Another violence in Thailand post

lovelomsak

Lived in Hong Kong for 23 years & was there last Nov. Let me assure you that the crime rate in HK is very low. With an extremely low incidence of random crime. In all my years there never experienced even the least hint of a threat. Still the same. BUT, HK has a very high ratio of police per 100 citizens. 3 policemen. And no, not BIB. Well trained &. university educated. "Tea Money" will lead you in one direction - jail! I used to feel very safe in Thailand. - now not so much!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived in Hong Kong for 23 years & was there last Nov. Let me assure you that the crime rate in HK is very low. With an extremely low incidence of random crime. In all my years there never experienced even the least hint of a threat. Still the same. BUT, HK has a very high ratio of police per 100 citizens. 3 policemen. And no, not BIB. Well trained &. university educated. "Tea Money" will lead you in one direction - jail! I used to feel very safe in Thailand. - now not so much!

Yes that is true.

But in HK still hight rate teft and drugs traffic.

Londry money.

Buts it not danger for health.

Its not as robbering.

:)

Ps

Live in HK 3 year

Worst case of violence I saw was a farang abusing a thai. Phuket central mall. Horrible Brit guy. Shaved head, tats. Came out of the cubicle, pants around his ankles...sht down the back of his ass, full frontal naked. The smell. Absolutely violently abused the poor tiny middle aged cleaning lady. Was horrible. I hope she didn't understand English because what he called her was vile. All because he didn't realise you had to take toilet paper in the cubicle with him. I hoped she had 6 brothers or cousins come and visit him. I was ashamed to be part of the human race that day let alone farang.

well its not like the 6 brothers could kick the "sheet" out of him is it.
maybe not but would have sat and cheered them on if they tried

I have no idea where you are obtaining your statistics. Most HK people live in high rises - as a security you need to key in a code to get in - petty theft is practically non existent. Likewise bag snatching etc. my sister in law has lived on the 37th floor of a high rise bldg for over 30 years.never had an incident. Many years ago a smuggling ring was stealing expensive cars to ship to China. That was stopped. How long ago did you live there? I could walk across town at 3;00 am & not worry about it. Used to walk my small dogs on a lonely sea wall late at night. Not activities I would dream of doing here

the violence goes down..exponentially...the farther you are from soi sex.

Up in Udon....it is quite rare.....I know of only 5 cases or so in 5 years.

have to agree with that. Familiarity breeds contempt. I've found areas I've lived in Isaan generally it seemed to me people equate trouble and legal issues with Farang = money = no win situation. I've been to parties, broken up fights etc and never felt threatened in the village. Might be a different story in a Karaoke or pub. Worst problem is putting a Thai bloke in a position where you embarrass them particularly in front of girls. Like back to school. The most difficult situation for me being around drunk Thai blokes is them just annoying the pss out of u wanting to be ur best buddy (and buy them drinks smokes all night). You have to discourage them early on in the piece without offending them. Like Abbos but better looking. I avoid anything to do with low class Thai blokes now. Never ends well

In the decade I have been here it seems to me that drunkenness is a bigger issue now - I don't know about drugs. I have been threatened a few times (I am a woman) - mostly road rage - but I feel much less safe these days. I am sure many Thais feel disempowered whereas they believe we are not. There is more subtle hostility now - imo

The incidences of violence in Thailand seems to have increased since the min. wage was raised nation wide to 300 baht.The

service companies seemed to have laid off 1 out of 3 of their labor force to offset the increase in labor expense and those laid off cannot or will not look for or find other employment. They were never the pick of the litter, thus they were let go to start with.

I think a fairly large percent of those laid of have gone through their severance pay and there are few avaliable positions they want to take as they have gotten more lazy and feel they are above the menial labor. The choice many seem to have made is criminal activity and sometimes this turn violent. Add the number of mobil phones added during this time and the public awareness and recording of criminal acts and it would appear the country is becoming more violent. And probably with a lot of justification.

Just an opinion of mine based on factors I have mentione. Tthere are othe factors that enter the puzzle, costs of basic needs, cost of having a good time, etc but these items are just some things that have brought out the bad side of some of the population who were recieving money legally to satisfy their basic needs and wants a few years back and now are not.

