Another violence in Thailand post

lovelomsak

Never in any of the 34 years I have been here. Most "incidents" anywhere in the world depend on a number of factors.

1. If you are displaying openly what appears to be wealth

2. Have an attitude that you are looking for trouble

3. Are alone in a quite prt of the town / city at night and

4. It is obvious you have had more to drink than is reasonable

I have been to too many places to do any of the above. Item 4 does not apply to me as I gave up drink many years ago but that is another story

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 years BKK and Pattaya saw 2 Thai guys beating another Thai ,I was on the bus,house broken into 8 years ago Pattaya ,but chased off ,police caught him ,went to prison,re offender ,in Pattaya saw two guys on motorcycle grab chain off German guy ,no injuries ,one Songkran saw a smartly dressed falang ask another falang not to throw water,he did they fought,that's it

I was walking through Manchester last night and randomly attacked three Thai looking people just to redress the balance.....

I didn't really but what an incredible load of piffle is posted here....

What do you people do to get in such a mess? I've been 20 odd years in Thailand and just never had a problem like this. maybe try learning some of the lingo and a little about the culture before venturing to the airport.....

Never in any of the 34 years I have been here. Most "incidents" anywhere in the world depend on a number of factors.

I have been to too many places to do any of the above. Item 4 does not apply to me as I gave up drink many years ago but that is another story

Sorry none of those apply to my incident.

For number one I dress simple

Number2 I keep to myself seldom bother others for any thing.

number3 My incident happened in my hotel room.

number 4 I donot drink,smoke or do drugs.

So your generalizations do not work all the time sorry.

I was walking through Manchester last night and randomly attacked three Thai looking people just to redress the balance.....

I didn't really but what an incredible load of piffle is posted here....

What do you people do to get in such a mess? I've been 20 odd years in Thailand and just never had a problem like this. maybe try learning some of the lingo and a little about the culture before venturing to the airport.....

No need to be an apologist... Incidents happen and as we are reading, many go unreported.

We are dealing with human nature... and one thing is for sure - we, the human race have the ability to display extreme kindness towards but also extreme violence.

Of course, violence can happen anywhere, but this forum is not AnywhereVisa.com... its ThaiVisa.com and we are discussing incidents that have happened in Thailand.

The last time I saw and was a victim of violence myself was when I was returning to Bangkok from Koh Larn having spent a night on the island. A British expat threatened to kill me because I wouldn't move from a pedestrian island( traffic is not allowed there) as I was waiting in the middle of the road trying to safely cross the road. He later drove the mororcycle into me and hit me and my luggage and drove off while screaming profanities at me... I have never seen such level of violence in my whole life and the sheer stupidity of it was kind of disturbing - so now Pattaya is a permanent no go zone for me. I didn't even spend a minute in Pattaya, it happened as I was trying to cross the road to the Pattaya Bus station as I was returning from the Pattaya Pier by taxi.

Prior to that I had a few altercations with mostly only foreigners - I had one Scott from Glasgow who tried to get into fight with me over a very minor dispute - he only notified me that he had a problem by literally charging me and challenging me to a fight. Since I didn't accept the challenge and quitely told him to get lost - no violence actually took place. I have to give this guy some credit, 15 minutes later he approached me and aplogized, I guess it finally sunk to him what an idiot he was for behaving that way.

There was one more serious incident with British and French expats, again, loss of face, people just go ballistic over minor issues these days, violence seems to be the only thing on the mind of too many expats these days, not a lot of people are willing to just talk it out anymore.

I had one altercation with a Thai, but I did make him lose face big time I guess, even though I caught him doing something kind of nasty - I should have contacted the authorities instead of trying to explain what he did wrong to the Thai directly, he was high on drugs and alcohol at the time, challenged me to a fight, I didn't budge, so he gave up eventually. No violence took place. I only had to endure about 40 minutes of unspeakable verbal abuse from the Thai in my direction - he didn't take it well that I was trying to lecture him...

There was also one small incident in Samut Prakan, a dog slightly bit me once, but the teeth didn't penetrate the skin, so it was no big deal I guess. Also there was one kid in the neighbourhood who tried to cut me off at the local Tesco Express, I wouldn't let him. So a couple of days later I saw this kid fingering me and shouting "Hey f u Farang"... I was a little surprised by all of it, but didn't think much of it cause I guess it was just a kid.

