Illegal fishing boats to be used as artificial corals

webfact

Illegal fishing boats to be used as artificial corals

PNSOC590504001003901_04052016_071325.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 May 2016 (NNT)-The Cabinet has approved a 105 million baht budget to buy 54 fishing vessels that have breached the Fisheries Act and use them to create artificial coral reefs.

Director of the Command Center for Combating Illegal Fishing (CCCIF) Vice Admiral Jumpol Lumpikanon said three of the 54 vessels expected to be bought will be given to the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources.

The remaining boats will be used by the Fisheries Department as artificial corrals in an attempt to revive marine eco-systems in the sea off the coast of Samut Sakhon, Surat Thani and Pattani Provinces.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet Secretariat has announced that the Cabinet meeting on May 17th has been rescheduled to a day earlier as Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is expected to attend the ASEAN-Russian Summit from May 17th to 20th.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-05 footer_n.gif

This is all about face now ..

Thailand is the world’s third-largest exporter of seafood, shipping shrimp, tuna and other fish to supermarket chains and pet food companies in the U.S. and Europe. http://globaljournalist.org/2016/04/slave-labor-tars-thai-seafood-industry-program/

Stakeholders in Thailand’s Fishery industry are confident that the European Union will not issue a red card against the sector next month. The country has taken major steps, according to stakeholders, in an effort to curb human trafficking, unregulated fishing and unreported fishing in the country .. https://ethailand.com/business-news/fishery-stakeholders-confident-eu-will-not-issue-industry-red-card/2434/

Edited by Nicolas32

Why are they buying the boats? If they have breached the Fisheries Act by illegally fishing, then surely the vessels should be confiscated!

Only if that is in the law.. I cant imagine you being all that happy if you drive just a bit too fast in your car.. m/c and your car is being confiscated and sold off.

Sure this can be done but should be in the law before and people should be warned.

I am all for strict enforcement of the fisheries laws.. but you can't just invent punishment that was not in the books and apply it on an already committed crime.

Buying the boats from whom?

From themselfs of course.They will make an artificial price for the boats (that they already own through confiscation) Then draw said money from the treasury to,pay themselfs a bonus so all is well. Hello new Mercedes.

Buying the boats from whom?

From themselfs of course.They will make an artificial price for the boats (that they already own through confiscation) Then draw said money from the treasury to,pay themselfs a bonus so all is well. Hello new Mercedes.

You're right, I suppose

I'd love to know more about this story - were the illegal boats that breached the fisheries act confiscated? So, is the CCCIF is buying boats from itself? I can't work out why these boats are being paid for.

Hell with buying them. They should simply be confiscated and then scuttled for the reef seeding project. It will send a message to the other owners of fishing boats that it is in their self-interest to get with the program.