

The thought of friends weaping over me at an expensive funeral and then being in an expensive casket lowered into the ground is frightening. How scary would it be if you woke up and found yourself alive trapped underground?

I wonder just how many are actually embalmed here in Thailand?

I personally avoid funerals and would never have one for myself. Too damn depressing and a waste of money in my opinion.

I find that very hard to believe did you see the bills ,400,000 is $16,000 dollars if it was a person of hight places yes , but from a thai village no way .

Thais talk things up , unless you see the bills you can't get on here and say it cost 400,000 .

You see if a western is paying it go's up by 500% .

My GF arranged her fathers funeral 18 months ago and the final cost was around 100,000.

Then 90 days after his death she had to do a 90 day tamboon which cost an extra 20,000.

She had to pay for funeral and tamboon at the time but managed to get about 50% back from an insurance/village cooperative group. That only paid out 1 year after the funeral.

This 50% back paid back the other family members that had contributed first and the extra back to my GF.

Our cost -donations for sister in law over $5,000.00 US... She lived with us and had been a second mother figure to my wife...