$260,000 worth of goods stolen from man's carry-on during flight

webfact

$260,000 worth of goods stolen from man's carry-on during flight
By Vivian Kam, CNN

Hong Kong (CNN)It's a lesson in not letting your guard down -- even if the thief isn't going to run off anytime soon.

A man flying to Hong Kong earlier this week claimed he lost goods worth approximately $260,000, after two watches and foreign currency were stolen from the luggage he had stored in the plane's carry-on bin. [Editor's note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly listed the lost amount as $26,000.]

The man, identified by local media as a Turkish merchant, was flying from Turkey to Hong Kong on an Emirates flight.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/04/travel/hong-kong-mid-air-theft/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-05-05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiI5ycRGBuI

Who on earth carries $260K in cash and jewelry onto a flight, then does not lock up the bag? What on earth was this guy thinking?

Reminds me of a story I heard years ago, about a guy who won the lottery in California. He was carrying a brief case with $450,000 cash with him. Went into a bar, and left the brief case in his car. Guess what happened? Yes, someone broke into his car, and was very happy with what they found.

It is hard to allow one's heart to bleed too much, for someone who behaves as carelessly, and as recklessly as this guy did. He has nobody to blame but himself. Take responsibility. Just say I was really stupid.

Just because you peasants have to travel "cattle class" and not with the "civilized" part of the plane, the fact you don't have one decent watch doesn't surprise me either!!

I would expect more from my part of the plane! That just isn't gentlemanly!!

gigglem.gif

Just because you peasants have to travel "cattle class" and not with the "civilized" part of the plane, the fact you don't have one decent watch doesn't surprise me either!!

gigglem.gif

thumbsup.gif

gigglem.gif

Real gentlemen do not denigrate the whole TV population as peasants. You may be surprised to learn that you are not the only person on here who travels business, or indeed first class. Some folks even have their own aircraft. Some folks have chains of jewellery shops and not just a few high end watches.

Manners old bean, manners.

For those who wonder about how stupid we can be carrying cash and watches worth this amount of money, you should check at the price of high end watches. A single complication watch can easily exceed couple hundreds of thousands of dollars and go up couple millions.

I invite you to take a look at Patek Philippe watches for exemple, those are definitely work of art.

Seems it has happened a few times on Emirates flights on the Dubai/HK/Dubai route (as with this one).

Was watching a video of 'Ultimate Airport Dubai' 2016 recently and it featured a similar situation of a thief on board. But nothing like the value of this theft.

http://www.cuzle.com/nonton?v=Ti8D5noV4mk

Go forward to minute 32 and they mention that HK flights is a common factor.

gigglem.gif

Looks as if the "civilized" part of the plane has many scum thieves who can't keep their hands off other people belongings. Maybe that is how they made it to the "civilized class" in the first place.

Happy to travel cattle class then.

Edited by Berty100

gigglem.gif

Looks as if the "civilized" part of the plane has many scum thieves who can't keep their hands off other people belongings. Maybe that is how they made it to the "civilized class" in the first place.

Happy to travel cattle class then.

Alass, there is only one true 'safe area' to keep valuables, although it makes the journey uncomfortable.

Seems it has happened a few times on Emirates flights on the Dubai/HK/Dubai route (as with this one).

Was watching a video of 'Ultimate Airport Dubai' 2016 recently and it featured a similar situation of a thief on board. But nothing like the value of this theft.

http://www.cuzle.com/nonton?v=Ti8D5noV4mk

Go forward to minute 32 and they mention that HK flights is a common factor.

With the right co-ordination this is easy to achieve. The reason people carry large bags of money to Hong Kong is there are effectively no currency restrictions there. If you want to carry a million dollars in a suitcase there then you can walk straight through customs no issue. If it is your own money, there is nothing 'bad' about doing that. If you want to put your own money somewhere private beyond the reach of your Government then that is your choice. It may be a stupid thing to do but it is not illegal. If it is laundering then that is a different matter.

So, how can the crime be achieved - easy! Man on scanner somewhere like Dubai is always getting hits on Gold and cash going to HK. He see large amounts of cash, asks for an inspection of the bag. See's what is in there, asks to see boarding pass,notes name, flight, seat number and description of bag. Calls accomplice who books a last minute flight/ticket on the aircraft. Waits till 3 am go's to seat number, man fast asleep as are most, he opens overhead locker and tries his luck. He only has to strike it hot once every few flights and him and the security man are living the good life.