There was a Thaivisa member who got hit over the head with his own frying pan by burglars while he was typing away on his computer.

I know him well. But robberies happen in every country around the world. And he lived in a very remote area.

I've had a relative threaten me. Absolutely bizarre. Trying to save face when I asked him about a very small scratch in my car after he used it for a month while we were gone.

I've had more problems with foreigners....

How many ROBberies you know in Singapure or Switzerland, Monaco. HK its not country and Macao too but..

So I cant say robberies happen in every country around the world.

Edited by ardokano

I am 62 yrs of age (Mr here) I have been around the world a couple of times with British forces. I have been ashore in hundreds of foriegn ports consumed more alcoholic beverages than I wish to remember. I've been crawling back drunk I've on one or two occasions slept on the floor in whichever bar I was in. I have never ever ever been involved in any form of violence both towards me or from me in any bar in any foreign city I have ever visited in my 62 years. And never in Thailand in my numerous visits dating back to the early 70's.

Edited by jeab1980

All this is four thinks some times happened with me or my friends in Macao or Manaco.

And NEVER have any problem.

So NOT anywhere on ther world.

And i do bot hear about ROB in Singapure or Switzerland.

Do you?

I am 62 yrs of age (Mr here) I have been around the world a couple of times with British forces. I have been ashore in hundreds of foriegn ports consumed more alcoholic beverages than I wish to remember. I've been crawling back drunk I've on one or two occasions slept on the floor in whichever bar I was in. I have never ever ever been involved in any form of violence both towards me or from me in any bar in any foreign city I have ever visited in my 62 years. And never in Thailand in my numerous visits dating back to the early 70's.

Lucky.

And good for you.

:)

Edited by ardokano

I've been in a few situations in the last 12 years I've been here where I felt insecure but, fortunately, they fizzled out. But I understand violence can easily happen in the current climate. The economy's sour and there's a heckuva lot of political tension under the surface. One half the country's pissed off with the other. It's like two people who hate each other left on a deserted island.

Best thing for foreigners is to mind your own business, smile freely, be unfailingly polite and respectful, and disengage asap from situations which look like they can go south.

But I don't think it's ever us-against-them. Thais are proud that people like us love their country well enough to leave our own and move here. And they were never colonized by the West. So there's no historical animus against us.

i will touch wood and say no.I dont like to tempt providence.But in the years i've been here i have learned that there are ways.

I never go to loud bars in busy areas that cause attention.I dress,not scruffy,but i never wear polo or lacost unless going somewhere safe and will be going and picked up by a friend.I live in a village and although our house is nice i buy Thia style furniture.I drive a 15 year old car and i never pull out lots of cash to pay for goods when there are unknown Thais around me.I like them to think that i am struggling just like them.If we do go for a night out,we take a small bag for clothes and drive the car to the local hospital car park.We then get the bus into the city and a taxi to our hotel.And the same going home.My wife will not wear her jewellery when out and about,in the village.we use the local shop and the owners have got to know us Sometimes i even do a little acting,telling them my pension doesnt come until tomorrow,and can i pay them then,i do the same thing with the local restaurant where we sometimes eat.They always agree and the cafe owner gives me a beer too,but i always pay the next day. We get the farmers leaving us a sample of their field produce,like some veges or sometimes a fish.Our neighbours son works for Chang and he will often bring me home a couple of beers.

All this is very nice,but i always pay back the kindness,or help when i need to.I had to get up at 3 am one night to start my neighbours car with my jump leads,and gave them to him in case he had further need of them while he was away.So,i have to say.Not yet to the OP's question. Not yet!

Near 10 year ago i be drunk this my NEW Brit friend and few girl foreigner and Thai abd some another guys i even do not remember.

After few bar "ours" girls try protect one japan girl from agressive Thai guys.

So start beef.

And come some thais more /both side(becouse we have thai girls too)

So final some guys slap girls and ....

Its cost me 35$k.. One day visit my "new" thai friends with uniform to HK meet me and my Chines friend who introduce me this is Thai guy (all i pay).

Broken pinkie, lost phone and etc.

But I get very very good frind from UK.

