Not Easy To Get Taxis To Put On Their Meters.

tropo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick question regarding taxi's

Is it best to sit in the front or back seat? I'll be travelling with my sister and we are 22 and 23 (if age makes a difference). Im thinking it might be safer in the back?

No seatbelts in the back usually so probably not safer, no.

Taxi drivers refusing to take you where you want to go is probably the only aspect of Bangkok life which really winds me up when it happens. Especially when you get two or three in a row who do this - although if the driver is nice about it it softens the blow somewhat, but a scowl and a gruff shake of the head can really start to grate when you get a few of them...

As soon as i open the door i say meter. if he nods i get in, if he is saying some like oooooooo but i slam the door and go onto the next one.

Many is willing to use the meter, might take you a few taxis but you will get one.

Once at night in patpong it took me about 7 taxis

Is it best to sit in the front or back seat? I'll be travelling with my sister and we are 22 and 23 (if age makes a difference). Im thinking it might be safer in the back?

do you mean car safety or safe in other ways? If you're female and there's only one of you travelling at a time, sit in the back. Well, even if you're both travelling at the same time, I think I'd still sit at the back.

It's easy - taxis waiting in tourist areas like Patpong, outside hotels, Khao San, Cowboy, Grand Palace etc do not put on the meter.

Taxi's driving along that you flag down are generally OK.

agreed one of the earliest (and best) pieces of advice i was given upon arriving in the kingdom was: "If the taxi isn't already moving, don't bother with it."

the honest taxi drivers are always actively searching out fares.

and quit taking taxis at major tourist destinations.

if a taxi doesn't put on the meter and doesn't try to set a price, i often just let him go and pay him a fare i know to be fair for the journey, but i only do it for the conflict i know is sure to come

I personally use taxis in Bangkok as a little as possible.

Bangkok, like most large cities, is a magnet for con artists, scam artists and the like.

that is just silly. taxis in bangkok are generally hassle free

Edited by t.s

From a road safety point of view, the back is the place to be - with one exception... :D:D:D

About 5 years ago, despite my pointing and shouting directions, my taxi overshot the BOI building exit from the Expressway... :D

Replete with a manic grin, he then proceeded to reverse up the highway (in rush-hour) about 500 yards to the exit. :D:D :D :o

Realising that a propane tank was inches from my derriere as well, I was silenced by shock... :D

When getting to destination (by the alternative means), he actually asked me for a "tip" for his great driving ability.. :D

So there are exceptions to every rule!

Edited by bkkandrew

I tell him to turn on the meter.

If he doesn't I get out.

Yes, it's as easy as that.

I've never had a cabbie refuse to turn on the meter when I point it out to them,

Basically they're just testing the newbie factor, opportunist abound, :D

Gave my sister this exact advice - they got out and into the taxi behind, no problem.....

PLUS

PLEASE!!!

DO NOT - NOT - NOT - stand there on the street with your head stuck thru the window discussing where you need to go... for <deleted>'s sake.... GET IN THE TAXI & tell him where you need to go. Any problem, get out and repeat with another taxi. This must be the biggest giveaway that you're ready to be had...

and it really p@isses off other drivers stuck behind your taxi while you ask if he knows where Kao san road is.. :o

coops

post this on a thai message board since a huge percentage of thais do the exact samething. have you been in thailand 10 days mate?

Bangkok, like most large cities, is a magnet for con artists, scam artists and the like.

wow.

I would consider having to flag down 7 taxis just to find 1(taxi) that is willing to turn on their meter and take you where you need to go a hassle.

I have the perfect solution for the problem of taxi drivers that won't use the meter. If you have this problem get someone to write in legible Thai the equivalent of "If you do not turn on the meter now I will get another taxi to take me," on a piece of paper that you can show the driver next time you get in a taxi.....or better still get some business cards with this printed on them and you could hand them around to other people who have this problem.......

Chownah

Most will use the meter however the occasional one will not. If one refuses to use the meter I just don't get out for at least 5 mins and just generally annoy him. Somtimes i call up the taxi centre to report the incident whilst sitting in the taxi. It might not get him to use the meter but he might think twice before trying to pull the stunt again next time.

