Bangkok Restaurant tips...places worth trying

TallGuyJohninBKK

Got a place that's worth eating/trying in Bangkok. Let others here know about it...

If it's a bad place and not one to recommend, don't mention it here. Hopefully we can keep to places worthwhile trying.

And, if you're going to recommend a place, kindly at least give others here enough of an explanation of why and what's on offer.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a relatively new Mexican restaurant in the Rajah Hotel complex between Sukhumvit Soi 2 and 4 -- not far from Nana Plaza -- called somewhat unimaginatively The Mexican.

I haven't tried much of their menu, but I have tried their beef steak fajitas and thought it was very good, enough to go back for a repeat visit/order. The meat is thick slices of marinated Australian flank steak, very tender and quite tasty. The price is a bit high at 570 baht, but the portion is really enough for two and they participate in the Eatigo discount program that can provide up to a 50% discount on their food prices.

Here's what the steak fajitas looked like:

post-58284-0-37200900-1462887207_thumb.j

And here's what their menu looks like:

post-58284-0-21840900-1462887225_thumb.j

As a relatively new restaurant, the interior is comfortable and nicely, stylishly done, and there's none of the "ambiance" of the surrounding bar/NEP venues. The only thing that miffed me a bit was, for the price, they only serve 3 tortillas with the fajitas order, which isn't even close to enough for the portion of fajitas they serve. So then I asked for several more, they provided them, and then added an extra charge onto my bill.

Still, if you enjoy a good steak, the beef fajitas there are a good choice.

I have met the person who writes the Steetside Bangkok food blog/website a few times when he is in Pattaya playing golf. He is a friendly guy who is enthusiastic about food so I would try places based on his summaries. I tend to avoid visiting Bangkok so cannot provide my own feedback regarding his reviews. His reviews cover a wide spectrum of places and probably worth a look to see if they align with your viewpoint on places you have eaten.

http://www.streetsidebangkok.com/

I really enjoy the wood fired pizzas at Rossi di Serra on Sukhumvit Soi 15 and the prices arent bad. I usually get them to knock up a smoked salmon and beef carpaccio one. It's never usually that busy even on Saturday being a bit off the beaten track and has a nice relaxing ambiance. About 800 metres down the soi from Sukhumvit Road just before you get to NIST international school. And the veal escalope is huge. I can eat but was hard pushed to finish it.

Can I ask the TV members when you dine if the restaurant charges 10% service charge do you leave a tip?? If the bill is 500B then there is 50B service charge already. What is even more annoying is when they charge also the 7% VAT + service it's then 17% on top of the bill.

Can I ask the TV members when you dine if the restaurant charges 10% service charge do you leave a tip?? If the bill is 500B then there is 50B service charge already. What is even more annoying is when they charge also the 7% VAT + service it's then 17% on top of the bill.

At least in Bangkok, these days, it seems that the common practice of sit-down restaurants is to charge the 17% extra, with that usually added on top of whatever the menu prices are.

If someplace charges the 10% service charge, I don't normally add an extra tip because the service charge supposedly IS the tip -- unless the service is really special. On the rare occasion where the restaurant does NOT add their own service charge, I add it myself -- assuming their service is decent.

But let's try to stay on-topic with restaurant recommendations, and not get diverted on the subject of tipping.

I really enjoy the wood fired pizzas at Rossi di Serra on Sukhumvit Soi 15 and the prices arent bad. I usually get them to knock up a smoked salmon and beef carpaccio one. It's never usually that busy even on Saturday being a bit off the beaten track and has a nice relaxing ambiance. About 800 metres down the soi from Sukhumvit Road just before you get to NIST international school. And the veal escalope is huge. I can eat but was hard pushed to finish it.

I've been meaning to try that place for a long time, but never gotten around to it. Based on your rec., I need to remedy that soon.

They don't seem to get much public attention, and their location being pretty far off the main road probably contributes to that. But, I've heard the food is good.