Get Thai friend with uniform and his help me and my friend alot after.

Get GF (but only for few month, her parents dont want she have not Thai BF).

So all in life happened its for better thinks.

As example simular situation few year ago cost me in China near 5 time more and even near month in prison. And banned entry to China for 3 year in total.

In HK its cost me 4 month prison abd few thousand. And after problem with renew HK id.

And even in US just protect my self

I am not be drunk guys want my stuff and cash. Cost me near 10k

for the lawyer to cancel the charges.:(

And more important its broken watch -gift from very close to me friend and his gon. :(

So Thai its not to bad.

And can say its safty place.

Even compare with some western country.

In 1973 I was out with my future wife at Paradise Pool in Udorn. I had been drinking and decided I wanted some fried rice from a restaurant near by, My future wife told me to take off my baht chain before I went to the restaurant as it was dangerous to wear a gold chain. Oh course I was young and did not listen. On the way back, someone tried to take my chain from behind, I was able to turn around and had him on the ground and was hitting him. Then another Thai came out of he alley and hit my head with a pipe as my friend just stood there. I did get 5 stitches... Lessons learned no gold and new friends when I go out... My home was robbed in 73 as well, but had nothing of value taken as any valuables were on base... No one was home... I did go to the police (things have not changed) about the assault and robbery of the chain, He wanted me to pay him to look into to it... I just walked away!!!

Edited by johndudorn

Around 1990 I was lecturing at a university in Bangkok and living with a bar girl in an apartment just off Sukhumvit. While I was at work she would gamble at cards and smoke ganja or ya ba every afternoon with the other girls living in the apartment building. She wasn't very bright and of course lost everything every day. I finally had enough and told her "one more time and I will pack your things and put them outside the door." The very next day I came home and she was drunk and gambling with the girls. I packed her things in one of my suitcases and bags and put everything outside the door. A few hours I hear knocking on the door, looked through the spy hole and there she was. I opened the door but blocked it with my body. Her friends had loaned her a butcher knife which she proceeded to wave around. I picked up a kitchen chair but unlike most this one had bottom supports running front to back and not side to side. She walked right up into the chair and stabbed me three times in the abdomen before I could get the door closed. Called the front desk and they sent someone around but her friends had already helped her hide somewhere. Had to open me up at the hospital as one stab nicked my liver while the other two did little damage. Never filled out a police report and never saw or heard from her again. Valuable lesson learned though.

And your "valuable lesson" was what, exactly? Don't be a lowlife idiot? cheesy.gif

No, but seriously...I think this post is a good example of what's behind the vast majority of "violence against farangs" in Thailand: farang men acting with their "small head" and putting themselves in seriously dicey situations that they don't need to (in the case of Thai women doing the violence), or guys trying to be tough and not simply walking away from potential trouble (in the case of Thai men doing the violence).

99.9999% of violent encounters in Thailand can be avoided if one is not a wannabe tough guy dick or one doesn't put oneself in dangerous, lawless situations.

Also, a disclaimer: I'm no stranger to nightlife and hanging with "rough people" in Thailand...but I know when to back away and when to simply get out, so I can live to have fun another day.

Edited by Saastrajaa

I was mugged (knocked unconscious and robbed) in Pattaya some years ago. That is my one and only time violence has been used against me in 30 years here. I was an innocent guy just out for an evening stroll. Now I go out for a walk with my Labrador and a stick.

One attack here is probably far less than if I'd carried on living in London.

No violence from Thais just some little-short-ass Turkish guy in Chiang Mai.

He was selling kebabs (would like to know if he's still there actually) and when my drunk friend had no money to pay (spent it all on the juice I suppose) and before i could offer to pay, this little shit started to be offensive. With that, I said something like, 'Yeah and your mother' to which he came around the other side of the cart swinging his machete at me (you know the long knife to cut the cooked meat)

I know off topic but can any Chiang Mai guys tell if he's still there selling kebabs? The same street where the Irish pub and the pizza by the slice shop are.