Main point is NEVER get in the taxi BEFORE they agree to use a meter. Open the front door - say where you want to go and "use meter". 98% of the time I get "kup". Main areas for problems are of course Patpong etc where you usually have to walk along the waiting taxis - after a couple of "500 Baht" idiots the next taxi knows you are serious. Usually ones that are driving not waiting are ok with meter. Never shout, argue etc. Just give them the smile that says "you lying lizard" and walk off. Khao San Road I never had problems. Avoid the waiting taxis though as they are for stupid tourusts. Often there are hundreds of taxis so no need to be cheated

One thing. i am normally dressed well in a shirt, trosers and proper shoes. Shorts/flip flops/backpack/camera shouts "I am a tourist with more money than sense". Thais at all levels give more respect towell dressed people

I don't spend much time in Bangkok, but over the last 4 days I've been using taxis a lot, and found that often it's not easy to find a taxi that is willing to use the meter...usually during peak hours, but not always.

It took quite a while in the taxi rank outside MBK at around 9pm to find a taxi that would use its meter. I was being quoted 200 bht for a 70 baht ride.

Another time I found it impossible to find a taxi willing to use the meter from Khao San Road to China Town (Yaowarat Rd)...they were asking 200 plus, and another day I had difficulty from Yaowarat Rd back to MBK...and eventually negotiated a fare of 130 bht.

Mostly I did succeed, but often impatience got the better of me, and I negotiated a price.

Are there some 'tricks-of-the-trade' that I should learn regarding the use of Bangkok taxis, or is my experience the norm?

Main point is NEVER get in the taxi BEFORE they agree to use a meter. Open the front door - say where you want to go and "use meter". 98% of the time I get "kup". Main areas for problems are of course Patpong etc where you usually have to walk along the waiting taxis - after a couple of "500 Baht" idiots the next taxi knows you are serious. Usually ones that are driving not waiting are ok with meter. Never shout, argue etc. Just give them the smile that says "you lying lizard" and walk off. Khao San Road I never had problems. Avoid the waiting taxis though as they are for stupid tourusts. Often there are hundreds of taxis so no need to be cheated

One thing. i am normally dressed well in a shirt, trosers and proper shoes. Shorts/flip flops/backpack/camera shouts "I am a tourist with more money than sense". Thais at all levels give more respect towell dressed people

I don't spend much time in Bangkok, but over the last 4 days I've been using taxis a lot, and found that often it's not easy to find a taxi that is willing to use the meter...usually during peak hours, but not always.

It took quite a while in the taxi rank outside MBK at around 9pm to find a taxi that would use its meter. I was being quoted 200 bht for a 70 baht ride.

Another time I found it impossible to find a taxi willing to use the meter from Khao San Road to China Town (Yaowarat Rd)...they were asking 200 plus, and another day I had difficulty from Yaowarat Rd back to MBK...and eventually negotiated a fare of 130 bht.

Mostly I did succeed, but often impatience got the better of me, and I negotiated a price.

Are there some 'tricks-of-the-trade' that I should learn regarding the use of Bangkok taxis, or is my experience the norm?

True try it at immigration!1 :o:D:D:D

I'm in bkk since 3 months and had these kind of problems happen to me only once or twice! (maybe I'm very lucky!!) When they ask me 100bath instead of the meter I just laugh...and say in thai ( I learned a little bit of thai before coming in thailand) my destination and if there is a traffic jam to go there. And everything was ok...

Most of the time, I'm on the front seat because it allows me to remember easily the path (maybe stupid but it's like that). Easier also for trying to talk with the driver. I learned a lof words talking with them.

My real problem with the taxi driver it's to explain them where I want to go when I've never been there. Even with a map...it's quite "funny" because both have problems reading it!

Edited by kittyinbangkok

just get in and tell the driver, IN THAI, politely where you want to go. I've never had a problem with the driver using the meter. Sometimes the driver simply doesn't want to take you, so get the next taxi. Speaking English just identifies you as a target to be taken advantage of. It's not that hard to learn the Thai for "I want to go to .........."

I only had one instance where the taxi did not use his meter...and I'm glad he didn't. A friend and I attented a Thai wedding - very cool. We were dressed up and it started to rain, and the Sheraton cabbie charged me 100THB to get to Chan Rd - probably 3 times what it should have. As soon as we pulled away from the hotel, the rain came down in buckets. The traffic was a mess, complicated by a couple of accidents. We finally got to my condo, an hour after we left the hotel. If he had used the meter, the tariff would have been a lot more than the 100THB charged. Interestingly, he wanted a tip afterwards...

Main point is NEVER get in the taxi BEFORE they agree to use a meter.
When you open the door just say meter, if they nod get in, if not go to the next one.

