Do You Read Books?

Personally, i have absolutely no interest in what people read or in telling them what i read. Cannot for the life of me understand the logic behind it.

The title of the thread is clear enough. Your kind of logic suggests strongly that you wouldn't open it. Then you tell us you don't understand why anyone else should be interested.

Curious contradictions of logic I think

If i see a road accident, i look, doesnt mean i want to be in one. What a close friend or rellie read, i can understand an interest in that, but a complete stranger, Not in the least.

Am I to understand then, being a member in a forum of strangers that unless you know them, you are not interested? Nearly 600 posts you have made suggests you are interested. Which brand of logic do you follow?

Read my posts. Im not showing an interest in people, but sharing my opinion on the quality of their posts. My aim is to educate. EG. Checking how many posts a person has made, is that going to extend your life, make your existence any better etc. So, whats the point. P.S. While your there, now its very hot, what temp. do you suggest i set my aircon. on?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, i have absolutely no interest in what people read or in telling them what i read. Cannot for the life of me understand the logic behind it.

I don't think logic is your strong point.

s

Here is a bit of logic. What books do the 3rd, 5th, 16th , 21st poster read? (if they named books) Do you remember, so, my logic is, what was the point in them telling what books it is they read. Not for one moment knocking people for reading, that is where my extensive wealth of knowledge on most topics comes from.

s

Here is a bit of logic. What books do the 3rd, 5th, 16th , 21st poster read? (if they named books) Do you remember, so, my logic is, what was the point in them telling what books it is they read. Not for one moment knocking people for reading, that is where my extensive wealth of knowledge on most topics comes from.

This maybe difficult for you to understand, but I have been pointed towards authors that I had no knowledge of previously, by forum members here, as I have movies and TV series on the "What movies are you watching" topic. Doesn't mean that I will necessarily enjoy every book or movie someone has recommended, but at least I have expanded my horizons.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I recently bought his book Iberia, it is a bit slow. I enjoyed The Covenant and although not by Mitchner I'm considering re-reading Shogun. I love books that take me away to another time and place.

Sharon K Penman wrote a series of books - fiction/fact of the Welsh Kings in the time of the Plantagenets. Or the English translations of the Maurice Druon series "The Accursed Kings", perhaps.

In science fiction, Frank Herbert's classic "Dune" series will certainly take you to another time and place. Or Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, starting with "Dragonflight". The original books are better than the sequels.

I kind of swore off reading after I finished my undergraduate degree (and then I usually only read if there was some points or score attached to it) but now I find that I enjoy reading a bit - just pleasure . I'll sit on my lanai and relax and just read. Right now I am re-reading Shogun (Clavell) a book I read years ago in a freshman level lit class.

s

This maybe difficult for you to understand, but I have been pointed towards authors that I had no knowledge of previously, by forum members here, as I have movies and TV series on the "What movies are you watching" topic. Doesn't mean that I will necessarily enjoy every book or movie someone has recommended, but at least I have expanded my horizons.

Why on earth are you responding to a poster who has made it clear he has no interest in this thread?

He has no interest, but feels the need to keep posting. Why he keeps posting is known only to him, but there's no reason for anyone to continue the conversation.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I recently bought his book Iberia, it is a bit slow. I enjoyed The Covenant and although not by Mitchner I'm considering re-reading Shogun. I love books that take me away to another time and place.

All the Clavell books are great as well....
Shogun - after all these years I am still stunned and hurt that the lady died.

My first experience with Mitchener, many decades ago, was Hawaii. That book remains my favorite.

Isn't Shogun the one where somebody was slowly boiled to death? It gave me nightmares for a long time, and there's noway on Earth that I'd consider reading it again.

Stephen King's Misery had the same effect on me - a good book, but the stuff of genuine nightmares because the torture is believable. Another book I would never read again.

Michener's Hawaii was great. First 50 pages and all you got was the islands breaking the surface then disappearing again. Centennial was also great

Shogun was panned by a friend and it took me a year to break down and read it. I read all Clavell books after that.

