Property In Pattaya

BIGTOE3

That has to be one of ugliest building I have ever seen! :o

How can the city let them build it? Don’t they have the architectural control committee at the city’s building and planning dept? It’s so bad for the city aesthetic image!

I couldn't agree more. Then add washing hingledingelling!

Hopefully, excreta is being properly dealt with.

[Yes, good location. Also, enough of the units are being sold as "empty shells". Nice if you are away while the workers is making it up for you.My guess, it's 5-7 years of banging and jack hammering. In dawn. You never know how long u can sleep. They determine that. For many years to come.

You're very trusting. In my experience workers need to be watched every minute.

Give VT its due - starting whistle is at 7.30 am. And have heard that workmen doing finishing are out at 5 pm so evenings are quiet.

Maybe when they get a management committee organised residents won't be allowed to hang washing on balconies. :o

Oh, forgot to say...

People living on the high floors once appauded when the lift came to the ground. 15-20 mins to get up or down is a daily routine. If you forgot something from the grocery, you may leave the need wait the next day or week.

That's true. I visit a friend in a VT and after the first couple of times learned to take the stairs. But first time I used the stairs to go down didn't know which door to use to get out into hall, opened one of the doors and found a drop of quite a few feet. Could have had a nasty injury!

That has to be one of ugliest building I have ever seen! :o

How can the city let them build it? Don’t they have the architectural control committee at the city’s building and planning dept? It’s so bad for the city aesthetic image!

This actually will be the first attempt by View Talay to build something other than rectangular cereal boxes of the past. It will be Y-shaped with an underground parking garage. There will be an additional lift which should help with long waits during busy hours.

Well by putting 3 cereal boxes together in diff angles still doesn’t make it right and pleasing, sorry it’s still a meaningless collection of aesthetic babbles to me. I’m an art lover and believe this seriously shows a lack of creativity and a total ripped off for what you get for your money! But ofcourse I'm not buying it and art's beauty is only in the eyes of the beholders.

[Yes, good location. Also, enough of the units are being sold as "empty shells". Nice if you are away while the workers is making it up for you.My guess, it's 5-7 years of banging and jack hammering. In dawn. You never know how long u can sleep. They determine that. For many years to come.

Give VT its due - starting whistle is at 7.30 am. And have heard that workmen doing finishing are out at 5 pm so evenings are quiet.

Maybe when they get a management committee organised residents won't be allowed to hang washing on balconies. :o

Thats got to be the best joke of 2006 on this forum.

Way to go mate, you tell em

:D:D:D

BTW building work will go on as long as the builder can get away with it at night.

At best tradesmen in pattaya, will turn up with a bent screw driver and a hammer.

to do the work. so it may take some time for the banging to stop.

have a nice day with the residents committee. laugh.

BTW building work will go on as long as the builder can get away with it at night.

At best tradesmen in pattaya, will turn up with a bent screw driver and a hammer.

What part of my post was a joke?

Reno work in condo I am in starts at 9am and finishes at 5pm. No work allowed on weekends and public holidays. And because tradesmen are not good -as you say turn up with a bent screwdriver and a hammer - they need to be watched. Of course you'll get dirty looks and hear lots of the word 'farang' but you will make sure walls are perpendicular, tiles are properly laid with not toooo many chips, electrics are safe and plugs are where YOU want them, paint is the quality you specified but be careful, they put rubbish paint in Jotun containers. And so on. One thing you won't be able to change is the Thai belief that every door, even the lightest one, needs 4 hinges.

And what's your problem with Residents' Committees?

Condo I am in does not allow washing to be seen on the balconies.

Reno work in condo I am in starts at 9am and finishes at 5pm. No work allowed on weekends and public holidays. And because tradesmen are not good -as you say turn up with a bent screwdriver and a hammer - they need to be watched. Of course you'll get dirty looks and hear lots of the word 'farang' but you will make sure walls are perpendicular, tiles are properly laid with not toooo many chips, electrics are safe and plugs are where YOU want them, paint is the quality you specified but be careful, they put rubbish paint in Jotun containers. And so on. One thing you won't be able to change is the Thai belief that every door, even the lightest one, needs 4 hinges.

