Buddhist Funeral

NigelKennedy

Depending of the ceremony/ceremonies and family status, 100,000 baht and up is not uncommon – talk from experience – presume it can be more in some families/places.

So I think your (OP) wife is fairly correct with her estimate.

Many people attending the ceremonies – which can be more than one day, typically three – will put money in an envelope to help those left behind; sometime that can be quite a bit. Your wife shall know and can explain you more about the local procedure.

Edited by khunPer

My landlords wife died recently, less than 10 people attended the dinner and the ceremony. A quiet and inexpensive affair.

He is a foreigner, she was a Thai, they were married for 28 years. This was in Kalasin City.

If a family is waiting for a relative or family member the body may be kept on ice for a week or more until the relative arrives.

I experienced this in Roi-Et years ago at the house next door, there were few visitors, but the Monks came and prayed daily and there were constant ice deliveries.

I have experienced dozens of funerals over the years and costs have been from zero baht to 1 million baht, and varying costs in between.

The most common are in the range of 150 to 200k baht. Many of these funerals are financed by insurance from the BAAC. Funeral insurance is not expensive and many families target 200k.

I have my own funeral insurance with the BAAC, the yearly fee being only 750 baht for 200,000 baht coverage.

My MIL passed away quite suddenly in 2013 where she lived in Isaan...... My UK based wife (MIL's daughter) who was 8 months pregnant at the time could not travel back plus her passport was with UK Immigration awaiting Visa application approval to remain, family asked us for money for funeral... was around 100k thb, plus the donations from the villagers and her own family members (no idea how much but based of what I've witnessed since I doubt it was much)....which was tainted by the queues of people (mostly women) at the feeding of the mourners afterwards asking my SIL for money that my MIL supposedly owed them (though none had the papers to prove it).... this I can only put down to them trying it on and hoping that rich (sic) farang would pay without question.....However asking my SIL was about as good as asking me they only hope they had of getting the money was Bob and No.

I have experienced dozens of funerals over the years and costs have been from zero baht to 1 million baht, and varying costs in between.

The most common are in the range of 150 to 200k baht. Many of these funerals are financed by insurance from the BAAC. Funeral insurance is not expensive and many families target 200k.

I have my own funeral insurance with the BAAC, the yearly fee being only 750 baht for 200,000 baht coverage.

Good idea .

But you have to accept in Thailand the cheap charlie,balloon chaser coffin dodgers will not even pay for medical insurance while they are still limping and breathing, never mind pay insurance for their funerals, they will expect someone else to pick up the tab

When my father died a couple of years ago he wanted a simple and quick funeral as he was non religious. Temple fees B, 10,000, coffin B5,000 admin B5,000 plus the Wake. It was nice and as he wanted. I can't think where you get some of your figures from? This was in Hua hin and not the cheapest place in Thailand

It will cost as much as they can squeeze of the farlang if one is related by marriage.

So how much you get hit for then...given your definitive statement you must be speaking from experience ?

Edited by Koosdedooes

When my father died a couple of years ago he wanted a simple and quick funeral as he was non religious. Temple fees B, 10,000, coffin B5,000 admin B5,000 plus the Wake. It was nice and as he wanted. I can't think where you get some of your figures from? This was in Hua hin and not the cheapest place in Thailand

I got my figure from actually being involved and handling/ looking after the money which came in the envelopes, and know exactly what was being paid out

I think this thread shows you can pay from about B 30,000 up. Sorry Koosdedooes, was not doubting you in any way

No problem, i got voluteered by my Mrs for envelope duty and holding the cash and handing the cash out when various payments had to be made, my Mrs and her sisters where very busy with everything else,

although her immediate family are solid people, there are some who turned up from the extended family, who would have no problem "sticking their hands in the till" given the opportunity, and by all accounts, these individuals are frightened of me, so my Mrs figured leaving the cash with me was a good move in case anyone got "ideas" LOL

100k min. 200k average. Can be more easily, depending on popularity of deceased.

Exactly the number that my wife just told me.

100k for a "normal" event, adequate but nothing fancy.

Nothing "farang" related.

Two or threefold with bells and whistles.

Edited by KhunBENQ

150,000 baht is not excessive that is about 3000 USD any of us know if that funeral back in your own countries it would cost in excess of about $10000 to $15000 so 150,000 baht is stuff all that is the going price and that is cheap.

Tell them you are Christian and will do it the Christian way. Should cost a few thousand baht and no loss of face. In and out in 30 minutes so everyone can get down the pub and tell stories of what a horried little man you were and how they are glad to see the back of you.

Good idea .

My wife had a very hard time collecting when her mom died. She had 200,000 on her mom and after 6 months of fighting she only got 40,000. I would look for insurance outside of Thailand.

as you said it was simple. The major costs is buying all the food, beer and whiskey for 100+ people. Allot of people do bring envelopes with donations so that helps.

Well, how many could afford to die then, 150 thou, seems very excessive to me...

MY Mil died early this year , cost 100,000 , donations paid half , 3 day event , no alcohol supplied. Buriram province.

It will cost as much as they can squeeze of the farlang if one is related by marriage.

Not true - just one of Thai Visa's many urban legends.

I have attended half a dozen family funerals over the past 20 years and never had to pay for any extras, only nominal amounts in the envelope.

Once I loaned money to a nephew to help with the funeral of his father, and he paid me back as soon as the insurance paid out.

And two expat friends have had funerals for in-laws, and again no extra payments.

150,000 baht is not excessive that is about 3000 USD any of us know if that funeral back in your own countries it would cost in excess of about $10000 to $15000 so 150,000 baht is stuff all that is the going price and that is cheap.

Yet again, somebody comparing Thailand to 'back home'.

Many people come here because the cost of living is cheaper.

And some people living in Thailand don't understand the difference in customs/rituals.

A funeral in Thailand is not an "as cheap as possible" event wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

150.000 is not excessive.

A Thai friend recently organised a funeral for her sister.

Costs were almost 400.000.

I thought people in Isaan were generally rather poor. Anyone who can spend this kind of money on a funeral is not poor by any stretch.