Thaksin Willing To Stand Trial

sriracha john

Lawyer: Thaksin willing to stand trial

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is willing to stand trial for corruption and extrajudicial murders which may have been committed by his regime, according to an exclusive story this morning by a Bangkok-based foreign correspondent. The New Zealand news website Stuff.co.nz, in a dispatch from its Bangkok correspondent, quotes Mr Thaksin's lawyer. "No direct allegations have been made against the former prime minister or his wife. The matters are being investigated," Noppadol Pattama said to the correspondent, Richard S. Ehrlich. "He has no immunity. And he is prepared to come to court, no problem," Mr Thaksin's lawyer said in this morning story. "He is being prepared to answer all the charges, the best he can." Asked about public demands that Mr Thaksin be put on trial for murder after orchestrating police to wage a gruesome "war on drugs," during which more than 2,500 people perished, the lawyer replied: "He is not involved. It is just allegations. They have to prove it. But he is innocent."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=114022

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra Willing To Stand Trial In Thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is willing to stand trial for corruption and extrajudicial murders allegedly committed during his reign, and wants to return from self-exile when martial law is lifted, his lawyer said in an interview.

"No direct allegations have been made against the former prime minister or his wife. The matters are being investigated," said Mr. Thaksin's recently appointed lawyer, Noppadol Pattama.

"He hasn't fixed the date of return. He will consider coming back when the time is right, when the situation has returned to normality, and the situation is calm."

Asked if Mr. Thaksin will return when martial law is lifted, Mr. Noppadol replied: "Most likely, most likely.

"He is a Thai national. His home is here. It is very natural for Thai people to want to come back to Thailand."

The disgraced prime minister was in New York attending the United Nations when overthrown on Sept. 19, and has since hunkered down in London, but was currently in the Chinese capital, Beijing, meeting friends and playing golf, Mr. Noppadol said.

"He has no immunity. And he is prepared to come to court, no problem," Mr. Thaksin's lawyer said. "He is being prepared to answer all the charges, the best he can."

Asked about public demands that Mr. Thaksin be put on trial for murder after orchestrating police to wage a gruesome "war on drugs," during which more than 2,500 people perished, the lawyer replied:

"He is not involved. It is just allegations. They have to prove it. But he is innocent."

The arrogant, Texas-educated prime minister claimed during his 2003-04 anti-drug campaign that most of the killings were committed by rival criminals silencing informants, liquidating the competition and covering their tracks.

International and Thai human rights groups, however, said police shot dead many of the victims -- including innocent people -- in blatant extrajudicial killings, to satisfy Mr. Thaksin's monthly quotas against illicit manufacturing, smuggling, selling and consumption of methamphetamines, Ecstasy, ketamine, cocaine, heroin and marijuana.

"Drug dealers and traffickers are heartless and wicked," Mr. Thaksin declared in October 2004.

"All of them must be sent to meet the Guardian of hel_l, so that there will not be any drugs in the country."

In an interview on Thursday (November 2) at a Bangkok hotel, Mr. Noppadol described his role as "a lawyer for the former prime minister and his family," including Mr. Thaksin's wealthy, politically savvy wife, Pojaman, and their three children.

Mr. Thaksin's son and daughters received huge cash, stock and property transfers during the prime minister's five years in power, apparently to deflect allegations that Mr. Thaksin was too monopolistic, or was profiting directly from conflict-of-interest deals and tax loopholes.

Asked what charges he expected to defend Mr. Thaksin's children against, the lawyer replied: "Tax issues, the share sale issue."

He was referring to the disastrous January sale by the prime minister's family of its shares in the Shin Corp. telecommunications empire, to the Singapore government's Temasek Holdings.

The Thaksin family apparently did not pay capital gains tax on the 1.9 billion U.S. dollars they pocketed, prompting huge street protests in Bangkok and ripening public opinion in favor of the bloodless military coup.

stuff.co.nz

Edited by sriracha john

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is willing to stand trial for corruption and extrajudicial murders which may have been committed by his regime, according to an exclusive story this morning by a Bangkok-based foreign correspondent. The New Zealand news website Stuff.co.nz, in a dispatch from its Bangkok correspondent, quotes Mr Thaksin's lawyer. "No direct allegations have been made against the former prime minister or his wife. The matters are being investigated," Noppadol Pattama said to the correspondent, Richard S. Ehrlich. "He has no immunity. And he is prepared to come to court, no problem," Mr Thaksin's lawyer said in this morning story. "He is being prepared to answer all the charges, the best he can." Asked about public demands that Mr Thaksin be put on trial for murder after orchestrating police to wage a gruesome "war on drugs," during which more than 2,500 people perished, the lawyer replied: "He is not involved. It is just allegations. They have to prove it. But he is innocent."

