Stereotypes in Thailand

Stereotypes in Thailand

post-245411-0-19827200-1462635419_thumb.

Years ago I met a Thai who thought that a stereotype was a kind of sound system.

Even when the concept was explained and understood they found it quite hard to comprehend. Surely people of all kinds fell into certain groups and who could possibly complain at being referred to or even labelled in this way. It was true, wasn’t it?

I mean Thais smile a lot and are always respectful, Westerners don’t take enough showers even though they can all afford to, maids are all uneducated and come from Isan and speak Lao, doctors are all brilliant in white coats who know everything and, naturally, the pretty girl in the soap gets the handsome guy in the end and the loveless fat one is happy for them both.

That’s just the way it is, seemed to be the idea.

Years of living in Thailand have taught me that many attitudes have changed for the better but some are so deeply engrained as to defy change.

Perhaps the perennial debate of stereotypical names for racial groups is just the outer edge of the issue. Whatever your view on a word like ‘farang’ it is really just the tip of the iceberg. Terms far more racially belittling are still bandied about like confetti with those uttering them oblivious to offence that might be caused. Never mind the rampant sexism, ageism and views connected to body shape and skin colour. More likely many are not a laughing matter, more racist and harmful than merely stereotypical.

Those soaps are top of the list for perpetuating the stereotypes of course. Their formulaic approach to storytelling is said to be based on Thai stories since time immemorial. It is a winning formula repeated time and again and crosses over to much of Thai cinema. The pretty heroine, often downtrodden or mistreated, a victim of the evil girl who gets the guy for a while, before a combination of maids, ugly girlfriends and ladyboys help her overcome against all odds.

Buck the trend and your movie will fail at the box office or your series be panned in the TV ratings.

But at the start of a TV soap series if I dared to tell the missus what is going to happen I would, in no uncertain terms, be told to shut it!

The news is no different. The headlines that scream from the nation’s press profile visitors to the nation as ‘people from the land of beer’ (Germans), ‘from the land of perfume’ (French), Kangaroo land (Aussies) and for some reason ‘those from the land of respectable people (yes, the British!).

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/stereotypes/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-05-07

Why would Thais want to think and act like another nationality when they have their own beliefs, have never lived anywhere else, and probably never will?

Stereotypes are often helpful shortcuts for navigating life in my opinion. You can’t possibly get to know all 7 billion people as individuals.

Edited by villagefarang

Yes sir, yes indeed ..here in Thailand I have been stereotype during my entire 28 years here.

I am white skinned and blue eyed and have a longer nose and having the more typical Caucasian features ....so I am stereotyped as a Farang

On the average I have more money than most Thais so I am stereotyped as being rich and greedy and a Cheap Charlie by the average Thai person.

I am also Stereotyped as being naïve and or stupid by Thai people because I am not Thai and therefore I am just another Dumb Farang and never capable of understanding Thai ways...so I am double stereotyped in their minds.

As a man I am stereotyped as being a whore monger because, according to the average Thai person, all I am here for is the women and sex so I am double stereotyped as a whore monger and a womanizer...before I even step off the plane.

I am also stereotyped as the exploiter of Thai people because I come here to use them and take everything and give nothing back.

And finally amongst other things....I am stereotyped as a trouble maker because the average Thai believes all the problems in Thailand can be attributed to the many foreigners coming here and creating the problems that currently exist....

Can not win, either way, no matter what...... I remain stereotyped and racially profiled by the Thais.....lol

Cheers

I have known a farang for a few years in LOS that I just looked at as a stereotype, put up with his waffle and smile.png .

The other night having a few beers he came out with, "Anyone who follows a religion is a _anker", I replied.

"I am in no way religious, but my dad, Sgt.Maj. ________ in his later life became the Deacon of his local church, are you calling my dad a _anker"..?. He waffled a bit losing his rag, so l repeated the question. He said "Yes".

Well that was my 'bridge to far', l got up, told his wife he was f_____ crazy and left..

There has always been other stuff too. So did a bit of research, came up with 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder", read it all and it is this guy to a 'T'. This guy has been chucked out of bars upsetting folk with his mouth.

Am I off topic..? laugh.png

Then you need to make a point with the man and buy him the appropriate T shirt and given to him as a gift.

On the front of the T shirt it reads:

Instant Axx Hole

Just Add Alcohol

Cheers

When I was teaching, I tried to teach the word 'stereotype' and the associated concept. However, like the OP found it is just not a concept that the average Thai can get their head around. I think you need a western cultural background to understand the concept. It is not really how Thai people think.

I have known a farang for a few years in LOS that I just looked at as a stereotype, put up with his waffle and smile.png .

The other night having a few beers he came out with, "Anyone who follows a religion is a _anker", I replied.

"I am in no way religious, but my dad, Sgt.Maj. ________ in his later life became the Deacon of his local church, are you calling my dad a _anker"..?. He waffled a bit losing his rag, so l repeated the question. He said "Yes".