I am amazed to see the number of people who seem to believe that it is optional for a taxi driver to use the meter, that it is a matter for negotiation.

That may have been so at the very beginning when meters were introduced: the law or regulation or whatever required that taxis have a meter and that the drivers have a cap. The result was that the drivers hung the cap on the meter. The regulation did not say that the cap had to be on the driver’s head and that the meter had to be turned on.

That was a long time ago and today it is compulsory for the meter to be turned on. By asking a cabbie, before boarding, whether he will kindly turn on the meter you identify yourself as a potential sucker.

Or, looking at it another way: you walk into a food store where Coca Cola is displayed on the shelf and you ask the sales clerk if he sells Coca Cola.

---------------

Maestro

That was a long time ago and today it is compulsory for the meter to be turned on. By asking a cabbie, before boarding, whether he will kindly turn on the meter you identify yourself as a potential sucker.

---------------

Maestro

In my experience it's not a case of asking the driver to use the meter before getting in the cab, but rather when given the destination the driver will tell his own price. When this happens the driver gets told he has to use the meter, if he refuses.. then we get out and use another taxi.

totster :o

In my experience it's not a case of asking the driver to use the meter before getting in the cab, but rather when given the destination the driver will tell his own price. When this happens the driver gets told he has to use the meter, if he refuses.. then we get out and use another taxi.

totster :o

That's pretty much the procedure I'm used to.

wow.

I would consider having to flag down 7 taxis just to find 1(taxi) that is willing to turn on their meter and take you where you need to go a hassle.

that is by no means the norm. I have not had a problem with a taxi in a very long time. If the taxi is moving and not sittling idly by this simply does not happen.

if you are asking 7 in a row, you are doing something wrong.

• 3 months later...
Main point is NEVER get in the taxi BEFORE they agree to use a meter. Open the front door - say where you want to go and "use meter". ... Main areas for problems are of course Patpong etc where you usually have to walk along the waiting taxis - after a couple of "500 Baht" idiots the next taxi knows you are serious. Usually ones that are driving not waiting are ok with meter. Never shout, argue etc. Just give them the smile that says "you lying lizard" and walk off. ... i am normally dressed well in a shirt, trosers and proper shoes. Shorts/flip flops/backpack/camera shouts "I am a tourist with more money than sense". Thais at all levels give more respect to well dressed people

That's sound advice from Nemo. I use taxis almost every day in Bangkok, and I follow similar procedures to those suggested above, especially wearing respectable clothing instead of anything that looks like the tourist uniform. In three years of using taxis in Bangkok, rarely any problems.

Rubbish indeed : By law they have to use the meter. We employ a taxi for various documentation delivery purposes. If they will not use the meter - grab a cop. Lots of them standing around in BKK.

The standard fine is 500 Baht. Considerable chunk of a taxi drivers daily income.

Agreed - some of the swine who hang around outside Patpong late of an evening are "at it", b ut then again it is many a year since I got a taxi down there.

All taxis must have a photo and name of the driver in the front left of the windscreen. There is also a number to call if you have any complaints.

Our taxi guy (mind you, he is completely insane), insists that these complaints are taken very seriously whether from Thai of Foreigner.

Ms C has no worries at all about getting in BKK taxis at any time of day or night - alone.

She has a the magic taxi name to mention if there is ever any problem.

(I think death is involved).

One facet of the problem is pronounciation - if you cannot explain fairly clearly where you are going then for sure some up country guy renting a motor by the day who does not know BKK will try to charge as much as possible cos' they don't have a clue where they are going either!.

Three days ago, I got a taxi from Phahanyothin to Charan Sanitswong in BKK: driver was a born and bred Bangkokian and didn't have a clue how to get from A to B.

(too lazy to get the no. 28 bus).

Jeez......look at the map, it is a fairly easy process.

However, by directing him and having a nice old chat along the way we eventually got there for the standard price, which at noon is between 70-90 Baht depending on Traffic.

Nice guy and very apologetic.

Not being personal, but do you have dreadlocks, wear shorts and a creased t-shirt?.

It's a Thai thing - look kind of organised and speak softly. Works wonders.

Goodness, when some lunatic farang stabbed me in the foot last November (photos on request!), a taxi took me home for free - ace guy and I have his name and number and he was reported to the taxi mafia as being a No.1 guy - anyone wants a description of him and motor, do ask.

Most are guys trying to earn a buck in a saturated market and I admire their patience and politeness.