Transporting a bike in Bangkok

mikejphuket

I will be picking a bike up in Silom area of Bangkok next week and sending it to Phuket. I am thinking of taking it to Don Muang and rolling it onto Nok Air. Question is how to get from Silom to DM? Can I get a taxi (or pick up truck) that could take the bike? If so, how to order? Thx, Mike

You could get a bike box. Much better protection and you will sign a damage waiver anyway.

Most shops give boxes away for free, will pack for small charge. One guy I know "rolled on" a road bike for years on widebodies with no problems. It finally got crushed, no compensation.

You could get a bike box. Much better protection and you will sign a damage waiver anyway.

Most shops give boxes away for free, will pack for small charge. One guy I know "rolled on" a road bike for years on widebodies with no problems. It finally got crushed, no compensation.

That was an idea, but how do I get a bike in a box to the airport? Can't imagine fitting into anything except full size SUV or pick up. Also wondering is a bike shop in Silom area would box my bike and take to a PO and send EMS.

I'm not talking about a flash bike so a bit of transport rash not an issue.

Thank you very much for any thoughts.

Have Fun!!! Mike

You could just take off the wheel(s), and the seat post, loosen your stem and turn your handlebars to one side. At that point it will fit in the back seat of a normal small sedan. At least mine do, size 54.

Thank You!! Have you put in a taxi like that?

You could just take off the wheel(s), and the seat post, loosen your stem and turn your handlebars to one side. At that point it will fit in the back seat of a normal small sedan. At least mine do, size 54.

My pleasure! Yes, I have. But it was first put into a bike bag.

My pleasure! Yes, I have. But it was first put into a bike bag.

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

• 10 months later...

Re the original question posed by the OP:

Today, I needed to take my non-ride-able bike to a service shop in BKK that was a bit far away from my home for walking, so I gave this a try and it worked.

Used the Uber app on my smartphone to request an SUV taxi ride pickup at my home. The standard SUV Toyota Fortuner taxi models here have back seats that fold down for extra luggage cargo, if needed.

Turns out, my 27 in. frame Schwinn road bike fit into the back of the SUV taxi with not an inch extra to spare. So clearly, the normal sized bikes typically used here would fit even easier.

In talking to both the Grab and Uber taxi services here beforehand, they advised the decision about whether to accept a bicycle as cargo would be up to the individual driver. In Grab's case, they advised using their "Note to Driver" feature in the app to explain with the booking info that you're also looking to carry a bike.

In the case of Uber that I used today, I sent an SMS message to the Uber driver once my reservation was confirmed and he had no problem with carrying both me and my bike, though it took him a bit of angling and positioning to figure out how to just get my bike to fit into the back of his vehicle.