Well that was my 'bridge to far', l got up, told his wife he was f_____ crazy and left..

There has always been other stuff too. So did a bit of research, came up with 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder", read it all and it is this guy to a 'T'. This guy has been chucked out of bars upsetting folk with his mouth.

It may come as news to you that many people regard religion as a mental disorder.

Christopher Hitchens said it best with: " Good men will do good, and evil men will do evil. For good men to do evil - that takes religion".

It may come as news to you that many people regard religion as a mental disorder.

Christopher Hitchens said it best with: " Good men will do good, and evil men will do evil. For good men to do evil - that takes religion".

Well the bloke I mentioned most certainly has, and he ain't religious...laugh.png

Where did I say mental disorders were reserved for religious people?

Yes sir, yes indeed ..here in Thailand I have been stereotype during my entire 28 years here.

I am white skinned and blue eyed and have a longer nose and having the more typical Caucasian features ....so I am stereotyped as a Farang

On the average I have more money than most Thais so I am stereotyped as being rich and greedy and a Cheap Charlie by the average Thai person.

I am also Stereotyped as being naïve and or stupid by Thai people because I am not Thai and therefore I am just another Dumb Farang and never capable of understanding Thai ways...so I am double stereotyped in their minds.

As a man I am stereotyped as being a whore monger because, according to the average Thai person, all I am here for is the women and sex so I am double stereotyped as a whore monger and a womanizer...before I even step off the plane.

I am also stereotyped as the exploiter of Thai people because I come here to use them and take everything and give nothing back.

And finally amongst other things....I am stereotyped as a trouble maker because the average Thai believes all the problems in Thailand can be attributed to the many foreigners coming here and creating the problems that currently exist....

Can not win, either way, no matter what...... I remain stereotyped and racially profiled by the Thais.....lol

Cheers

So you've never paid for cheap sex here?

Cheers

Haha, I think you have

Cheers

That's OK because Thais are as dense as a box of bricks and totally unable to understand sarcasm which means they would smile and nod at my 'simile', and of course, I'd grin and nod back in bemusement.

But I've got my Thai Stereotype hat on at the moment. Most times I just take each individual for what they are. I normally don't don my Thai Stereotype hat unless I'm stressed out or in heavy traffic, then I take my Thai Stereotype hat out of the glove compartment and don it enthusiastically. Most of what comes out of my mouth is sarcasm, so my wife sits in the passenger seat, smiles and nods.

Cheers

Admitting you paid for cheap sex in Thailand is a bit like admitting you masturbate. Imho, there are two types of guys:

Those who admit to occasionally spanking the monkey; and,

Those who lie.

I'm pretty sure that paying for cheap sex here in The Land of Smiles fits into the same category.

Of course, there are a religious few who will adamantly deny that they are sexual beings in any way, shape, or form. I may reserve judgment on a fraction of that particular group.

So, is the stereotype of male farangs being rather obsessed with sexual pursuits here in Thailand accurate? I think that particular shoe fits most Western guys, so wear it with pride dudes! thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Oh Yes..... plenty of it while I was actually more generous than so many others that treated the girls with disdain and gave them as little as they could get way with.... short of getting into fisty cuffs with the girls over the price because of their Cheap Charlie ways and small minded thinking.

Meantime...the point was and remains so.....You and all other foreigners ( and certainly at this point in time ) are considered as sex tourists and whore mongers and uncivilized womanizers before you even step off the plane.

You are stereotyped for that aspect whether you do or do not pay for cheap sex..as you put it......while I never thought of it as "cheap sex" rather I thought of it as a wonderful form of "Socializing and Male / Female interaction entertainment" made available to me by the Thai people ( Thank You Buddha...Thank You Thai Ways ) regardless if I am here or not to participate....while Thailand is just one of dozens of countries where sex is for sale...but Thailand has more of it and on offer by way of more varieties and more avenues of access than other countries...truth be told

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Ironically the ppl that know about stereotypes in it's entirety still stereotype others in their own way yet brag about them knowing the meaning of a word "stereotype".

Stereotyping

I think words like stereotypes came via institutions in the good ole U S of A.

They have huge social engineering research departments. A big part of it is a linguistics think tank. They can make people believe in the validity of a bogus concept by deviously inventing a new word and pretending it has come about naturally. You cant possibly pinpoint a certain individual as some typecast just because theyre similar to others.

Having read the OP diatribe my personal view is has a lot of time on his hands for these kind of rants possibly harried by some overbearing annoying spouse !!

Seems intellectual enough to become Unique Just like everyone else !!!

Just saying .

It ended up being very expensive, so i left,

they see stuff on TV and think it's real, it

leaves me speechless, they don't need to

go to school, they have television.

Cheers

That's OK because Thais are as dense as a box of bricks and totally unable to understand sarcasm which means they would smile and nod at my 'simile', and of course, I'd grin and nod back in bemusement.

