UK 3 pin sockets and plugs availability

AhFarangJa

I know that after many years visiting Thailand I should know the answer, but please make allowances for a senile old bugger gigglem.gif

I have gone through the forum, but cannot find a definitive answer,

I am not happy with the Thai sockets in my kitchens, and want to change them out for UK sockets. can these be purchased in Thailand ( with the back boxes ), or will I have to bring some with me when I retire in August? ( already read the funny post a few years ago by Naam, and Crossy )

Humble appreciations for any info. wai.gif

You don't need UK electrical sockets. You might want to install Thai sockets that are for international use. They have three pins and take UK plugs.

You can even get them with a switch. All you need is to make sure that you have proper grounding and possibly add an electric breaker with ELCB to your distribution board.

Multi_plug.jpg

Here an example of the type of the Scheider Electric sockets I installed in Thailand.

In picture one, you can see a standard three-pin Thai plug next to a two-pin Thai plug. Picture two, shows an additional UK plug and picture four an additional Euro plug.

Picture five is a standard three-pin socket with a standard Thai plug; this cannot take UK plugs though.

post-155923-0-02161200-1462601853_thumb.

post-155923-0-69882900-1462601863_thumb.

post-155923-0-94036800-1462601873_thumb.

post-155923-0-41378100-1462602600_thumb.

Very important.

The universal sockets are extremely useful, however there are a couple of points worth considering:-

1. The contact area is very small, they really shouldn't be used for anything over a few hundred Watts, kettles and fan heaters are definitely out.
  2. The L and N connections on a UK plug are the opposite way round to the Thai (and most of the planet) outlets, so you could end up with the plug fuse in the neutral.

"Real" UK plugs can be obtained in Malaysia and Singapore so there's no need to trog back to the UK for them, but please don't wire ring finals, put them on 20A radials, at least them the local sparks have some idea what's going on.

I brought twin UK sockets together with the back box with me from the UK, one for each room. One of the sockets has 2 USB sockets built in. Also brought a 4 gang surge protector for computer use. I prefer to use brands I know and trust. I brought spare fuses as I have a number of small appliances with UK plugs.

Thanks Bantex,

Unfortunately, I will be flying in from Saudi Arabia, so will not be able to purchase in UK. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my original post, but all information is gratefully received.

Many thanks wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks Bantex,

Unfortunately, I will be flying in from Saudi Arabia, so will not be able to purchase in UK. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my original post, but all information is gratefully received.

UK style sockets, back boxes and plugs are available in Saudi !

Thanks Bantex,

UK style sockets, back boxes and plugs are available in Saudi !

Indeed they are :)

Very important.

The universal sockets are extremely useful, however there are a couple of points worth considering:-

1. The contact area is very small, they really shouldn't be used for anything over a few hundred Watts, kettles and fan heaters are definitely out.
  2. The L and N connections on a UK plug are the opposite way round to the Thai (and most of the planet) outlets, so you could end up with the plug fuse in the neutral.

"Real" UK plugs can be obtained in Malaysia and Singapore so there's no need to trog back to the UK for them, but please don't wire ring finals, put them on 20A radials, at least them the local sparks have some idea what's going on.

And don't forget to bring the metal or surface mounted boxes for those UK facia's since they are bigger than the Thai ones. As the picture in the post above shows you can't get 2 UK plugs side-by-side in that international facia.

Archived