Attempted scam

colinneil

Yet another attempted scam.

Went to large local building/d.i.y. store.

Wife wanted a new washing machine, old 1 only 3 years old, but repair man could not fix.

Saw machine i wanted (wife at home) asked about it, ok yes we have 1.

Deliver to my home ok, draw a map, write your address, also gave my address in Thai.

Sitting next to me was a Thai woman interfeering, i told her to butt out.

She was speaking about the stupid farang, thinking i could not understand (wrong).

She took the paper work from the employee, i kicked off, told her go away.

In the afternoon machine was delivered, driver asks my wife why am i delivering it here?

name and address on the receipt was not ours, wife said yes it is for us, driver not sure,

so i showed him my receipt, he said not your address, what is going on?

I got on my scooter straight back to the store, suddenly girl who dealt with me earlier in English at service desk, and the woman sticking her nose in were trying somehow

mai kao jai get the manager, staff did everything but get the manager.

I got 3 different excuses for wrong address, you not show passport !!WHAT!!

you not show tabien bahn, you not a member.

You not give us your address !! bloody bull...t !!

Finally they asked for my card, cancelled payment, then did the transaction again.

I think the girl on the customer service desk and the woman sticking her nose in were trying to get a free washing machine.

So people BEWARE when buying something, always check that it is your address.

I'm kind of curious how the driver ended up at the OP's house if that wasn't the address on the delivery ticket?

But I'm a little dense that way...

Edit: Unless this is like the story about the guy who had 2 pairs of mis-matched socks. One brown and one blue in each pair. Perhaps the driver had 2 delivery tickets and 2 receipts for identical washers, and neither one matched the other?

Edited by impulse

How would this end up with them getting a free washing machine?

Wondering the same here.. as the OP got proof of payment and the bill and all. The other party has none.. and as it goes in this story the driver checked at least for the proof of payment. So the other party would not have gotten it.

But of course scam sounds nicer as clerical error.

First i cannot post name of store, due to forum rules.

How did the driver end up at our house?? easy i made a map wrote address in English

Man in the store wrote it in Thai, driver followed my map.

My phone number was on the map, but a different phone number on the receipt.

I don't quite get it as this sound contra-dictionary:

Deliver to my home ok, draw a map, write your address, also gave my address in Thai.
easy i made a map wrote address in English
Man in the store wrote it in Thai, driver followed my map.

Who wrote the address down in Thai from what?

What was the base of this map?

Was it a map with English location and street names?

You are aware that addresses mean close to nothing for finding a house except for the postman and the villagers close by?

Consider yourself lucky that something arrived at all.

ALWAYS: have your address in Thai on a (PC) printed card/sheet.

ALWAYS: give telephone numbers of (a) Thai person(s) to describe the route for the driver.

Seems to be a simple case of misunderstanding to me. thumbsup.gif

"Deliver to my home ok, draw a map, write your address, also gave my address in Thai."

Misunderstanding?

Its hard Thai reality for bed service.

Why need go to shop?

Just call and say not have delivery.

If still not delivery call bank and cancel payment.

But its happened in Coutry where working law and servise.

It was a handmade map, i live only 2 kilometers from the store.

1 left turn 1 right very easy.

A thai man (friend) wrote the address in Thai on my map.

Adress have in bill?

Avry time i buy some(anythere not only in Thailand)

Give adress in bill and get one copy as proof payment.

Adress have in bill?

Avry time i buy some(anythere not only in Thailand)

Give adress in bill and get one copy as proof payment.

I did get a copy, but did not have my glasses with me, so i could not read it.

The driver had address on bill, and address on hand made map.

2 different addresses 10 kilometers apart, mine Banphai, other address Chonnabot.

2 different phone numbers.

Definately a scam of some sort.

That sounds doable biggrin.png

Who knows what can go wrong.

How 'scam'?

The thing turned up same day. I'd say that was a huge result......

Sounds more like crappy 'customer service' to me or the scourge of Thai retail, way too many staff per customer.

How scam ? easy had the driver used the address on the receipt, our washing machine would have been delivered to the wrong home.

How 'scam'?

Sounds more like crappy 'customer service' to me or the scourge of Thai retail, way too many staff per customer.

How scam ? easy had the driver used the address on the receipt, our washing machine would have been delivered to the wrong home.