But I've got my Thai Stereotype hat on at the moment. Most times I just take each individual for what they are. I normally don't don my Thai Stereotype hat unless I'm stressed out or in heavy traffic, then I take my Thai Stereotype hat out of the glove compartment and don it enthusiastically. Most of what comes out of my mouth is sarcasm, so my wife sits in the passenger seat, smiles and nods.

Being a Realist

I'm tarred with the same brush on each side of the world. Back in the UK labelled or conceived as some Pervo humping ladyboys whom to me are the pits. Other nasty innuendo being a forgone conclusion that's what expats do abroad.

In Thailand, a walking talking ATM looking to roger anything that moves .

I brought all this upon myself having 3 kids out of wedlock causing me hell on earth. Now Snorky is tucked safely away, in the past having no conscious or fear for retribution.

Fun at the time, but have many regrets but such is life. I'm ready to be led to the Gallows.

Just saying .....,

Cheers

Oh Yes..... plenty of it while I was actually more generous than so many others that treated the girls with disdain and gave them as little as they could get way with.... short of getting into fisty cuffs with the girls over the price because of their Cheap Charlie ways and small minded thinking.

Meantime...the point was and remains so.....You and all other foreigners ( and certainly at this point in time ) are considered as sex tourists and whore mongers and uncivilized womanizers before you even step off the plane.

You are stereotyped for that aspect whether you do or do not pay for cheap sex..as you put it......while I never thought of it as "cheap sex" rather I thought of it as a wonderful form of "Socializing and Male / Female interaction entertainment" made available to me by the Thai people ( Thank You Buddha...Thank You Thai Ways ) regardless if I am here or not to participate....while Thailand is just one of dozens of countries where sex is for sale...but Thailand has more of it and on offer by way of more varieties and more avenues of access than other countries...truth be told

Cheers

So what's wrong with their stereotyping then. You played into it anyway.

Cheers

Admitting you paid for cheap sex in Thailand is a bit like admitting you masturbate. Imho, there are two types of guys:

Those who admit to occasionally spanking the monkey; and,

Those who lie.

I'm pretty sure that paying for cheap sex here in The Land of Smiles fits into the same category.

Of course, there are a religious few who will adamantly deny that they are sexual beings in any way, shape, or form. I may reserve judgment on a fraction of that particular group.

So, is the stereotype of male farangs being rather obsessed with sexual pursuits here in Thailand accurate? I think that particular shoe fits most Western guys, so wear it with pride dudes! thumbsup.gif

With all the cheap sex in Thailand, why would anyone masturbate?

Cheers

Cheers

I do not care if they stereotype me but the point was and still is: You.... as in You ( who ever you be ) are also stereotyped by the Thais no matter what you do or do not do.

If you are a male ( I surmise you are ) you could be a priest for that matter....but the Thais still think of you as a sex tourist....amongst other things.... and if you really knew what they thought of you and their generalized stereotyping then you would gladly stereotype them right back.

Cheers

My own quote on this is: Religion makes good people bad and it DOESN'T make bad people good

Cheers

I do not care if they stereotype me but the point was and still is: You.... as in You ( who ever you be ) are also stereotyped by the Thais no matter what you do or do not do.

If you are a male ( I surmise you are ) you could be a priest for that matter....but the Thais still think of you as a sex tourist....amongst other things.... and if you really knew what they thought of you and their generalized stereotyping then you would gladly stereotype them right back.

Cheers

Yeah that's true.

Cheers

Cheers

Just a quick question. You mention that you are stereotyped as a farang but aren't you a farang? I just find it really odd for you to write it in such a manner where by it seems that you are not farang but just have farang facial features.

Cheers

Just a quick question. You mention that you are stereotyped as a farang but aren't you a farang? I just find it really odd for you to write it in such a manner where by it seems that you are not farang but just have farang facial features.

I am a Farang......or a Farung .....or a Falung ......depending how the name sounds when you speak the word verses how it sounds when the Thais use the word to describe all us Caucasians, being fair skinned or white skinned Anglo Saxon Protestant types or Catholics types of people having longer noses and oval faces with predominant chins and commonly having Blue or Bluish eyes ( but not always) and commonly light colored hair while usually we are pretty hairy all over our bodies along with variety of other features that separates us by way of our looks and features from the Asians and East Indians and Black Africans...and a number of other ethnic groups that the Thais also stereotype.

I think many people on Thai Visa know about the origins of the word Farang and its original meaning when the Thais first met the white skinned foreigners ...so they may be able to better explain the origins of the word.....but meantime ...I know I am referred to as a Farang by the Thais while I also use the word to refer to other white skinned foreigners when speaking Thai to the Thai people.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

When I was teaching, I tried to teach the word 'stereotype' and the associated concept. However, like the OP found it is just not a concept that the average Thai can get their head around. I think you need a western cultural background to understand the concept. It is not really how Thai people think.

I don't think its that Thai people do not understand stereotypes, its that its so hardwired here it is just life. Putting a word on it makes no sense as they assume it is just universal truth.