Attempted scam

colinneil

I agree. People act like learning to read Thai is impossible, but it's not that hard, and it really helps you make sense of the world around you, rather than being basically illiterate here.

Its first i am thiking then start long stay in Thailand.

After few weeks I understood what will often hear the Thai language speech 5-10 min the meaning only "solly"

So then:

No thanks I refuse to learn that scribble, only leads to more stress and arguments so I let the mrs handle all such matters, that's what she's there for.

I also came to this ideas

Dude, I get more sense from reading Thai than I do from your version of English.

No thanks I refuse to learn that scribble, only leads to more stress and arguments so I let the mrs handle all such matters, that's what she's there for.

Exactly ,though my Thai wife is only semi literate ,and i mostly rely on the 12 year old step daughter .'-)

Many Thais cannot read Thai or are semi literate, ever noticed how they communicate directions? The way and location have to be repeated over and over and over before it registers, when asking for directions that is funny, they will natter for ages before one realises the other has not got a clue. Even Thais have trouble communicating, let them get on with it.

First i cannot post name of store, due to forum rules.

How did the driver end up at our house?? easy i made a map wrote address in English

Man in the store wrote it in Thai, driver followed my map.

My phone number was on the map, but a different phone number on the receipt.

Learn to deal with these things in Thailand. Realise that their first language is not English and make sure everything is understood before leaving the shop. If not certain phone the girlfriend or wife and ask her to explain to the staff. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill or in future drag a Thai person along to do the verbal for you so there are no conflicts of languages.

First i cannot post name of store, due to forum rules.

How did the driver end up at our house?? easy i made a map wrote address in English

Man in the store wrote it in Thai, driver followed my map.

My phone number was on the map, but a different phone number on the receipt.

Learn to deal with these things in Thailand. Realise that their first language is not English and make sure everything is understood before leaving the shop. If not certain phone the girlfriend or wife and ask her to explain to the staff. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill or in future drag a Thai person along to do the verbal for you so there are no conflicts of languages.

Learn to deal with things, drag a Thai person along!!

If you had been following this thread, you would have seen i had a Thai man with me. DOH

• 1 month later...

I agree. People act like learning to read Thai is impossible, but it's not that hard, and it really helps you make sense of the world around you, rather than being basically illiterate here.

Its first i am thiking then start long stay in Thailand.

After few weeks I understood what will often hear the Thai language speech 5-10 min the meaning only "solly"

So then:

I also came to this ideas

We are a member of pizzacompany, they have all our details, but it still takes my wife 5 minutes on the phone to order the same pizza's as we always do. What a system!

When you do business with small company's you can really expect anything to go wrong, i still wonder if they do it on purpose or are just that uneducated. Even in restaurants so many things go wrong that we prefer to eat at home, and i always let me wife order in Thai.

Thailand needs European internetshops, they can have 100% perfect service and are still much cheaper then Thai shops.

The times i got a perfect service like that in Thailand i can count on one hand.

I order online on about 1 min. Also you get 100 baht discount for doing so.

I'd hate to be dependent on my wife for everything, it would seriously affect my self esteem.

Exactly ,though my Thai wife is only semi literate ,and i mostly rely on the 12 year old step daughter .'-)

Unbelievable

• 2 months later...

She was speaking about the stupid farang, thinking i could not understand (wrong).

What exactly did she say?

Why did you speak English?

I wonder how long you've been living in your house and you can't even write your address. 

On 5/5/2016 at 7:57 AM, colinneil said:

I did get a copy, but did not have my glasses with me, so i could not read it.

The driver had address on bill, and address on hand made map.

2 different addresses 10 kilometers apart, mine Banphai, other address Chonnabot.

2 different phone numbers.

Definately a scam of some sort.

Second Address is "Chonnabot"? = Chonnabot means rural Thailand! (the Sticks!) An extremely precise delivery address, I venture to say.
Cheers.

Sounds like Miss Busybody thought she could pull one over on the stupid farang.  Might be amusing to take a drive over to the other address, perhaps in the evening around dinnertime, and maybe get a gander of who lives there.  My money is on the busybody.  Would be great to hear her excuse for why she put her own address on your invoice, "oh, I thought it was for a magazine subscription."   In a country with a real law enforcement system you could have her busted, or at least fired. 

Some Thais feel it is their duty to take advantage of farang.

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Second Address is "Chonnabot"? = Chonnabot means rural Thailand! (the Sticks!) An extremely precise delivery address, I venture to say.
Cheers.

10 Kilometers from here is a small town called Chonnabot.

Members who remember Costas should know that is where he lives.

The moral of the story is LEARN to speak proper Thai!

I know two guys near my house who have both been here over 15 years and neither can tell the months of the year. both have kids at school and don't even know the Thai word for homework. One thought it was the word for housewife, lol.

The busybody was probably trying to help you as you are illiterate, which doesn't always mean stupid(if that in fact is what the woman said)

Typical response when scared or feeling inadequate is to BLAME someone else.

Edited by Johnniey