Hua Hin airport to be expanded to accommodate larger aircraft

It would seem the money in the brown envelopes when the airport was originally built has dried up..so right on the heels of the announcement

of a new ferry service..Hua Hin's planners think it's time to expand an already defunct airport.

(Years ago Bangkok Airways on their BKK-Samui route used to drop into Hua Hin..& why not..they were flying right over. The morning flight out of BKK served breakfast with coffee, orange juice & croissant, & it was great. But that service ended when the H.H. Airport hiked it's fees & BKK Airways almost overnight responded to hua hin's greediness by simply staying at their cruising speed/altitude right over Hua hin...

...Som nam na! )

(...)

Instead, I believe after living there since 2003, that it always will be what it is now, an expensive sea resort town with mostly dirty and un-attractive beaches that gets flooded during the weekends with Bangkok upper class.

Haven't been there in almost two years, what you wrote does apply to the beaches downtown. However I've always found the ones near Kao Takiab fairly nice, reasonably clean and without those sharp rocks you get wounds from downtown.

Has it changed?

Only major annoyance was the jellyfish of course.

Back to the topic: I recall flying once with my special one back to BKK from there many (15+) years ago. We came to the airport so much in advance that we had ample time to walk by the beach and sit down. The security surrounding the runway was so relaxed that we literally ended up sitting within meters from the runway and watched a plane land. Quite a sight. Must have changed today I guess.

(...)

Instead, I believe after living there since 2003, that it always will be what it is now, an expensive sea resort town with mostly dirty and un-attractive beaches that gets flooded during the weekends with Bangkok upper class.

Haven't been there in almost two years, what you wrote does apply to the beaches downtown. However I've always found the ones near Kao Takiab fairly nice, reasonably clean and without those sharp rocks you get wounds from downtown.

Has it changed?

Only major annoyance was the jellyfish of course.

Back to the topic: I recall flying once with my special one back to BKK from there many (15+) years ago. We came to the airport so much in advance that we had ample time to walk by the beach and sit down. The security surrounding the runway was so relaxed that we literally ended up sitting within meters from the runway and watched a plane land. Quite a sight. Must have changed today I guess.

Yes those beaches more to the South are great, wide and clean

However, the Russians found that out too since the last few years, unfortunately...

Cha-am is still nice and quiet though.

Cha-am is still nice and quiet though.

Cha-Am? where in Cha-Am if I may ask?

My Thai family has pulled me there by my hand once while we were staying in HH because it was (quote) less a farang place (end quote).

Indeed, it really looked like what middle-class Thais love i.e. beaches packed with armchairs and unmbrellas touching each other, constant bugging by food, toys and whatever vendors, loudspeakers playing loud music and constant announcements ("owner of car XX1234 please come move your car"). This plus garbage thrown everywhere. Not many westerners, right.

Must be another place in Cha-Am you're talking about, or has the place been cleaned up? (my going there was at least 2 years ago)

Archived