Non-B to Non-O without leaving Thailand?

I've been trying to research this scenario but have conflicting information, hence I'd like to put it to the learned citizens of Thaivisa-land...

My BOI work permit of 8 years is to be cancelled tomorrow and along with it my Non-B visa. At this point I would like to move to a Non-O visa based on marriage. Work has told me I'm unable to do this at the One Stop Service center, and would need to go to immigration at Chaengwattana.

My question is this... Once the Non-B is cancelled out, can I then go straight to Chaengwattana and apply for the Non-O based on marriage (I have all the paperwork), OR do I have to leave the country and apply for the Non-O from outside Thailand?

As mentioned, I've been seeing conflicting reports. Does anyone have recent experience of this type of scenario?

One more thing: if I really do have 6 days to get out of dodge after the Non-B is cancelled (thanks Thailand!), where is the best embassy nearby to apply for the Non-O based on marriage?

Any help/ideas/anecdotes are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Leb0wsk1

Suspect you have an extension of stay not a "visa"

Some offices will agree to change the reason for an extension ( work to marriage) but others insist on a new single entry "O" visa being obtained from outside Thailand.

You should check with Chaengwattana immigration.

• If you can meet the requirements for an extension of stay based on marriage you should be able to change the reason for your extension tomorrow.

If you want a new single entry non 'O' visa then Vientiane or Savannakhet, Laos or Penang, Malaysia are recommended.

@johnatong: apologies, you are quite right, I do indeed have an extension of stay. Renewed every two years for another two at the One Stop Service center.

@elviajero: You mean accompany the messenger tomorrow to the One Stop Service Center and request I change the reason there and then (instead of them just cancelling)? That would certainly make life a lot easier and avoid a rushed trip out of The Kingdom.

@johnatong: apologies, you are quite right, I do indeed have an extension of stay. Renewed every two years for another two at the One Stop Service center.

@elviajero: You mean accompany the messenger tomorrow to the One Stop Service Center and request I change the reason there and then (instead of them just cancelling)? That would certainly make life a lot easier and avoid a rushed trip out of The Kingdom.

I do not think you will be able to apply for an extension based on marriage at the 1 stop.

You will need (I believe) to go to Chaengwattana immigration.

Edited by johnatong

Yeah, work told me 1 stop would be unlikely to help. My dilemma is that once I get my passport back from the 1 stop the extension of stay will have already been cancelled.

Do you think that would be an issue if I then turn up at Chaengwattana the next day asking for them to change the reason for extension on an already cancelled stamp?

I think if the extension is still valid, you can change the extension reason without the need for a new visa if you have a non-immigrant visa already. You just need to submit all of the normal paperwork for an extension for having a thai spouse

I know someone who was on retirement extension, and at renewal time switched to marriage extension. different paperwork requirements, but it got done.

If they do not allow you to change the extension reason, you must get a new visa and start over.

Penang, Malaysia, Savannakhet or Vientiane, Laos for Single Entry Non-O. Multiple entry non-O, Penang or Savannakhet (not sure about Vientiane)

edit: this shows the importance of using the most robust extension reason available. I tell everyone who qualifies for more than one visa/extension reason to use the one that give max flexibility. In your case and the case of anyone who qualifies for a visa for work and they also have thai family....use the one for visiting thai family 99% of the time. I'm sure you'll know for your next job in thailand if you get one.

Edited by 4evermaat

Interesting, thanks for the input. In this case I believe the messenger will be visiting the 1 stop and getting both WP and extension of stay cancelled at the same time.

Sounds like I should ask them to hold off for a day or two so I can get to Chaengwattana and see if I can get the reason for the extension changed before it becomes invalid.

Interesting, thanks for the input. In this case I believe the messenger will be visiting the 1 stop and getting both WP and extension of stay cancelled at the same time.

Sounds like I should ask them to hold off for a day or two so I can get to Chaengwattana and see if I can get the reason for the extension changed before it becomes invalid.

Your current extension has to be cancelled prior to applying for a new extension based upon marriage.

If the termination letter has a later date than when they go to immigration they will post date the cancellation to that date. Then you could go to CW to apply for the new one on or before that date,

Bit confused now then. One person thinks I can change the reason for extension is Chaengwattana as long as the existing one *is still valid*, another states it needs to be *cancelled* prior to changing/renewing it.

Also I don't have a termination letter, having left my last job on my own accord.

Phew! Arranging my own visa is a minefield located in a paradox wrapped in an enigma and sprinkled with sticks of dynamite.

Bit confused now then. One person thinks I can change the reason for extension is Chaengwattana as long as the existing one *is still valid*, another states it needs to be *cancelled* prior to changing/renewing it.

Also I don't have a termination letter, having left my last job on my own accord.

Phew! Arranging my own visa is a minefield located in a paradox wrapped in an enigma and sprinkled with sticks of dynamite.

If your current extension is still valid it has to be cancelled in order to apply for a new (different type) extension. That is so that the new extension can start from the date it is cancelled without that a new extension would not be possible. For example when applying for a renewal of an existing extension it starts from the date the existing one ends.

It does not need to be a termination letter. It can just be a letter stating the date you are no longer employed.

• Like 1

I advise you get a 7 day extension (1900 Baht) as soon as they cancel your visa. Then you have some breathing space to get over to Chaengwattana to apply for the Non-O visa. Specifically in my passport, there is a big cancelled stamp across my Non-B and on the next page a stamp that says "The holder of this passport has terminated ......referring to my B-visa.... and must leaves the Kingdom within...the date 7 days...". I then went to Chaengwattana a few days later for my Non-O visa. It took all day but I also got multiple re-entry stamp. My old employer held my hand through the process fyi.

Edited by RBOP

I advise you get a 7 day extension (1900 Baht) as soon as they cancel your visa. Then you have some breathing space to get over to Chaengwattana to apply for the Non-O visa. Specifically in my passport, there is a big cancelled stamp across my Non-B and on the next page a stamp that says "The holder of this passport has terminated ......referring to my B-visa.... and must leaves the Kingdom within...the date 7 days...". I then went to Chaengwattana a few days later for my Non-O visa. It took all day but I also got multiple re-entry stamp. My old employer held my hand through the process fyi.

Visas are not cancelled only extensions of stay are canceled. You had an extension not a visa.

If the date on a letter is after the date it is taken to immigration they will post date the cancellation that would allow more time to apply for the new extension.

Not sure what the current citation is at CW is but they have have refused to accept extension applications during the 7 day to leave period.

Visas are not cancelled only extensions of stay are canceled. You had an extension not a visa.

If the date on a letter is after the date it is taken to immigration they will post date the cancellation that would allow more time to apply for the new extension.

Not sure what the current citation is at CW is but they have have refused to accept extension applications during the 7 day to leave period.

Its just semantics (visa / extension). Yes, I got my Non-O visa/extension at CW while on my 7 day stamp this past January and gone in for 1 90 day report already.