Are you trying to get me to believe you have some influence over

the way a codo building is run.?

Look mate the Thais own the majority of the units and they will do as they wish, with or with out you.

That’s what the joke bit of your post was that I found amusing.

BTW I moved out of the Uk to get away from snobs shame they are coming to pattya.

Hope this is not a up would trend.

Have a nice day.

Look mate the Thais own the majority of the units and they will do as they wish, with or with out you.

BTW I moved out of the Uk to get away from snobs shame they are coming to pattya.

Have a nice day.

Apparently you've had some bad experiences with your condo buildings but the subject is specifically View Talay and I can say with confidence that they enforce the construction hour rules. There are strong Residence Committees who enforce the rules and there others who don't seem to care. Get involved, concerned and active residents can get results.

Have a nice day.

Yes, I am happy to say that I and the other farangs do have influence in our condo.

Yes, Thais do own majority of units and are interested in the upkeep.

Some weeks ago there was a very good post from a farang who is on the Management Committee of the condo he is in. I will try to find it for you so that you can see that there are well run condos - well run with the help of the farang co-owners.

It has been my observation over the past 20 years that if a condo is badly run and the upkeep is terrible it is the fault of the manager not managing. Therefore, it is very important that the farang co-owners (Thai co-owners are usually not resident) keep the manager on his toes. And you have to attend the AGM, and you have to attend, or at least read, the Minutes of the Management Committee meetings. And you have to inform the Management Committee and/or manager of everything you see wrong. You have to be active. You do have rights.

Which Snob Hill did you live on in UK? Where did you live before that? Seems you missed the washing fluttering from a working class tenement building. Now, before you get your knickers in a twist, I have nothing against the working class being such myself but we had a line at the back of the cottage. I just see no need to have to look at other people's knickers, etc, dangling from balconies. Laundering is so available and soooo cheap here in Pattaya.

They are still saying in the sales office finish end of next year 2007...

Where is the VT sales office now? I thought it was in front of VT2, but I see that building has been torn down.

If there are different sales offices for the various VT projects, I would be interested in the sales office(s) for VT5 and VT7.

Where is the VT sales office now? I thought it was in front of VT2, but I see that building has been torn down.

If there are different sales offices for the various VT projects, I would be interested in the sales office(s) for VT5 and VT7.

VT has taken down a cereal box? Good.

There is a new condo project to be started soon down near to the Mecure hotel soi 15 off Pattaya 2nd road, buy off plan and you get a good price. They have cleared the land have built the sales office

I think with any condo you should get a high floor just in case they build any thing else close to it, as has happened with Center Condo, they have just started building a multi story car park between the condo and the temple

Dear Icecubes,

Please read below.

QUOTE(sattahip @ 2006-09-03 10:20:23)

I am sorry to be brutally frank but most of the replies above are of no real value.

You can establish the quality of condo management ;

1. Ask to see the most recent audited accounts of the condominium juristic person. That is the association in Thai law which owns the structure. These accounts should be audited, though with accounting standards such as they are in Thailand, this is no absolute guarantee of accuracy. In any building catering well to expatriate owners there will be an English language copy. Use your common sense to review income and outgo, accumulated net worth, presence of reserve funds etc. Ask to see a list detailing maintenance arrears. Be careful if the developer is the major creditor or arrears are substantial/chronic.

2. Ask for a copy of the minutes of the most recent Annual General Meeting. As with the accounts, any well managed building will have these in English translation. Review this to see if key issues like financial viability, management quality, maintenance planning and the like are discussed. See also how election of board is conducted, if it is!. Many condominiums here are autocratically run by the developers as a cash cow with no real ownership input/control.