I doubt it because the driver checked your payment slip and would not have given it to an other without it. He would be in trouble otherwise and they would have to sign for it. So if it was a scam it was one that was sure to fail.

How 'scam'?

And you think they would have got away with this?

I don't think this was an attempted scam. A mistake seems more likely.

How 'scam'?

You pay by card? so cancel payment as not have goods.

you pay cash .. so go shop and ask give back money , if noot go police..

how its scam?

The 5 times I have purchased items in Thailand for delivery which have been 2 large TV's a washing machine a sofa and a bed each time the deliver drivers have shown up I was required to show them the proof of purchase receipt as well as sign for the delivery.

If it was an attempted scam it was never going to be successful.

Maybe she was a new employee and that's why the other woman was getting involved. Could be anything.

But it's so much easier to blame it as a scam as opposed to stupidity or another reason.

I went one time to pay my motorcycle at Tesco lotus. My payment was 7233b, made the payment and left. 2 hours later when I looked at the bill I noticed she had only applied 233b to the bill. I went back to the store and showed her the bill and she applied the other 7000b to the bill and was very apologetic. I never once thought I was being scammed, but that it was a simple mistake.

Yesterday I went to pay the bill and instead of applying 7233b she omly applied 7223b. Mistakes happen.

Although I now always check my bill before I leave the store.

Edited by Rayk

This is one reason I'm glad I've learned to read Thai. In my opinion, it's easier to learn to read Thai than to learn

to speak Thai. Someone certainly can teach themselves how to read and write their own address. Actually, I'm

amazed with how many people can't write their own name in Thai. You only have to spend a hundred hours or so

in study and a whole new world is open to you. You'll soon discover all sorts of errors in documents like the

letter from the bank for your annual retirement visa extension (better to find it at the bank than have Immigration

point it out to you), at the drivers license bureau when they input the wrong address on the back of your license,

and in restaurant receipts ("I never ordered khao saoy, why are you charging me for it?")

No thanks I refuse to learn that scribble, only leads to more stress and arguments so I let the mrs handle all such matters, that's what she's there for.

Exactly ,though my Thai wife is only semi literate ,and i mostly rely on the 12 year old step daughter .'-)

That sounds doable biggrin.png

Who knows what can go wrong.

Lol So true. It's usually the simplest things in life that go wrong.

No thanks I refuse to learn that scribble, only leads to more stress and arguments so I let the mrs handle all such matters, that's what she's there for.

Exactly!

And if restaurants/shops can't produce me a bill i can read i go to pizza company or so any other place who has english receipts.

But even at pizzacompany it amazes me what a complicated systems they use for ordering.

When we get some deliver it always takes a lot of phonecalls for my wife, hence i never order some delivery myself or they have to follow me home in their car.

The other day i bought a lot of stones, told them to follow me home and they said "can do in 30 minutes sir, you wait". I came back there after 30 minutes and the deliveryguy had allready left to my house but the security wouldn't let him in.

Well in Thailand everything goes wrong, all the time. I wouldn't see the washingmachinedelivery as a scam, who knows why there is another address...such things just happen in thailand.

I agree. People act like learning to read Thai is impossible, but it's not that hard, and it really helps you make sense of the world around you, rather than being basically illiterate here.

Its first i am thiking then start long stay in Thailand.

After few weeks I understood what will often hear the Thai language speech 5-10 min the meaning only "solly"

So then:

I also came to this ideas

Edited by ardokano

was your thai friend in cahoots with the mysterious old lady? The key to this mystery is the old lady, what was she banging on about to the staff member? Maybe your thai friend can tell you, oh no he won't because he is in cahoots. Impossible to solve.

I agree. People act like learning to read Thai is impossible, but it's not that hard, and it really helps you make sense of the world around you, rather than being basically illiterate here.

Its first i am thiking then start long stay in Thailand.

After few weeks I understood what will often hear the Thai language speech 5-10 min the meaning only "solly"

So then:

I also came to this ideas

We are a member of pizzacompany, they have all our details, but it still takes my wife 5 minutes on the phone to order the same pizza's as we always do. What a system!

When you do business with small company's you can really expect anything to go wrong, i still wonder if they do it on purpose or are just that uneducated. Even in restaurants so many things go wrong that we prefer to eat at home, and i always let me wife order in Thai.

Thailand needs European internetshops, they can have 100% perfect service and are still much cheaper then Thai shops.

The times i got a perfect service like that in Thailand i can count on one hand.