Thai Police to strictly enforce 10 traffic laws

webfact

I counted 5 listed items in the article above. What are the remaining laws they intend to enforce. And by the way, when will it become illegal to drive a motorcycle on a crowded sidewalk? Love to see that one!

The Ten Thai Traffic Commandments

1. .Thou shalt not exceed the posted speed limit

2. . Thou shalt not operate against oncoming traffic or on pedestrian walkways.

3. . Thou shalt obey traffic signals at all times.

4. . Thou shalt not operate a vehicle without a license.

5. .Thou shalt not operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

6. .Thou shalt not operate a mobile phone while driving unless it is a hands free system.

7. . Thou shalt give way to pedestrians using a marked crossing.

8. .Thou shalt respect officers of the Royal Thai Police aka B.I.B.

9. .Thou shalt not park in areas displaying “ No parking” signs or red & white stripes..

10. .Thou shalt drive at a safe speed and not tailgate other road users.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so beyond absurd....... that police would think it worth press conference to announce they are going to enforce a few select laws..... imagine the reaction if police in Canada, for instance, made this announcement.... they really are living in an alternative reality here.... my mind is reeling..... which seems a normal reaction to news on TV, come to think of it

They have asked that the public contribute to the effort by reporting such violations to the 191 police hotline or to 1599, 24 hours a day.

Love it clap2.gif

Please can the public report violations so we can enforce traffic laws... cos you know, we are really busy right now.. cheesy.gif

Bring that shit on.

I got hit on my motorbike the other day coming out of a service station. The thai guy, who happened to be on the wrong side of the road going the wrong direction, at warp speed, just yelled at me that "I not stop"

Now i have a 360,000 baht shoulder surgery to look forward to and 6 months of recovery time.

Thanks champ, really hope you are not too upset about me not seeing you, while you were performing your surprise attack.

Edited by 05daytona

There a long way from enforcing correct lane usage, sure at times it would be easier to have the steering wheel on the left!

And a long, long way from enforcing any noise regulations!

Driving the wrong way.... does that apply to motorbikes?

I noticed '.. on the sidewalk..' not listed. So motorbikes can drive in the 'right' way on sidewalks?

Motorbikes are permitted to use footpaths.........how dopey is this?!!

Not as dopey as permitting them to drive the wrong way down a road. If they can at least start cracking down on that as this article claims, that would be a huge thing. Every SINGLE day without exception, I see this idiotic practice of small motorcycles and mopeds driving along the curb the wrong way down a road, even if it's only for a short distance. It is done everywhere in Thailand, there's no difference between Bangkok and the countryside, big cities or small towns. You'll see it on Sukhumvit road near Nana, out on highways leading out of the city, everywhere there's a 4-lane (or more) divided road.

All the hoo-har about helmets in Koh Samui, in May................................. Forgotten.

Status quo has been under-acheived, as usual.

MVAs are the alter-method of population control.

And, while the plebs are killing themselves, off. No-one gives a rats fundamental

IMHO, of course.

I counted 5 listed items in the article above. What are the remaining laws they intend to enforce. And by the way, when will it become illegal to drive a motorcycle on a crowded sidewalk? Love to see that one!

Multiply x 2... ;)

Enforce 10 laws, what is the point of having laws if you don't enfoce ALL of them ALL the time???

Thailand: The hub of enforcing some laws some times, if it's not too inconvenientcheesy.gif

The point of having laws in Lack of Sanctions is to accrue "donations" to those who "protect and serve."

All the hoo-har about helmets in Koh Samui, in May................................. Forgotten.

All the "hoo-har" about helmets has always amused me! a good quality plastic bucket would probably give the rider more protection in a crash than the rubbish that is worn to fulfill the law, never are any "standards" for helmets mentioned, or the fact that it would be really helpful if they were fastened correctly.

Keeps BIB in pocket money I guess!

As usual there is flaw in all this. Can you spot it?

The articles says they will clamp down on the use of phones, but they encourage people to use their phones to report law breakers. Could get tricky.

Saw a guy on a motorbike today, no helmet, wearing a t shirt that said in English "Safety comes first"... lol TIT summed up. Wish I had a camera handy, but then I'd be the one caught by the po-lease and hammered for it, not the local chappy.

why dont they have a number, chat, LINE where you can send the pictures, video, etc.

so if someone uses their phone to capture the moment - then they can just forward it on for prosecution

Because this is the bull crap the government here is great at spinning - every Thai government sionce they began - are all great at putting our LAWS and ENFORCEMENTS but who are they kidding? No one really cares nor believes otherwise all who get fined for no helmet would upset the hair do and wear one - right? NO WAY will they abide

Bring that shit on.

I got hit on my motorbike the other day coming out of a service station. The thai guy, who happened to be on the wrong side of the road going the wrong direction, at warp speed, just yelled at me that "I not stop"

Now i have a 360,000 baht shoulder surgery to look forward to and 6 months of recovery time.

Thanks champ, really hope you are not too upset about me not seeing you, while you were performing your surprise attack.

I am really sad to hear that about your shoulder and impending operation.

The Thai guy because of the JUNTA's attitude to westerners and their Governments - yes how he treats ambassadors here - the average Thai who despises or holds any ill feeling - thinks it is their RIGHT to attack, main and do what they want and you me and we are in the wrong.

So bloody sad it has come to this

I wish they would start at the root of the problem:

make sure that people who obtain a driver's licence actually know how to operate a vehicle.

Are you serious? Driving a motorised vehicle is a Thai birth right, didn't you know? We are talking about the masters here, those who can never fail!

Thailand's version of the right to bear arms.

some good and funny comments about this hehe but if the police actually do this , firstly all the time, not just for a week or for Songkran,

and secondly hand out fines that actually deter people from breaking road laws, then they may actually fall from being

" second country for most road deaths per population in the world "....

The way most Thais drive anyone would think they are trying to become NUMBER ONE.... got to admit they give it a damn good shot !!

Thai Police to uphold a law would be an astounding headline - to uphold ten at the same time is surely above and beyond the call of duty.

on cell phones and driving;

this made me snort my beer through my nose - hope it has the same effect on you

3968bffc39af47044d1240a5c1cb8a63.jpg

Motorcycle license age is 15. Hundreds of thousands of riders are aged as young as 8 to 15. Even many adults in country areas have no license. And why waste money on a helmet. They just borrow one when they need to go in the city....sometimes.

Edited by Goanna

Motorcycle license age is 15. Hundreds of thousands of riders are aged as young as 8 to 15. Even many adults in country areas have no license. And why waste money on a helmet. They just borrow one when they need to go in the city....sometimes.

The trouble is that over so much of Thailand they are so poor that 200B to spend on a helmet is a lot of money even if it could save their life,, but with their belief that they come back again and again, forever, then why worry if you get killed ????? might come back with a better life next time.

Thai Police to uphold a law would be an astounding headline - to uphold ten at the same time is surely above and beyond the call of duty.

haha yeah right on.... what is needed is something that disables a phone when the motor is started in a car.. surly apple could add that to phones ?

haha yeah right on.... what is needed is something that disables a phone when the motor is started in a car.. surly apple could add that to phones ?

Or maybe an app that switches off the engine once the phone is activated?

Or maybe an app that switches off the engine once the phone is activated?

that would work too, but maybe switching off the engine when the phone rings with a minibus driver going 130 kph and passing someone on a blind bend might not be a good thing !! :D