3. Ask for a copy of the insurance policy covering the building. This will likely be in Thai but check with your lawyer what is covered,who is the beneficiary, for how much and with whom. Often insurance is completely inadequate, covers only fire and is with a company even for major buildings no-one has ever heard of. Strangely such companies often pay brokerage of some substance to the "manager" which should not be done for obvious reasons re independent assessment. Thailand has many reputable brokers in Bangkok who can arrange the right policy with the financially capable insurers plus advise on coverage amount which will increase over time to cover replacement costs. Check there is 3rd party insurance also though this will be rare. Good insurance companies will also offer staff fire training.

4 See a utility bill for a condo and check the unit costs of electricity and water against those an independent householder would pay. These items should not be a "profit centre" for management.

5. Ask for a copy of the association,s land deed which of course should be in its name (e.g. "name of condo" Juristic Association). In many cases the association will own only the footprint of the building and you can have a fun park or shophouses next year on what you thought were your clubhouse grounds or gardens. This is common. One building mentioned above as an exemplar has allocated only 2.5 rai(about an acre) for its new 33 storey twin tower. Now tell me that makes sense!

6. Walk down the fire stairs as you leave. A sign of good management is that these will be completely clear, properly emergency lit etc. Check the maintenance plate in the elevators. Is the manufacturer the maintaining coy? Shoddy lift maintenance is a time bomb. Again commonsense viewing will give you an idea of overall tidiness and housekeeping quality.

All this is a bit long but based on experience. I am the Treasurer of my condominium which is, I believe, capably run by the owners. We employ our own manager and security and cleaning staff and have had most of them with us since opening 12 years ago.

We are about, with a consulting engineers assistance, to commence a full refurbishment programme which will run to millions of baht. We can face this because our owners take a real interest in the building (75%+ attended the last two AGMs) and are willing to fund transparent running and extraordinary expenses.

So any questions or brickbats- I'm ready.

The sales office is in front of view talay 2,

as has happened with Center Condo, they have just started building a multi story car park between the condo and the temple

Tufty where exactly are they building this multistorey carpark ? doesn't look like there's much room between the condo and the temple grounds.

post-2109-1164807566_thumb.jpg

It was 26th of December last year.

What a lovely wake up in Pattaya with jack-hummers and power drills in dawn.

Dear Icecubes,

Please read below.

QUOTE(sattahip @ 2006-09-03 10:20:23)

I am sorry to be brutally frank but most of the replies above are of no real value.

You can establish the quality of condo management ;

1. Ask to see the most recent audited accounts of the condominium juristic person. That is the association in Thai law which owns the structure. These accounts should be audited, though with accounting standards such as they are in Thailand, this is no absolute guarantee of accuracy. In any building catering well to expatriate owners there will be an English language copy. Use your common sense to review income and outgo, accumulated net worth, presence of reserve funds etc. Ask to see a list detailing maintenance arrears. Be careful if the developer is the major creditor or arrears are substantial/chronic.

2. Ask for a copy of the minutes of the most recent Annual General Meeting. As with the accounts, any well managed building will have these in English translation. Review this to see if key issues like financial viability, management quality, maintenance planning and the like are discussed. See also how election of board is conducted, if it is!. Many condominiums here are autocratically run by the developers as a cash cow with no real ownership input/control.

3. Ask for a copy of the insurance policy covering the building. This will likely be in Thai but check with your lawyer what is covered,who is the beneficiary, for how much and with whom. Often insurance is completely inadequate, covers only fire and is with a company even for major buildings no-one has ever heard of. Strangely such companies often pay brokerage of some substance to the "manager" which should not be done for obvious reasons re independent assessment. Thailand has many reputable brokers in Bangkok who can arrange the right policy with the financially capable insurers plus advise on coverage amount which will increase over time to cover replacement costs. Check there is 3rd party insurance also though this will be rare. Good insurance companies will also offer staff fire training.

4 See a utility bill for a condo and check the unit costs of electricity and water against those an independent householder would pay. These items should not be a "profit centre" for management.

5. Ask for a copy of the association,s land deed which of course should be in its name (e.g. "name of condo" Juristic Association). In many cases the association will own only the footprint of the building and you can have a fun park or shophouses next year on what you thought were your clubhouse grounds or gardens. This is common. One building mentioned above as an exemplar has allocated only 2.5 rai(about an acre) for its new 33 storey twin tower. Now tell me that makes sense!