Around 1990 I was lecturing at a university in Bangkok and living with a bar girl in an apartment just off Sukhumvit. While I was at work she would gamble at cards and smoke ganja or ya ba every afternoon with the other girls living in the apartment building. She wasn't very bright and of course lost everything every day. I finally had enough and told her "one more time and I will pack your things and put them outside the door." The very next day I came home and she was drunk and gambling with the girls. I packed her things in one of my suitcases and bags and put everything outside the door. A few hours I hear knocking on the door, looked through the spy hole and there she was. I opened the door but blocked it with my body. Her friends had loaned her a butcher knife which she proceeded to wave around. I picked up a kitchen chair but unlike most this one had bottom supports running front to back and not side to side. She walked right up into the chair and stabbed me three times in the abdomen before I could get the door closed. Called the front desk and they sent someone around but her friends had already helped her hide somewhere. Had to open me up at the hospital as one stab nicked my liver while the other two did little damage. Never filled out a police report and never saw or heard from her again. Valuable lesson learned though.

And your "valuable lesson" was what, exactly? Don't be a lowlife idiot? cheesy.gif

No, but seriously...I think this post is a good example of what's behind the vast majority of "violence against farangs" in Thailand: farang men acting with their "small head" and putting themselves in seriously dicey situations that they don't need to (in the case of Thai women doing the violence), or guys trying to be tough and not simply walking away from potential trouble (in the case of Thai men doing the violence).

99.9999% of violent encounters in Thailand can be avoided if one is not a wannabe tough guy dick or one doesn't put oneself in dangerous, lawless situations.

Also, a disclaimer: I'm no stranger to nightlife and hanging with "rough people" in Thailand...but I know when to back away and when to simply get out, so I can live to have fun another day.

So in your disclaimer .. you're also admitting to be 'lowlife idiot'?

He was selling kebabs (would like to know if he's still there actually) and when my drunk friend had no money to pay (spent it all on the juice I suppose) and before i could offer to pay, this little shit started to be offensive. With that, I said something like, 'Yeah and your mother' to which he came around the other side of the cart swinging his machete at me (you know the long knife to cut the cooked meat)

I know off topic but can any Chiang Mai guys tell if he's still there selling kebabs? The same street where the Irish pub and the pizza by the slice shop are.

There is one Turkish guy in Chiang Mai married to a Thai. He has a restaurant on Charoen Prathet Road and runs a kebab stall at the night basar.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d8799210-Reviews-Little_istanbul_Chiang_Mai-Chiang_Mai.html#photos;geo=293917&detail=8799210&ff=172840746&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=101&baseMediaId=172840746&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7

Been here 16 years ran business in BKK for 12 we employed some educated Thai male students as tour leaders, can safely say i am still friends with them now

However other than that i avoid Thai men like the plague and certainly have no thai male friends and thoroughly intend to keep it that way, simply i have NO interest in them in what they say or do and would never ever trust one!

in most cases their arrogance is only matched by their ignorance

No violence took place though .

They also didnt target you because you were a foreigner, they targeted you because they thought that you were more likely to have more things to steal than a local guy would have

Well, it was still a crime and still violent in a stealth sort of sense. The intent was to rob, which doesn't always have to involve pushing, shoving, stabbing or shooting. Drugging people to rob is a common technique and it's interesting to read this story about such an incident that happened 25 years ago, so 1991, which confirms that this type of crime has been going on for many years.

There is one Turkish guy in Chiang Mai married to a Thai. He has a restaurant on Charoen Prathet Road and runs a kebab stall at the night basar.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d8799210-Reviews-Little_istanbul_Chiang_Mai-Chiang_Mai.html#photos;geo=293917&detail=8799210&ff=172840746&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=101&baseMediaId=172840746&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7

Not to be off-topic but can anyone tell me the work permit situation of these guys. I see a lot of foreigners selling kebabs, Mexican food, Arab food, Indian food etc., usually guys from the respective countries where the food comes from i.e. Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis/Sri Lankans, Turks, Middle easterners and well a Mexican looking guy in the case of the Mexican taco stand but how many of these guys are legal? How come the police doesn't check their work permits? Where are the 4 Thai staff? I rarely see actual westerners running these places, but none of these people look even remotely Thai either yet they're allowed to work in public places? If they do indeed have work permits then I take my comment back but somehow I doubt they do.

