Importing a few Orchids to Thailand, anyone tried this?

I've done a bit of research and it seems there are many orchids that would do well in an outdoor garden in Thailand. Of course there are many wonderful orchids available even along roadsides here in Isaan, but most orchids are not. Another issue and more importantly is that orchid sellers here are not really too concerned with what the orchid is named, even the Thai name can often be matched up with the latin name with a google search, but I often have to pass when the seller just gives me a "mai loo" when I ask what the orchid's name is, it seems either they either simply don't know or think it is pointless to say the Thai name to someone who looks like they shouldn't speak Thai.

Of course the name is important to know because you need to be able to look up how to take care of the orchid or even discuss with others on orchid web boards who have experience with growing the orchid. In many cases if you don't get things quite right for an orchid, you will never see any flowers even if the plants are otherwise fairily healthy. So by ordering from outside the country you at least get a name and by that a good handle to succeed at getting the plant to flower.

So that leads in to my question, is it even possible to have small plants sent here? There is a great orchid grower in Ecuador called Ecuagenera with over 6,000 species that they grow and sell online and they seem well set up to export orchids. They provide CITES and phytosanitary documents for customs but I cannot find any info from the Thai end of things as to what they will allow and not allow and what thy require. Has anyone succeeded at buying a few plants online and having them sent here?

The Thai online sellers, while providing names for the orchids seem a bit unwelcoming. Either they only sell wholesale or if they do sell retail their websites are rabidly disorganized, in Thai language only thus suggsting there would almost certainly be many problems and misunderstandings and glitches with any order. But if people know a good Thai onlin seller, I'd certainly give that a shot.

Archived