6. Walk down the fire stairs as you leave. A sign of good management is that these will be completely clear, properly emergency lit etc. Check the maintenance plate in the elevators. Is the manufacturer the maintaining coy? Shoddy lift maintenance is a time bomb. Again commonsense viewing will give you an idea of overall tidiness and housekeeping quality.

All this is a bit long but based on experience. I am the Treasurer of my condominium which is, I believe, capably run by the owners. We employ our own manager and security and cleaning staff and have had most of them with us since opening 12 years ago.

We are about, with a consulting engineers assistance, to commence a full refurbishment programme which will run to millions of baht. We can face this because our owners take a real interest in the building (75%+ attended the last two AGMs) and are willing to fund transparent running and extraordinary expenses.

So any questions or brickbats- I'm ready.

Dear Tammi

Thanks for the reading, im sure this is the norm for all condo blocks.

I just wanted to point out how snobish your comments about putting washing on balconies to dry

was.

BTW Thais will do as they want, with or with out Falang controled condo Management teams.

The above is not the norm in thailand. but that is your yard stick not mine.

Have a nice day

Dear Tammi

I just wanted to point out how snobish your comments about putting washing on balconies to dry

was.

BTW Thais will do as they want, with or with out Falang controled condo Management teams.

Have a nice day

And you have sweet dreams. I'm off to bed with my bible!

Dear Tammi

was.

Have a nice day

And you have sweet dreams. I'm off to bed with my bible!

All that ends well - then....

:o:D

BT

There's absolutely nothing that Jomthien Complex owners can do about this. They were probably told when they bought that nothing over 4 storeys could ever be built to block the sea view. But I have been told that City Hall can review every 5 years and if it says, and Environmental Agency agree, then Bingo! Unless Jomthien Complex owners can take it to court and get VT on environmental issues then no hope to stop this cereal box construction. Moral of the story: If you want to keep your sea view forever, buy one a unit in this construction or next door in the recently completed VT. That is if you don't mind waiting 20 minutes for elevator and your neighbour cooking up on his balcony, and, of course, washing strung across balconies.

... Moral of the story: If you want to keep your sea view forever, buy one a unit in this construction or next door in the recently completed VT. ....

Not neccesarily, there is long narrow plot of land just north of VT7 (other side of the Sea Falcon restaruant) that has high-rise condo written all over it. Select your unit carefully.

... Moral of the story: If you want to keep your sea view forever, buy one a unit in this construction or next door in the recently completed VT. ....

Not neccesarily, there is long narrow plot of land just north of VT7 (other side of the Sea Falcon restaruant) that has high-rise condo written all over it. Select your unit carefully.

I think plot you mention also belongs to VT. But I could be wrong. Not often I am right according to the regulars on Pattaya Forum. If it does indeed belong to VT we'll get another 2 cereal boxes. :o And laundry!

I think plot you mention also belongs to VT. But I could be wrong. Not often I am right according to the regulars on Pattaya Forum. If it does indeed belong to VT we'll get another 2 cereal boxes. :D And laundry!

Dont get me started again.

or i go down the 7/11 and buy 8 more bottles of beer Chang

Then start wrighting on here again.

:o

as has happened with Center Condo, they have just started building a multi story car park between the condo and the temple

Tufty where exactly are they building this multistorey carpark ? doesn't look like there's much room between the condo and the temple grounds.

post-2109-1164807566_thumb.jpg

Its that bit between the condo pool and the temple in line with the building with red roof, its very true thats its a very small space very narrow but quite long.

They are driving the piles now (ok not just now but everyday from 8am) I'm told it will only be 4 stories high, but not much consolation for the people on the first 4 floors of the condo

Apparently planning permission hasn't been granted for it yet but TIT and the ground belongs to the temple so even though a petition is being signed by the condo residents (on the temple side) I think there is little hope of the project being stopped :o