Continued here:

See bold above:

I can't find anything on the website of www.stuff.co.nz :o

So far it's not (yet) confirmed news.

LaoPo

If it is true, it might be a sign that Thaksin is still confident that he can buy the judiciary here, like he has done so many times previously. :o

I think that is more a case of "I did not give any direct order to....".

Much as centuries ago King Henry 8th (before my time) asked aloud " who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" and a while later the Archbishop was murdered. All he wanted was a divorce as he ruled the country anyway.

All Thaksin has to say is that he didn't order it and then it is up to the prosecution to prove beyond a showow of a doubt that he did.

:D

Continued here:

See bold above:

LaoPo

In the post above yours SRJ is apprently quoting from stuff.co.nz.

Any chance of a link ?

totster :D

Continued here:

See bold above:

LaoPo

In the post above yours SRJ is apprently quoting from stuff.co.nz.

Any chance of a link ?

totster :D

Thanks Totster; I saw that after I posted; so I searched once more (www.stuff.co.nz) but I can't find anything.

I even did the search on that website on Mr. T's name....nothing.

LaoPo

We should not forget that from Mr. Thaksin's point of view it is very important for him to be in the headlines regularly or his remaining supporters will think he has deserted them. It is not necessarily what is in the story that is important but the fact that the story is in the news, although no doubt he would prefer sympathetic stories.

Items prohibited from TV forum discussion were removed... :o

I just found out, but my last (removed) message was not intentially; I just quoted from the 'link to scoop' by JD; sorry Mods.

LaoPo

/Mod Edit - and I've just deleted the link to prevent any more accidents. Suffice to say that it is confirmed that the story has been published by an international source.

Edited by Jai Dee

Thaksin is willing to stand a trial - like he has a choice.

He only wants to be heard, that's all. Cheap, time tested trick - in case of losing declare a victory and retreat.

Not many cases where he himself would have to take the stand, actually. Maybe that Ratchada land, and only because of his wife. All other corruption cases like CTX involve only his ministers. Maybe they can uncover some hidden, undeclared assets, but it's not a criminal offence, it's election law.

Same, same... but NOT different... like she has a choice.

Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, the wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin, offered to have their assets seized if they were found to have been obtained illegally.

- The Nation

Same, same... but NOT different... like she has a choice.

Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, the wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin, offered to have their assets seized if they were found to have been obtained illegally.

- The Nation

:o:D

He only wants to be heard, that's all. Cheap, time tested trick - in case of losing declare a victory and retreat.

Not many cases where he himself would have to take the stand, actually. Maybe that Ratchada land, and only because of his wife. All other corruption cases like CTX involve only his ministers. Maybe they can uncover some hidden, undeclared assets, but it's not a criminal offence, it's election law.

Actually, he is standing trial right now when you think about it, and also without the opportunity to present a defense. A formal trial would allow him this right. Even Saddam got the opportunity to present a defense, such that it was.

Proving culpability in ex-judicial killings would most probably be even more difficult to prove than corruption, given that all reported cases involving police have been reviewed and documented by other police officials. It would be very difficult for someone outside the system to step in and prove otherwise.

If it is true, it might be a sign that Thaksin is still confident that he can buy the judiciary here, like he has done so many times previously. :o

Much as centuries ago King Henry 8th (before my time) asked aloud " who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" and a while later the Archbishop was murdered. All he wanted was a divorce as he ruled the country anyway.

All Thaksin has to say is that he didn't order it and then it is up to the prosecution to prove beyond a showow of a doubt that he did.

Didn't Saddam's lawyers said the same: "I did not give any direct order to....".

Ousted Thai PM 'ready to stand trial on criminal charges'

BANGKOK (AFP) - Deposed Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is ready to stand trial and defend himself against any criminal charges, his lawyer in Thailand said.

Coup leaders who ousted Thaksin on September 19 have justified the bloodless putsch by saying widespread corruption during Thaksin's five years in office had undermined democracy.

Noppadol said that Thaksin, who left his self-imposed exile in London and flew to China last week, might consider returning to Thailand once martial law is lifted.