I have a German friend who was a free-lance buyer/seller of precious gem stones. He often travels back-&-froth between Europe, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Hong Kong, etc. with very large amounts of cash and gemstones which he carried on his person.

When he decided to retire he stashed over $1M worth of gems in his car's spare tire so he could clandestinely transport them to Geneva where he had a buyer. The cash from that sale was to be his retirement money. Well ... you guessed it ... the car was stolen, along with the stashed gem stones.

He was devastated and his very beautiful Swedish wife almost left him. About a year later after pretty much writing off the stones ... he got a call from police in Rome that his stolen car had been found. He held his breath all the way to Rome in hopes the stones would still be in the spare tire. They were.

Edited by HerbalEd

gigglem.gif

Real gentlemen do not denigrate the whole TV population as peasants. You may be surprised to learn that you are not the only person on here who travels business, or indeed first class. Some folks even have their own aircraft. Some folks have chains of jewellery shops and not just a few high end watches.

Just focasing on those that belittled the guy for carrying so much wealth. Thst's his business, and those that can't see the difference need to be told.

He was carrying his valuables, and just because you can't afford it doesn't make him a bad or stupid person!!

He was robbed on a flight and someone committed the crime....

gigglem.gif

Real gentlemen don't make assumptions of another's position in life either.....

Only the reader knows if they fly economy or not......

But one should not judge another because our situations are not the same...

Just because he got robbed of a lot of money / valuables doesn't make him a ciminal or stupid..... it happens!!!

I guess he flown Economy class

Probably but we shouldn't assume it or denigrate him because of it.....

If he didn't then would it be different?

Oh yes it would make a difference, because in another post you claimed that you don't expect such things to happen in business class "your part of the plane" as you so gently called it.

But how would peasants know about that.

Oh yes it would make a difference, because in another post you claimed that you don't expect such things to happen in business class "your part of the plane" as you so gently called it.

The accusations made were that ANYONE travelling with this money / valuables must be a crook.....

I would suspect I have spent more hours in "cattle class" and on flights that you wouldn't board the plane on, to destinations you have never heard of!!!

Not the point! The point is why couldn't a wealthy business man travel with this amount on him? Oh he is a crook, well I have spent a fair few hours in business and I suspect this would be difficult to pull off there!!

If you feel inferior because you have never upgraded, well, not much I can do!!

I invite you to take a look at Patek Philippe watches for exemple, those are definitely work of art.

Art is in the eye of the beholder and there is nothing definite about any imagined work of art as to its aesthetic value. I may not appreciate over priced time pieces, and I do fly cattle class. But at least I make an effort to check my spelling which is pretty darn easy with a spell checker you lazy over paid SOB.

Well ... I guess they wouldn't, but it doesn't stop them posting comments assuming everyone does huh? Trust me it's not really "my part of the plane" but assumptions were made that the guy was a crim because he was carrying too much wealth on him. There was no reference as to where he was seated but..... DON"T ASSUME ANYTHING, (it only makes an ASS out of U and ME!!!)

Well ... I guess they wouldn't, but it doesn't stop them posting comments assuming everyone does huh? Trust me it's not really "my part of the plane" but assumptions were made that the guy was a crim because he was carrying too much wealth on him. There was no reference as to where he was seated but..... DON"T ASSUME ANYTHING, (it only makes an ASS out of U and ME!!!)

If you don't like assumptions, then you should stop making them yourself.

Unless you know the guy personally, how do you get to the point that he is a wealthy businessman and not a criminal? I guess that is just an assumption.

In the article is written he's a merchant, which doesn't automatically mean wealthy businessman.

For example, Victor Bout would also be called a merchant, in fact a merchant of death. He would most probably also travel with highly valued goods in his carry on luggage to countries like Hong Kong, and travel in first class, but instead of a businessman he was one of the bigger criminals on this planet.

So until the moment that is declared who the person is in life, and why he had such large amounts of valuables on his person, it is best to hold on with ridiculing other members posts.

Edited by Berty100