Been here 16 years ran business in BKK for 12 we employed some educated Thai male students as tour leaders, can safely say i am still friends with them now

However other than that i avoid Thai men like the plague and certainly have no thai male friends and thoroughly intend to keep it that way, simply i have NO interest in them in what they say or do and would never ever trust one!

in most cases their arrogance is only matched by their ignorance

I agree. However, there are some Thai men who can be good friends, but only the older, more educated ones. I am talking about people aged 40-45+ with children and running businesses. Even though I am perhaps 20-35 years their junior, they actually make for interesting conversation partners. However, 20-35 year olds still talk about childish things, can act like thugs and are just not my type. Even if some of them know a thing or two about cars (well usually they don't know as much as they claim) they generally talk more about anecdotes and gossipy things than about actual useful topics.

I responded to two Thai guys on a motorcycle as they rode past shouting "F^%k you Farang !"

They U-Turned and got off their bike and squared up for a fight. I was ready.

After facing off, they turned away, got on their bike and rode away... I thought that was it.

5 mins later, 6 Thai Guys rocked up and faced off to me... I saw a large Machete slung over one guys back...

Bugger... I was in trouble...

As they approached me I gave a Wai and an apology... they seemed to shrug their shoulders, turn round, get back on their bikes and rode off...

That was that... I was very lucky... but I remember it and learned from the encounter.

More information please. Why did they shout at you to begin with. Must have been a prior altercation or incident. Personally, I've never had some random stranger I've never previously seen before shout anything at me. Maybe a group of teenagers snickering, while standing around "oh look, farang!" but that's about it. Most Thais don't even know enough English to say "<deleted>".

My name is Kevin Matthew Wall and live in Nong Ki buriram I sustained a vicious attack by a motorcycle gang of youngsters between the ages of 13-18 and I will tell you this they were trying to kill me I stayed in a coma for almost 3 months in the hospital in buriram for 6 months then mother took me to Tampa bay general brain injury hospital and it took me till right now just to go out and walk I used to be a excellent athlete and these lousy no good Thai people injured a man for nothing at all just because they are jealous and weak, and can never fight one on one

Yeah you hear all this talk about muay Thai kick boxing yeah right I'm Santa Claus to

Believe me what I say China is going to come here and obliterate these stupid cockroaches who have disabled a very good loving man

Nong Ki Buri Ram. I've been there. Actually a friend of mine got married to a local girl from there, so I stayed the night and attended his wedding the next morning. It's a very rural, non-descript town most people on their way to Surin or Ubon Ratchathani just bypass.

Can you explain where this incident took place (petrol/gas station, karaoke bar etc.) time of day, what prompted it etc. also WHEN this happened, year?

In such a town, I couldn't imagine there would be anything to do. When I arrived at 10pm, I went straight to the hotel, greeted my friend and some of his friends, gave him a beer then went on the computer for a bit, watched TV then went to bed. Karaoke, especially the rural Thailand style is not my thing, never has been, never will. I also wouldn't go to a bar in a place like that. Drinking in my room, maybe, but that's about it.

Anyway, are you back in Nong Ki now? If I were you, I'd have stayed in the US.

Why do you want to know? are you researching a book? doing an article for some a publication

Otherwise whats the point why you want to know?

Why do you want to know why he wants to know ??? are you doing an article for some publication of why some ThaiVisa members ask certain questions??whistling.gif

I figure the answer is pretty obvious - you are being facetious, objectionable and daft.

------

It's pretty obvious why the Op is putting forwards this question: Given the apparent recent increase in violence against Westerners in Thailand its interesting to know whether this is an actual increase, or whether the increased reports are a result increased access to social media.

I'm not sure if there's really a "recent increase" in violence against westerners in Thailand. If there is any increase in violence, it's against everybody. While violence against foreigners concerns me very much, I am skeptical that there is any significant increase to the past, except for the fact that violence is being reported much more regularly than it used to be. As the OP's story has shown, back in those days when the incident against him occurred (1991) there was no social media, news reporting wasn't as sophisticated as it is now and most incidents were unlikely to even be reported in the first place. So yes, I think social media exposure is one of the main reasons for this.

Reports such as the 6 vs. 1 attack by thugs against that homeless guy, the rape and killing of a young girl on a train a few months ago, the violent attack against the Lao hooker and many others did not involve westerners, but are every bit as concerning.