"Public" parking Patong beach road

Trujillo

I would like to ask Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana: Who are the people renting motorbikes/cars and taxis paying to take over the public parking along the Patong beach road -- on both the beach side and the sidewalk side. And why is it tolerated in this time of "renewed happiness"?

Driving my own car there I was not able to find any parking since all the slots are taken permanently by these people.

In fact, one of the small taxi vans told a friend of mine that if he parked in the public parking spot by the sidewalk, he would "come back and (find) your tires cut."

A Thai told me there that after the assumption of power by the existing leader(s), the situation was totally cleaned up, but soon after things returned to "normal." I realize that this situation has been going on for many years, but it does nothing to endear tourists when they seen blatant evidence of gangs and lawbreakers every time they go to the beach.

Long time problem. All cleared out by the Tsunami but after a few months these rentors all drifted back in again. I can usually park my car on the outer sides of the touts but I know where to go.

Edited by LivinginKata

Mayor Somjai has nothing to do with Patong. She's the mayor of Phuket Town.

Chalermluck Kebsup is the mayor of Patong. She's the one you should be asking.

The majority of the car parking spaces on the beach side of the road are permanently occupied by rental cars waiting to be rented out. They consider these public parking spaces to be exclusively their place of business.

Motorbike parking on the beach side is a little better. As with the rental cars, there are a lot of "for rent" motorbikes parked there (with whole rows of them chained up for safekeeping overnight). One thing that DID improve during the past couple of years is that the rental guys are no longer permitted to setup tables, chairs and umbrellas in the parking spaces as their "office", and they no longer hassle the public for parking motorbikes in the same area.

The other side of the road is pretty much for the exclusive use of the tuktuk and taxi mafia. Technically wherever the curb is painted yellow and white, tuktuks and taxis have the legal right to exclusive use, but they consider the whole length of the road to be their domain. Parking anywhere on that side of the road is not recommended (as you were told).

Anyone who lives here knows why this is tolerated. The army made a feeble attempt to clean this up, but that lasted only a very short time. Threats of physical violence and kickbacks employed by the criminal element here can be powerful persuaders.

The parking situation is just one of many issues, such as "no jetskis parked on the beach", "only 10% of the beach to be used by vendors", "no motorbike parking on the beach footpath" and "no riding motorbikes on the beach footpath". These regulations are announced as lip service, without any intention of enforcement.

The only thing that seems to get the attention of government officials in Thailand is publicly exposing corruption, dereliction of duty, criminal activity and the lack of law enforcement in social media in the markets to which TAT is promoting tourism. Note that due to defamation laws, this cannot be done within Thailand or on Thai websites.

Because concessions are given to the established phuket families.. Phuket families who registered there have the right to vote.. Those networks get blocks of votes and mayors in power..

Simples.

Without saying too much, it didn't seem to go that way in the last Patong mayoral election, in which Pian lost to Chalermluck.

I had hoped that with Pian gone things would improve in Patong- unfortunately it seems the opposite has happened. I rarely go in now and park in Jungceylon- the only place I feel the vehicle is safe from damage. Not much use at night though.

In theory everyone has the right to park on the public highway (where permitted) but just you try- I also find it annoying when people put chairs outside their shops to stop people from parking. Try it and your vehicle will be keyed. I have counted up to 60 empty tuk tuks parked along Beach Road before- they add to the congestion and serve no purpose. there was talk of them being moved to a central holding area and called forward but it never panned out.

The new mayor is noticeable by her silence compared to Pian- the only significant thing achieved is development of family land along the coast road from Kalim to Kamala, blocked by previous mayors. Its all about what you can take whilst in the position.

I had hoped that with Pian gone things would improve in Patong- unfortunately it seems the opposite has happened. I rarely go in now and park in Jungceylon- the only place I feel the vehicle is safe from damage. Not much use at night though.

In theory everyone has the right to park on the public highway (where permitted) but just you try- I also find it annoying when people put chairs outside their shops to stop people from parking. Try it and your vehicle will be keyed. I have counted up to 60 empty tuk tuks parked along Beach Road before- they add to the congestion and serve no purpose. there was talk of them being moved to a central holding area and called forward but it never panned out.

The new mayor is noticeable by her silence compared to Pian- the only significant thing achieved is development of family land along the coast road from Kalim to Kamala, blocked by previous mayors. Its all about what you can take whilst in the position.

Just one Patong family dynasty taking over from another Patong dynasty. Nothing changes except who gets the bigger cut of the backhanders ...

Edited by LivinginKata

I did notice new-looking signs on the beach warning of a 5,000 baht fine for driving motorbikes on the inside beach walking path -- and see scads of locals doing just that. I bet if a white boy tried that something would happen.

The parking situation is interesting in that it is totally in the faces of the tourists. It's like openly encouraging pickpockets. It's shameless behavior.

I too drank the kool aid thinking that things would get better with Pian out. I even got overly optimistic when the Arny came in and cracked down for a brief period of time. No hassles with parking, no surly looks from the local vermin, but alas, things are back to the status quo. It sure was nice when the local louts went into hiding for a couple of months after mass driver arrests.

I did notice new-looking signs on the beach warning of a 5,000 baht fine for driving motorbikes on the inside beach walking path -- and see scads of locals doing just that. I bet if a white boy tried that something would happen.

The parking situation is interesting in that it is totally in the faces of the tourists. It's like openly encouraging pickpockets. It's shameless behavior.

About 15+ years ago I tried to ride my m/bike along the sand. Local beach boys stopped, not allowed, but plenty of local Thais riding all sorts of vehicles along the sand .... oh well ... no point even trying talk to them

Park in the basement car park at Banana Walk on the beach road, you get a free hour and if you eat if you get your ticket stamped by any of the businesses there you get three hours.

James

SHHHH ush...

Don't tell everybdy thats my Secret spot....

God nice clean and free Bathrooms too use upstairs as well.....

Cheers