Couch Surfing – so much more than being a Cheap Charlie!

Inspire

post-245411-0-31100600-1462636783_thumb.

Thousands of travellers coming to Thailand each year couldn’t care less about the ever increasing cost of accommodation at the country’s leading tourist resorts.

No, they are not sleeping out or camping….they are members of a worldwide movement that continues to go from strength to strength.

Couch Surfing.

The name of the concept is rather apt. Basically couch surfers are people doing what travellers throughout the world have always done. They get recommendations from people about free places to stay.

But whereas in the past it was by word of mouth or staying with someone you actually met on your travels, now it is driven by the internet.

Tens of millions of people are now thought to wander the world, either on holidays or looking for work using couch surfing. One of the leading sites is couchsurfing.com.

Here it is simple and free to become a member. Then you can search for members who open up their homes in virtually every city and town on earth. People can contact hosts with specific requests or put out a group request to anyone in the city who might be suitable to help them.

Naturally many people reciprocate by offering their own homes for travellers to stay in for free, but there is actually no requirement that you have to be a host.

Many hosts find that it is a great way to meet people and make friends. The same is also true for those seeking accommodation who apart from getting a free couch for the night (or several nights) you might get to meet people both local and resident who you would not normally come across especially in hotels.

And it may not be just a couch either. Many people offer beautiful rooms in their houses all over the world. A quick search found that there are about 1,000 people in Chiang Mai and over 800 in Phuket offering free rooms.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/couch-surfing-much-cheap-charlie/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-05-07

Many of my friends have 1 bedroom apartments open for females between the ages of 18--40......they also agree with the benefits of this policy (of meeting new people for intellectual communication etc....and hope it continues to thrive )........................................wub.png

They don't even require that a couch at the Issan farm be available for them in return-----as that usually works out very expensive......

Before the Internet, people " who open up their homes in virtually every city and town on earth" to accommodate strangers would just hang out in public toilets, bus terminals, train stations, etc. They'd identify themselves by saying, "psst, wanna come stay with me?" Sometimes they'd even offer free sweets and a ride in their closed van.

Edited by Suradit69

i had some dealings with couch surfers in pattaya several years ago. i helped put on a party for them. they turned up and all the food and booze seemed to vanish almost immediately. we then went into walking street where 2 of them started fighting over who owed who 5 thb. was glad i did not have any of them staying at my pad.

With a retreating economy worldwide, combined with more and more overstays and illegal immigrants crossing borders everywhere, having strangers in your home is asking for problems.

Hmmmm....Is that a politically correct name for an alternative form of "Vagrancy"

VAGRANT

[vey-gruh nt]

noun

a person who wanders about idly and has no permanent home or employment; vagabond; tramp.

Law. an idle person without visible means of support, as a tramp or beggar.

a person who wanders from place to place; wanderer; rover.

wandering idly without a permanent home or employment; living in vagabondage:

vagrant beggars.

of, relating to, or characteristic of a vagrant:

the vagrant life.

adjective

wandering or roaming from place to place; nomadic.

(of plants) straggling in growth.

not fixed or settled, especially in course; moving hither and thither:

Edited by gemguy

I don't trust those people.You could be inviting A serial killer into your house.Or A child molester and you have kids in the house.They need to

Find A couple hundred baht and find A hostel/ guest house.Their not coming in my house.Also I would never crash into A strangers house.

"Many hosts find that it is a great way to meet people and make friends. The same is also true for those seeking accommodation who apart from getting a free couch for the night (or several nights) you might get to meet people both local and resident who you would not normally come across especially in hotels".

Jeffrey Dahmer and Fred West were very congenial hosts.

I used to be active on CS.Hosted few guys into my luxury villa in Brunei,looked aftee after them well providing free food and car rtc etc but unfortunately some were taking advantage and put me completely off.

I no longer host anyone.

It is possible that the couchsurfing idea has created a set of people these days who want to abuse it. I did it for two years but my last time was about 7 years ago. Then I had guests just about every week from all over the world. Young people, old people, couples, backpackers, intrepid explorers.

I never had any problems and gave freely my time and attention. I vetted carefully before I accepted them as guests and tried to establish what they wanted from their visit. When I went as guests to them, they gave me the same in return.

I tell a lie: I remember now a South Korean who did abuse my hospitality but this was an isolated case and did nothing affect my opinion of the idea.

If you let someone stay at your home you need to provide their passport information to Thai immigration. If not you risk getting into a legal problem.

Some of these people may be great but I would think many are undesirables. Why take the risk ?

i had some dealings with couch surfers in pattaya several years ago. i helped put on a party for them. they turned up and all the food and booze seemed to vanish almost immediately. we then went into walking street where 2 of them started fighting over who owed who 5 thb. was glad i did not have any of them staying at my pad.

yup agree, the site used to be great at its inception then it became infested with people trying to take advantage of gullible hosts, I hosted twice and got into a lot of troubles, the site used to have a meetup event where most guys turn up looking for some sex mates, however couchsurfing works great in expensive cities like (NY, Tokyo, London etc..) where accommodation is very expensive, of course not for free as many hosts are looking for solo females or gay surfers in exchange for ahem..

Edited by marcofunny