Kings The Stand was read abridged and the ending was horrible but after the unabridged version was released was a great read

Was referred to Wilbur Smith and have enjoyed every one.

Herbert's Dune was awesome but the following got worse and worse every until I stopped. He blew his load on the first one.

Cussler Clancy Creithon are all good reads. Daniel Easterman also does a good job

Not reading is like never going snorkeling or diving. Half the worlds wonders are underwater

Now reading Illiad by Homer,just for fun

Michener's Hawaii was great. First 50 pages and all you got was the islands breaking the surface then disappearing again. Centennial was also great

Shogun was panned by a friend and it took me a year to break down and read it. I read all Clavell books after that.

Kings The Stand was read abridged and the ending was horrible but after the unabridged version was released was a great read

Was referred to Wilbur Smith and have enjoyed every one.

Herbert's Dune was awesome but the following got worse and worse every until I stopped. He blew his load on the first one.

Cussler Clancy Creithon are all good reads. Daniel Easterman also does a good job

Not reading is like never going snorkeling or diving. Half the worlds wonders are underwater

Now reading Illiad by Homer,just for fun

Much as I love reading, this is a bad simile. Diving and snorkeling are real life experiences.

Fictional novels are wonderful because they engage the imagination. Factual books tell us about the past, or the possible future. Interesting and educational, but not real life experience IMO.

Let me try and explain it to you. Other readers may recommend an author I've never heard of, and expand my reading horizon.facepalm.gif

Heard of Google?

How do you Google a name you don't know?

Google "unknown Authors", it works.

I read on Thaivisa every day , it keeps me busy . On Thaivisa I get drama, soap operas, crime, fiction , facts, politics , and jokes.

Who need books ?

I read on Thaivisa every day , it keeps me busy . On Thaivisa I get drama, soap operas, crime, fiction , facts, politics , and jokes.

Who need books ?

There aren't that many literary geniuses on here!

In any case, quality authors know how to tell a story, whatever it is about.

I for one, really enjoy reading similar type stories but differing styles of English. That's why there are the "Classics": Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Enid Blyton for children, not to mention the King of them all - William Shakespeare.

Edited by ChrisKC

Who need books ?

There aren't that many literary geniuses on here!

In any case, quality authors know how to tell a story, whatever it is about.

I for one, really enjoy reading similar type but differing styles of English. That's why there are the "Classics": Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Enid Blyton for children, not to mention the King of them all - William Shakespeare.

I remember having to read Hardy at school. It nearly killed me. The Trumpet Major I think.

What we did study though was Tam O Shanter coupled with The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and there began my love of literature. Wonderful stories.

I remember reading a book about goalkeepers by Brian Glanville (I think) when I was a kid. I would LOVE to find that for my kid.

Books beat Thai TV everytime.

You just don't get it and no amount of explaining will make it any clearer.

I refuse to accept such bombastic insolence from one whose mental capacity is not fully developed. (read that in a book somewhere)

I refuse to accept such bombastic insolence from one whose mental capacity is not fully developed. (read that in a book somewhere)

Was it a comic book, can't imagine you being able to handle anything more intellectual.

I did warn posters that it was not a good idea to respond to a poster who had made it clear that he had no interest in this thread! (Smug look smile.png )

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am very happy to have just been directed to this thread by a poster on another topic-into which I inadvertently wandered.

I have just finished reading Loius de Bernieres' very fine novel "Birds Without Wings" which is set in a small town in Turkey between 1912 and 1923.The town's population is a mixture of Turks,Greeks and Armenians and the novel describes the ensuing fragmentation and the rise in racial hatreds as Turkey goes to the wall under the impact of 11 years of incessant and disastrous war.

As an author de Bernieres appears to be highly sensitive to the extraordinarily cultural complexity of the Eastern Mediterranean-as witness his previous novel "Corelli's Mandolin" which is set on the Greek island of Cephalonia.

It certainly is very nice to discover some book readers because I have not managed to find any around here in Ubon.

Cheers!