Two men charged with attempted murder as Belgian slashed trying to help Thai woman

webfact

Two men charged with attempted murder as Belgian slashed trying to help Thai woman

kl.jpg
Featured image: Koh Lipe (source Internet)

SATUN:-- Police have arrested two men on attempted murder charges after they allegedly attacked a Belgian diving instructor who went to a girl's rescue.

Peter Wenden Ebley (name transliterated), 28, was stabbed twice in the stomach after he intervened in an argument between a Thai man and his wife, reports Thairath.

The incident happened on the idyllic Andaman sea island of Koh Lipe in Satun province of Thailand's far south.

Thiradech Ratanawijitr of Satun police was alerted by medics at a downtown Satun clinic that a man had serious knife wounds. The Belgian man was taken to hospital after that and is now out of danger.

Police learnt that Mr Ebley was walking on the road believed to be behind the Castaway Resort on the east of the island when he witnessed a man now known as Sarawut Nartma, 28, arguing with his wife. He went to help her but the Thai man was enraged and a fist fight developed.

Then Sarawut's elder brother Adirek Nartma, 30, joined the argument. Police say that Sarawut used a knife on the Belgian man before the brothers ran off.

Later two arrests were made on Koh Lipe with two brothers being charged with attempted murder and carrying a concealed knife.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-09

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admirable, but getting in the mix between Thai man and wife is a BIG no no. Glad he's pulling through. Lucky to be alive.

Actually this is not specifically Thai.. domestics between lovers are always a police officers worst nightmare anywhere in the world as both can turn on the officer. So I can only extrapolate that this means that interfering in domestic disturbances is dangerous for everyone and all over the world.. not a specific Thai thing.

Unless the Belgian guy was the reason of the argument, he should never get involved really.

For one, without full understanding of the language one cant even be sure they threaten to kill one another, or fight because forgot to buy egg on the market.

Hate to say this ... but The dude should have not tried to help... walk away...safe.

What if it was your wife that was being given grief....?

Huh ?? Transam did you read the article and understand what this is about.... you ask " what if it was your wife". Presumably if it was then you would be the one giving her the grief and then through a process of elimination it could be a touch difficult for you the perpetrator to come to your wifes aide....

Flippancy aside.... the days of riding in on domestic disputes here in Thailand like some chivalrous knight in shining armour are fraught with significant danger unless one is wearing said armour...... sad fact and indeed not a great comment about society but in all things personal safety and protection comes first .

Silly from the Belgian for getting involved.

Last week nothing but condemnation of Thai's for not getting involved in the beat down of three British Subjects...Yup, nothing but double standards to be found here in the ex-pat community that's for sure.

Hey, folks need help no matter who they are when the circumstances dictate help required.

Yes, unless her life was in danger I'd not intervene either. Hope the guy recovers and the culprits are dealt with accordingly. I highly doubt the'd see any jail time over this though.

Yes, and you'd determine that just how? Life in danger eh? The husband cut the Belgian man through and through, ya think she was in danger perhaps?

I've seen it happen a few times. And every time I walked away in guilt and shame. But what could I do... as a farang making those men lose that much face, I could possibly even die getting involved in such a scenario.

I've seen it happen a few times. And every time I walked away in guilt and shame. But what could I do... as a farang making those men lose that much face, I could possibly even die getting involved in such a scenario.

Sad, but true. And i suspect that if you're handy with your fists, and hurt the husband, you'll have the wife at you with a steel bar. This isn't just a Thai story, it applies anywhere in the world.

Last week nothing but condemnation of Thai's for not getting involved in the beat down of three British Subjects...Yup, nothing but double standards to be found here in the ex-pat community that's for sure.

Hey, folks need help no matter who they are when the circumstances dictate help required.

I wouldn't have got involved with the Brits either.

Hate to say this ... but The dude should have not tried to help... walk away...safe.

What if it was your wife that was being given grief....?

or daughter!

Because they were arguing? Have you never heard a daughter argue?

Not just in a foreign country in you own country two. Twice we intervened in the UK. First occasion 4 of us were walking by the entrance of a long alleyway that led to a small courtyard late evening. We heard several loud female screams. People ignored it, some even quickened their pace away, but we couldn't. We went to see and found a teenage courting couple. I asked her if she was o k and she told us to fxxx off. Second occasion walking through the city center in the early hours after working with a mate at a night club. Saw an apparent drunk arguing with his wife/gf and after some pulling and shoving he landed her one and knocked her down. We went over, he turned nasty and my mate clobbered him. The woman got up swearing like mad at us and lashing out with her stiletto high heels in each hand.

My advice, call the police. Report it. Walk away. Leave it to those whose job it is. I understand why police officers hate domestics.

I highly doubt the'd see any jail time over this though.

Based on what, exactly? Do you think no-one in Thailand goes to jail for attempted murder? Unless they're rich of course, but no mention of that in the report.

Believe it or not, some very rich Thais have served time in jail.

Although some do evade it, it is not an automatic 'get out of jail card' being wealthy.

Wow.

I agree with everyone.

1. Get involved, help the lady.

2. Don't get involved. Let the Thai kill themselves.

3. Call the police. Hope they speak English.

4. Take your phone out and video the events.

5. Get a friend and make a bet.

6. Buy popcorn, sit down and enjoy the show.

7. Throw another knife in and give the wife a chance.

8. Bring the kids, and let them observe what not to do.

9. Ask the Thai man for a match to start a BBQ

10. CALL his mom, and the wife's father to replicate the sons action onto his mother.

I wouldn't have got involved with the Brits either.

I simply could not have lived with the guilt of walking past the Hua Hin attack, but Thai on Thai, leave them to it. As said earlier, they could be arguing about something one of them forgot to buy.

Its tough to try and help a woman who is in a beatdown relationship, but refuses to leave the guy who is beating on her. The real loser is the one who tries to do the right thing (help) and ends up seriously injured or even brown bread

Admirable, but getting in the mix between Thai man and wife is a BIG no no. Glad he's pulling through. Lucky to be alive.

I'm on the fence about this. Yes thais are know to flip out on the women. But when you watch the video of the brits kicked to crap everybody is just watching as more join in the beatings. We don't know what caused the fight or what was going e.g. was he punching her in the face or just flinging insults. Perhaps he thought she was in danger of a face kick. Just a thought.

No not silly, he is a Belg and is what they are known for get tthemself involved before analyzing what they're getting into, that is how Belgie became Belgie after it had been the RC province Vlaanderen for donkey's ages. History, that is why it is so important that people understand HISTORY. Unfortunately most people are not interested in history because they think live is ahead but as the age old saying says, " He who disregard history will commit same mistakes over and over again".

LOL in LOS

The nice Belgium man may want to consider relocating to another part of the country...or another country...don't see these two criminal creatures giving up the fight after being released...

Archived