"Thaksin has the right to defend himself in the court. He has prepared and is ready for that, even though no direct accusation has yet to be made against him. The matters are just allegations," Noppadol Pattama told AFP.

The billionaire businessman's trip to Beijing last week came amid swirling rumors that negotiations were underway to secure permission for his return to Thailand.

Local media reported Monday that security had been stepped up along the Thailand-Laos border amid further rumours that Thaksin may try and slip back into Thailand via the Golden Triangle.

However Noppadol dismissed such reports and said that Thaksin had no plans to return to the kingdom in the near future.

"He has no immediate plan or has even approached anyone here to come back to Thailand. He will consider returning when the situation has returned to normality," Noppadol said.

"Once the martial law is lifted, it is one indication that the situation here is back to normal. Then, the former premier is much more likely to return."

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who was installed following the putsch, has said that martial law will be lifted as soon as security commanders are confident that no political movement against the new government remains.

But Thailand's junta said over the weekend that they had detected "secret cells" aiming to destabilize the post-coup political situation in the north, where Thaksin enjoys wide support, and was closely monitoring their political activities.

Thaksin was in New York at the time of the coup, and had since been living in self-imposed exile in London where he has a home.

Source: AFP - 06 November 2006

BANGKOK (AFP) - ...........

though no direct accusation has yet to be made against him.......

For a guy who said so many idiotic things in his time he seems to

be playing a smart game now.

Six weeks now , with martial law etc.

Talk about land deals , airport deals , Somchai's murder but nobody

has yet dropped the other shoe.

If the previous administration was so corrupt and lawless , WHEN is

somebody actually going to be charged with something ?

:o

At the risk of being accused of nit-picking, the line"Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest" was uttered by King Henry II,speaking about Thomas a Becket (The Lion in Winter). :D

The best solution for Takky & Podgy would be for a Robespierre type character to step out from the shadows of the coupe(sic) and offer them a chance to meet Mr.Guillotine in recognition of their lifestyle of excesses. Instant martyrdom. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

Didn't the former P.M's visa run out in the United Kingdom and a Beijing visa run killed two birds with one stone?

BANGKOK (AFP) - Deposed Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is ready to stand trial and defend himself against any criminal charges, his lawyer in Thailand said.

Coup leaders who ousted Thaksin on September 19 have justified the bloodless putsch by saying widespread corruption during Thaksin's five years in office had undermined democracy.

Noppadol said that Thaksin, who left his self-imposed exile in London and flew to China last week, might consider returning to Thailand once martial law is lifted.

"Thaksin has the right to defend himself in the court. He has prepared and is ready for that, even though no direct accusation has yet to be made against him. The matters are just allegations," Noppadol Pattama told AFP.

The billionaire businessman's trip to Beijing last week came amid swirling rumors that negotiations were underway to secure permission for his return to Thailand.

Local media reported Monday that security had been stepped up along the Thailand-Laos border amid further rumours that Thaksin may try and slip back into Thailand via the Golden Triangle.

However Noppadol dismissed such reports and said that Thaksin had no plans to return to the kingdom in the near future.

"He has no immediate plan or has even approached anyone here to come back to Thailand. He will consider returning when the situation has returned to normality," Noppadol said.

"Once the martial law is lifted, it is one indication that the situation here is back to normal. Then, the former premier is much more likely to return."

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who was installed following the putsch, has said that martial law will be lifted as soon as security commanders are confident that no political movement against the new government remains.

But Thailand's junta said over the weekend that they had detected "secret cells" aiming to destabilize the post-coup political situation in the north, where Thaksin enjoys wide support, and was closely monitoring their political activities.

Thaksin was in New York at the time of the coup, and had since been living in self-imposed exile in London where he has a home.

BANGKOK (AFP) - ...........

though no direct accusation has yet to be made against him.......

For a guy who said so many idiotic things in his time he seems to

be playing a smart game now.

Six weeks now , with martial law etc.

Talk about land deals , airport deals , Somchai's murder but nobody

has yet dropped the other shoe.

If the previous administration was so corrupt and lawless , WHEN is

somebody actually going to be charged with something ?

:o

The previous administration had about 5 1/2 years at it, the new government has been in place for 6 weeks... I have 90 days to contest a traffic violation where I'm from.

Give them time. They won't announce the find of every single piece of evidence as they're digging but will let the whole crate drop from above once it's full enough.