Do You Read Books?

I may well be in a bubble of my own on this! I see hardly any mention on TV that anyone reads!

Do you read?

What do you read?

I read books and I read magazines and newspapers online.

Today I have Andrea Wulf's The Invention of Nature. The Adventures of Alexander Von Humboldt to hand and Yasunari Kawabata's Palm Of The Hand Stories.

I try to read Thai books but they are pretty tedious. Other Asian Literature from Japan, Korea and Singapore for example is far more challenging.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some years ago I remember a very long thread on what people were reading and recommendations etc. Probably wrong but I think started, if not he was a major contributor, by Bookman.

Sure I do!

I have a kindle that I have been using for a couple of years but now im thinking about starting with regular books again, somehow it feels like a more genuine experience. Ebook readers are great though, since its free (sorry) and you can get virtually any book.

Right now im reading "People Who Eat Darkness". Well worth a read.

I also read: History (mostly war, espionage), fiction & about interesting persons during time.

Uses kindle & iPad mini and sometimes a good old real book.

I sometimes spend too much time on-line and then say to myself; enough and get the book and go sit out on the patio.

When I go overseas/off-shore for work for normally 2 month, I always bring my kindle loaded with unread books.

Yep. Proper old-fashioned ones, usually second-hand and a little battered. I find them a nice change from all the technology.

have you visited the guesthouse on soi chaiyapoom with the book section.......may be up your alley!.....next to triangle bar

Yep. Proper old-fashioned ones, usually second-hand and a little battered. I find them a nice change from all the technology.

have you visited the guesthouse on soi chaiyapoom with the book section.......may be up your alley!.....next to triangle bar

I've no idea where that is.

I get most of my books from the marvellous Dasa books - http://www.dasabookcafe.com/

Ha!

I found a nifty little secondhand vendor in Penang a while back.

I opt for Stephen King these days and avoid anything remotely intellectroverted or cleverish or ackerdemique.

I get most of my books from the marvellous Dasa books - http://www.dasabookcafe.com/

I take it your based in bangkok?

Do you know the corner of soi diana & soi buakhao..........oasis ago-go(soi buakhao)

I take it your based in bangkok?

Do you know the corner of soi diana & soi buakhao..........oasis ago-go(soi buakhao)

I am indeed. Never heard of those sois, though.

oh ok..........i'll leave it at that then...

But if your ever in pattaya ask someone where soi chaiyapoon is........next to corner of soi buakhao and soi diana.......walk up chaiyapoon 60metres on left is guesthouse

(will see long table with farangs eating brunch normally.....adjacent/next door to triangle bar)....book shelves behind long table.......pommy owner-Dave......

And if you after cheap beer....triangle bar has buy1 get 1 free........around 70-80 baht for 2 san miguels or singha.......band at around 6pm also......

cheers......

ps....have heard good reviews from a few falang book worms.......can rent or buy books i think!

Soi Biker, I think Nasrullah is talking about Canterbury Tales in Pattaya but we clean living chaps don't venture there.....It has a good selection but not in as good 'order' as Dasa. They also do good grub and cheap beers where you can sit and pore over your purchases while watching the passing Pattaya circus....

A lot of the stock is the (very) dusty old stock from the long defunct Swan Books on Soi Buakhao. It is well worth a rummage if you ever find yourself in that area as he does have some hidden gems in there but it can be bleedin' hot in there....

As for the OP's question, yes I read, avidly. Not too keen on ebooks though as I prefer the feel of paper in my hand.....

At home in Bangkok I have a (near) complete set of Wodehouse, Conan Doyle, David Nobbs, and various other Victorian Lit (Collins, Dickens, Stoker etc), which I like to pluck at randomly to peruse over afternoon tea or sundowners in the garden...

In Bangkok another great place for a rummage is in the small market behind Wat Chanasongkhram. There are a few stalls there where some great bargains can be found.

Most of their stock comes from quackpackers, flogging off their accumulated books on the cheap before going home which is reflected in the excellent prices. One of the stall holders is an old lady who speaks decent English but also knows her stuff.

I'm working my way through "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribbin.

Also, the place I'm staying in has some paperbacks, and I have just re-read "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" by John Le Carre.

Soi Biker, I think Nasrullah is talking about Canterbury Tales in Pattaya but we clean living chaps don't venture there.....It has a good selection but not in as good 'order' as Dasa. They also do good grub and cheap beers where you can sit and pore over your purchases while watching the passing Pattaya circus....

yes thankyou Mr meryl....the name escaped me-canterbury tales.

Pattaya circus.....LOVE it!........Have you ever sat near 'calamity corner' .......another circus LOL.....

You can even listen to the circus while in bed....one morning i awoke to what seemed an argument in a nearby guesthouse(farang-thai lady)

It sounded as if the foreigner was about to throw his lady friend off the balcony........it all died down but lost ome of my beauty sleep...biggrin.png

I used to be a bookworm and spent probably too much time with my head stuck in a book. Once I'd started reading, I would stay up far too late - until I couldn't put off going to sleep any longer as I had to go to work the next day.

Failing eyesight put an end to that as wearing glasses gives me eye-strain. Computers are bad enough, but books - even worse...

Friends recommended Kindle paperwhite - but even Central (in Phuket) had no idea what I was talking about, so I've given up as I'm not keen on giving my bank details online.

And yes, I miss reading good books.

Dasa is great.

In Chiang Mai check out Backstreet Books and Gecko... both on Chang Moi Kao, Off Thae Phae Road near the gate.

Archived