I've been pretty good at avoiding hotel restaurants for 30 years. They used to add ++ hotel charges and service before there was VAT. That was 5% + 5%.

These days, if ordinary restaurants are charging 10% service + 7% VAT, that's simply not honest. The prices on the menu should be the prices you pay after dessert. You may tip, too, of course.

My fave? For a fancy night out, Enoteca. Without doubt, the best Italian in Bangkok and prices to reflect that. Check the owner's terrific homemade wine cellar! The wild mushroom risotto is exquisite.

For my go to Dago, though, Pala Pizza, on Sukhumvit street level at the interface of BTS and MRT. Lovely and original food, think fresh artichokes. Excellent pies and a nice little deli section for your olives and cheeses. I think their secret is the mix of flour. Two-thirds Thai hard wheat flour and one-third European durum wheat for both bread and pizza dough.

I've been meaning to try that place for a long time, but never gotten around to it. Based on your rec., I need to remedy that soon.

They don't seem to get much public attention, and their location being pretty far off the main road probably contributes to that. But, I've heard the food is good.

You may recall John a couple of owners back it was another Italian place that did decent pizzas too. It was a crying shame as quite often me and my wife would be the only people in there and eventually they closed. I guess location is everything sadly.

Kang Bang Phe in Soi Ruanruedee. I think the original restaurant is from Rayong - so seafood is their specialty.

It's like a designer version of a traditional Thai noodle shop - (kitchen outside with ready to boil ingredients, choice of small or wide noodles, spicy or plain soup) but with modern extras like a/c and fancy iced teas in jam jars.

For Ploenchit area the price is reasonable, and the spicy soup is seriously spicy!

Kang Bang Phe in Soi Ruanruedee. I think the original restaurant is from Rayong - so seafood is their specialty.

It's like a designer version of a traditional Thai noodle shop - (kitchen outside with ready to boil ingredients, choice of small or wide noodles, spicy or plain soup) but with modern extras like a/c and fancy iced teas in jam jars.

For Ploenchit area the price is reasonable, and the spicy soup is seriously spicy!

My wife and I went there a month or two back, and had a very pleasant, good tasting Thai meal. The setting indoors was befitting of Ruamrudee, the prices were reasonable and the service was efficient and attentive. Almost all Thais as customers the day we were there. And the place seems to have a good reputation.

That said, when I go looking for restaurants to eat out in BKK, Thai seafood and noodles usually aren't at the top of my list. smile.png

For my go to Dago, though, Pala Pizza, on Sukhumvit street level at the interface of BTS and MRT. Lovely and original food, think fresh artichokes. Excellent pies and a nice little deli section for your olives and cheeses. I think their secret is the mix of flour. Two-thirds Thai hard wheat flour and one-third European durum wheat for both bread and pizza dough.

Love Pala also... Their pork sausage calzone at something under 200b has to be one of the best meal deals in town, not to mention very delicious.

Usually, lots of choices for your pastas, including whole wheat and gluten free (for an extra charge).

And they make their own bread, which I find utterly delicious. They don't sell it in loaves. But it's cooked in big circular rings. And if you like, they'll cut you slices of it by weight. Really good stuff.

The only downside for me there is their choice of dining chairs, tall thin legged ones that always seem like they're on the verge of falling over or collapsing. Not the most comfortable choice.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You may recall John a couple of owners back it was another Italian place that did decent pizzas too. It was a crying shame as quite often me and my wife would be the only people in there and eventually they closed. I guess location is everything sadly.

MCA, is this place below on Soi 15 a prior incarnation of the place you're talking about here?

post-58284-0-99209700-1462983672_thumb.j

Harvest on Soi 31....excellent unpretentious food at reasonable prices.

For pizza forget the crowd at Peppina and head to Sfizio on Asoke....similar quality, bigger pizzas and more topping.

Best of all you get to eat in peace.

I've been pretty good at avoiding hotel restaurants for 30 years. They used to add ++ hotel charges and service before there was VAT. That was 5% + 5%.

