Sanders nets 31 delegates in Washington, but loses in Guam

rooster59

Sanders nets 31 delegates in Washington, but loses in Guam

HOPE YEN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has cut into Hillary Clinton's lead by more than two dozen delegates, based on new data from Washington state, but his chances of winning the nomination haven't gotten much better. Clinton won the Guam caucus.

In Guam, the party said Clinton won 60 percent of the vote to earn four of the seven delegates at stake. Sanders will pick up three delegates.

The Pacific island is one of five U.S. territories that casts votes in primaries and caucuses to decide the nominee, even though those residents aren't eligible to vote in November. Often overlooked, Guam this election cycle drew attention from both the presidential candidates, who ran radio advertisements in a bid to scoop up any possible delegate in the final stretch of primaries and caucuses.

Combined with some delegate gains in Washington state, Clinton now has more than 93 percent of the 2,383 delegates needed to clinch the nomination as she seeks to look ahead to a November matchup against Republican Donald Trump. Sanders has said he will take his delegate fight to the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia in July.

In Washington state, Sanders handily won the caucus on March 26, when the Vermont senator won 25 of the 34 delegates awarded that day. An additional 67 district-level delegates could not be divided up until the state party could produce vote data broken down by congressional district.

District-level data provided Saturday to The Associated Press show that Sanders will pick up 49 of those delegates, while Clinton will receive 18.

The 67 district-level delegates from Washington had generated some debate on social media, where Sanders supporters questioned why he had not yet received any of those delegates in a state he won big. Like Iowa, Colorado and Maine, Washington state has a multistep process for awarding delegates to the national convention. It said it could not immediately generate the more detailed information until its county conventions were complete on May 1.

Meanwhile, at Maine's state convention on Saturday, party officials said Sanders ultimately gained one additional delegate — and Clinton lost one — after he picked up additional support following the state's March 6 caucus.

Still, even with the additional delegates for Sanders, his mathematical chances of winning the nomination haven't improved.

Based on primaries and caucuses to date, Clinton now has 1,705 delegates while Sanders has 1,415 — or a lead of 290 delegates, according to the AP count.

If he hopes to overtake her based on just those primary and caucus delegates, he still must win 66 percent of the remaining delegates — a figure unchanged from before.

Clinton's lead is bigger when including superdelegates — party officials who can support any candidate.

She now has a total of 2,228 delegates, or more than 93 percent of the 2,383 delegates needed to win. Sanders has 1,454.

Just 155 delegates short, Clinton remains on track to clinch the nomination early next month.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-08

Wow, little Guam is in the news for delegate count. There's still Washington D.C., but the biggest glob on the horizon is California. I voted already for Bernie in the California dust-up. I just got an Email from Bernie saying HRC is now trying to tap into Bush's mega bucks machine - to try and get some of Bush's millionaire donors to shovel money into her carpet bag, in order to defeat The Pie Hole Spouting Hate and Divisiveness.

Wow, little Guam is in the news for delegate count. There's still Washington D.C., but the biggest glob on the horizon is California. I voted already for Bernie in the California dust-up. I just got an Email from Bernie saying HRC is now trying to tap into Bush's mega bucks machine - to try and get some of Bush's millionaire donors to shovel money into her carpet bag, in order to defeat The Pie Hole Spouting Hate and Divisiveness.

If Bernie takes California, it could make the difference for him.

I think he will do it.

I too have already voted for him in the California primary.

Main just eliminated Super Delegates and other states my follow suit.

We need more choice than just Bad ( Hillary ) and Worse ( Trump )

California could save the world.

I think he will do it.

Given recent poll results, it seems unlikely Bernie can overtake Hilary, or even catch up as HRC is increasing her lead.

CA has 475 delegates, Hilary needs only 154 to to clinch the nomination, meaning that Hilary could lose big in CA and still pick up enough delegates to win.

I too like Bernie and believe he would make a good president, but the delegate math just isn't going to allow that to happen.

post-122487-0-08544300-1462683961_thumb.

Damn mopar, for once the Donald said something right. Either both parties implode and there are great changes in both the party system and the rigged voting and primary system, the only "voter fraud" is voter suppression by the Republicans, or America will finish becoming a 3rd world plutocratic police state fascist country. Or open violent rebellion. BTW, my SS Camaro would beat your mopar...lol. Damn I hated them, caused me lots of grief back in the 60's...lol. Thanks.

I think he will do it.

Given recent poll results, it seems unlikely Bernie can overtake Hilary, or even catch up as HRC is increasing her lead.

CA has 475 delegates, Hilary needs only 154 to to clinch the nomination, meaning that Hilary could lose big in CA and still pick up enough delegates to win.

I too like Bernie and believe he would make a good president, but the delegate math just isn't going to allow that to happen.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

super delegates don't get counted until the convention. There is a vote and the winner if having 50% plus one wins. This is unless Hillary can reach the magic number without the super delegates, which she can't ! Bernie is not finished yet and may still pull the rabbit out of the hat. Go Bernie !!!

If Bernie can get 70 % of the California delegates that will reduce Hillary's lead by around 180. Washington was 30 and there are still many states to go. This race is not over yet. And if Bernie gets more delegates than Hillary going into the convention there will be hell to pay if the super delegates don't change their thinking and vote for Bernie.

Guam folks can't vote but can deliver delegates. Boggles the non-american mind.

Guam is a territory of the United States and in the instance of Guam its residents are citizens who have the Constitutional right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, the right to freedom of speech, and the rights to equal protection and due process.

However, as an unincorporated Territory of the US, Guam citizens do not vote in USA elections. Guam residents vote their own governor, other territorial officials, a territorial legislature and Guam has a territorial judiciary. The Republican Party Governor of Guam, Eddie Calvo is moving a medical use of marijuana law through the legislature supported by the Republican Party elected attorney general of Guam. Guam is included in the US Nineth Judicial Circuit based in San Francisco.

Guam will vote in November on whether to request statehood which is determined by the Congress and Potus under the Territorial Clause of the US Constitution Article IV Section 3 Clause I and related laws and Scotus rulings over time. A large majority approval is expected.

However, with only 170,000 residents and its remote location, Guam has no possibility of being admitted as a state which would also grant it two US Senators. Guam elects one non-voting delegate to the US House of Representatives.

37 states were formerly US territories. (Puerto Rico is a self-governing Commonwealth of the United States which places it one step away from statehood, i.e., making the application if it ever does make one.) Each US major political party has long been organised and functioning on Guam, hence voting delegates to the national conventions.

Edited by Publicus

Bernie loses in Guam by 4:3 and this is a headline? They can't even vote.

I voted for Bernie, too. We think we can, we think we can . . .

What I find disconcerting is the ballot you posted. Is it real? Rumor has it that to vote, you must be an American citizen and to be an American citizen you must be able to read, write and speak English.

Makes me wonder just how strong Clinton's Hispanic support would be if all voting was done in English only. whistling.gif

Bernie loses in Guam by 4:3 and this is a headline? They can't even vote.

I voted for Bernie, too. We think we can, we think we can . . .

What I find disconcerting is the ballot you posted. Is it real? Rumor has it that to vote, you must be an American citizen and to be an American citizen you must be able to read, write and speak English.

Makes me wonder just how strong Clinton's Hispanic support would be if all voting was done in English only. whistling.gif

That is a primary ballot from California. It's real. Nuff said.