In the decade I have been here it seems to me that drunkenness is a bigger issue now - I don't know about drugs. I have been threatened a few times (I am a woman) - mostly road rage - but I feel much less safe these days. I am sure many Thais feel disempowered whereas they believe we are not. There is more subtle hostility now - imo

I've heard Thais say Thailand has changed for the worst over the last 10 years. Biggest obstacle I see here for the country ever growing (apart from lack of / poor education is the ingrained selfish attitude of everyone. I'm talking amongst thai people here. It's grab what you can and bugger everyone else. You should see what they do to their waterways up country.

The incidences of violence in Thailand seems to have increased since the min. wage was raised nation wide to 300 baht.The

service companies seemed to have laid off 1 out of 3 of their labor force to offset the increase in labor expense and those laid off cannot or will not look for or find other employment. They were never the pick of the litter, thus they were let go to start with.

I think a fairly large percent of those laid of have gone through their severance pay and there are few avaliable positions they want to take as they have gotten more lazy and feel they are above the menial labor. The choice many seem to have made is criminal activity and sometimes this turn violent. Add the number of mobil phones added during this time and the public awareness and recording of criminal acts and it would appear the country is becoming more violent. And probably with a lot of justification.

Just an opinion of mine based on factors I have mentione. Tthere are othe factors that enter the puzzle, costs of basic needs, cost of having a good time, etc but these items are just some things that have brought out the bad side of some of the population who were recieving money legally to satisfy their basic needs and wants a few years back and now are not.

I dont know if that's right? Just about zero unemployment here isn't it? You do realise many are still 50-100 baht under the minimum wage here? Like many things in Thailand even though it's the law, it's more a suggestion than a reallity. Mobile phones must have changed the culture enormously in so many ways

You're trying to explain something that doesn't exist. I've never been a victim of violent crime in Thailand in 10+ years. What the heck are you people talking about?

You're trying to explain something that doesn't exist. I've never been a victim of violent crime in Thailand in 10+ years. What the heck are you people talking about?

I haven't experienced it either but I always get the feeling it's never far away. Few incidents lately a wake up call for me. Problem is some of these people seem to think nothing of sticking a knife in someone. Hello? U want to live in prison for 10 years?

You mean you didn't see the coverage of the elderly couple beaten up in Hua Hin - the Canadian guy shot in the back & now paralyzed in Chiangmai or the German guy shot in the head & killed - also in CM. The latter 2 incidents were a while back. I just touched my horn at a guy who cut me off really dangerously, & the driver & the pick up following him followed me into my Moobaan. I was so mad I just got out of my car & waited their windows were black & I couldn't see them. I guess they thought no fun beating up a middle aged western woman & finally they left. Not a pleasant experience

You mean you didn't see the coverage of the elderly couple beaten up in Hua Hin - the Canadian guy shot in the back & now paralyzed in Chiangmai or the German guy shot in the head & killed - also in CM. The latter 2 incidents were a while back. I just touched my horn at a guy who cut me off really dangerously, & the driver & the pick up following him followed me into my Moobaan. I was so mad I just got out of my car & waited their windows were black & I couldn't see them. I guess they thought no fun beating up a middle aged western woman & finally they left. Not a pleasant experience

I dont think you being a woman would have tugged on their conscience. To be honest I find the most agressive and suicidal drivers on the road are Thai woman

Are we talking about violence we see in the news, or violence that we've personally experienced? Yes, I watch/read the news, both in Thailand and my homeland in the USA. Crime and violence practically every day....somewhere. But personally experienced? Zero. If you want to live your life worried about crime you watch in the news, go for it. I can only go by what I see every day, which is not nearly as dire as you're trying to make it out to be. As for road rage, I honestly see it less in Thailand than in the big cities USA.

In his last dream

???

Songkhla...

If you were serious, I'm sorry and excuse me, I thought/understood you were jokingfacepalm.gif

Very serious... with a very silly and thoughtless response I placed my safety and future at the whim of 6 guys looking for violence.

Fortunately, they decided not to kick the living day lights out of me and life continued as normal... Perhaps in another world, a parallel universe, there is another me with brain damage or missing an arm... etc..

I was purely at the hands of a group of 6 Thai guys... in effect, my future from that point onwards could have been very different.

The lesson I learnt at the time was to maintain control of my immediate future by not reacting.