These days, if ordinary restaurants are charging 10% service + 7% VAT, that's simply not honest. The prices on the menu should be the prices you pay after dessert. You may tip, too, of course.

My fave? For a fancy night out, Enoteca. Without doubt, the best Italian in Bangkok and prices to reflect that. Check the owner's terrific homemade wine cellar! The wild mushroom risotto is exquisite.

Dago?

Only on Thaivisa would you see an ethnic slur dropped casually into a restaurant recommendation thread, and nobody raises an eyebrow.

Dago?

Only on Thaivisa would you see an ethnic slur dropped casually into a restaurant recommendation thread, and nobody raises an eyebrow.

No different than using farang

All I can say is if anyone who dines in a restaurant knowing about these service charges, then they need their head looked at.

All I can say is if anyone who dines in a restaurant knowing about these service charges, then they need their head looked at.

If they're upfront about the charge, I don't have a problem with it. Are people really incapable of doing a simple percentage calculation in their heads to understand what the final price might be?

If they're upfront about the charge, I don't have a problem with it. Are people really incapable of doing a simple percentage calculation in their heads to understand what the final price might be?

You may have a point, but the service charges are usually in the small print, which they hope will not be noticed, and usually isn't, I will not give my custom to such establishments as they are

just trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

Looking for a sushi joint that is not the typical orgy of mediocre salmon.

Variety, value preferably no s/c. Central BKK MRT/BTS.

Depends on what you mean by "mediocre salmon."

I love real salmon. But I've heard so many horror stories about the farmed salmon served in Thailand, in terms of all kinds of additives and colorings added. That, plus the Thai fishing industry/human rights issues plus the coastal water pollution issues around Thailand, have really put me off eating local seafood here.

I don't know if those kinds of issues are of any concern to you. But they are to me, thus I'd be looking for places that import their fish from outside of Thailand, and of course, that's going to mean expensive. It's a dilemma.

How about sticking to the point of the thread rather than derailing it with the usual 17% nonsense?

We know it exists in a lot of places...pay it or don't use those restaurants.

Recommendations please!

Thank you Smokie! Well put...

I'll throw another into the ring, and one folks probably won't expect. As folks may know, it's somewhat hard to find non-Thai places around Bangkok that open early for western breakfast, and even harder to find ones that serve such breakfasts, decent ones, at a reasonable price. Well, I have a solution for that.

On Sukhumvit Road at the corner of Soi 13 is a restaurant called Margarita Storm, which is kind of an offshoot of the Sunrise Tacos chain and indeed serves the regular ST menu along with their own separate western food menu. All of that is so-so, IMHO.

But, recently, Margarita Storm also has launched a new breakfast menu that's served and available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, that offers your choice of about 10 different breakfast entrees along with your choice of coffee, tea or orange juice for 189b++. You can pop in any time of the day or night and order these.

Over a period of time, I've tried I think five of the 10 entrees, and all but one of them were quite good. Leading the list for me, they do a very good stack of pancakes topped with a fruit glaze, and a quite good for BKK standards huevos rancheros with a side of frijoles. I've also tried their version of Eggs Benedict called Benedictine eggs, and their standard eggs, meat, toast breakfast combo. The only breakfast I didn't care for especially was their Belgian waffle, which was really drenched in canned whipped cream.

The pancakes entree is probably the largest portion among the choices, with 4 or 5 good sized pancakes on the plate. The others are decent sized portions, but not overwhelming. When I order the Huevos Rancheros, I'll sometimes order a side of chips and salsa to go with it. And, still, Margarita Storm has bottles of Cholula hot sauce available upon request to add some added zest.

Here's what their breakfast menu and dishes look like:

post-58284-0-52100500-1463059062_thumb.j

post-58284-0-48570700-1463059075_thumb.j

post-58284-0-97273000-1463059085_thumb.j

post-58284-0-17967800-1463059098_thumb.j