I need help with getting multiple entry type O, based on marriage

Hi guys and gals,

For the past 12 years, I have been getting one year, non-immigrant type O, multiple entry visas, in Canada, because I have returned

to Canada every year. I plan on staying in SE Asia (mostly Thailand) for the next few years, without returning to Canada. Where

do I have to go to get the same visa, if not from my home country? What do I need for documentation (based on marriage), cash on

hand, etc.? Does my wife have to come with me, when I get my new visa?

Here in Canada, I never had to show money and they give me a new visa every year, by just showing our marriage certificate, a copy

of my wife's ID card and Tabien Baan, signed by her and my passport. Showing money is no problem, I just need to know how much?

My physical health is starting to prevent me from living in Canada, so I need to look at my options. My wife is Thai, so looks

like we will be living in Thailand, if I can get the proper visas.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Kurt

Savannakhet , Laos with the same paperwork and no need for your wife to be there. There is nowhere else.

If you have 400,000 Bht in a Thai bank or a provable income of 40,000 Bht /month you could apply for an extension of stay based on marriage from immigration.

An extension of stay provides a one year renewable stay and ends the need for border runs every 90 days.

Savannakhet , Laos with the same paperwork and no need for your wife to be there. There is nowhere else.

If you have 400,000 Bht in a Thai bank or a provable income of 40,000 Bht /month you could apply for an extension of stay based on marriage from immigration.

An extension of stay provides a one year renewable stay and ends the need for border runs every 90 days.

How much money will I have to show in Sawannakhet? Just want to make sure I am prepared property. Thanks for the info on one year extension, too. That might be an option by then.

How much money will I have to show in Sawannakhet? Just want to make sure I am prepared property. Thanks for the info on one year extension, too. That might be an option by then.

OP,

Check the ongoing thread on the PE visa. You posted that cash is not a problem, I mean that in a better way than it sounds, so PE may suit you depending on where you intend living.

Means no border runs and 90 day reports are done for you.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

No money needs to be shown in Savanakhet.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. Savanakhet sounds great to me, if I don't need to show money (or no more than 40000 Baht) and don't have to bring my wife. I like my 90 day border runs. Gives me an excuse to jump on my bike and go on a little run. Just tired of going all the way back to Canada every year.

Thanks again

Respects

Kurt

• No money required in Savannakhet.
  • You can also get a multiple entry non 'O' from Penang, Malaysia, but you would need to show a minimum of 100K baht in the bank.
  • Like 1

• You can also get a multiple entry non 'O' from Penang, Malaysia, but you would need to show a minimum of 100K baht in the bank.

That's great! Main thing is, that I don't have to fly back to Canada to get the visa. I see Sawanakhet is way over on the Eastern border, so a flight to Penang might be a better option, from Chiang Mai. Great to have some options and again, thanks for all the advise

• You can also get a multiple entry non 'O' from Penang, Malaysia, but you would need to show a minimum of 100K baht in the bank

A report today in another thread suggests the rules in Penang have changed.

That's great! Main thing is, that I don't have to fly back to Canada to get the visa. I see Sawanakhet is way over on the Eastern border, so a flight to Penang might be a better option, from Chiang Mai. Great to have some options and again, thanks for all the advise

Penang may not be a good choice now. Reported today they are wanting 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income now.

If you have the financial proof you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration,

OP,

Check the ongoing thread on the PE visa. You posted that cash is not a problem, I mean that in a better way than it sounds, so PE may suit you depending on where you intend living.

Means no border runs and 90 day reports are done for you.

-------------------------------------

Correct.

But you need to do 90 day reporting....either in person at immigration or by mail (also possibly can be done on-line depending on where yu live).

Penang may not be a good choice now. Reported today they are wanting 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income now.

If you have the financial proof you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration,

Got a link to that.

Well then you have to go to immigration office in Thailand where you live.

As a married couple you need to prove both your income, as it should be 40 kbath/month total.

Ofcourse you need to bring your mariagebook with you, to prove you are married.

But as you already have the visa, you can extend it inThailand for just another year,

however then at local immigration office in Thailand.

If you remain there, you do have to report yourself every 90 days.

As a married couple you need to prove both your income, as it should be 40 kbath/month total.

That change already in 2008 (police order 777/2551 )

Combined income can not be used, it has to the foreign husbands only.

This off course do not apply for ladies married to Thai me.

Savannakhet , Laos - how would you get there from Chiang Mai and does the office there have and email address to confirm the conditions? I would hate to get there and they say you need to prove finance.

• Like 1

Savannakhet , Laos - how would you get there from Chiang Mai and does the office there have and email address to confirm the conditions? I would hate to get there and they say you need to prove finance.

By air you could fly via Don Mueang to connect to the fly/ride service offered by Nok Air and Air Asia to Mukdahan.

Or via Suv (bkk) to Savannakhet on Lao Airways.

Kan Air has a flight to here in Ubon Ratchaithani from CM and then you could take a bus or van to Mukdahan (2 to 3 hours). Kan Air schedule: https://www.kanairlines.com/web/flightschedule.php?lang=en

You could also fly from CM to Udon Thani and then by bus to Mukdahan.

Or by bus to Mukdahan,

Once you are in Mukdahan there is a bus from there to Savannakhet.

I would not worry about Savannakhet changing their requirements. That have been the same for several years now since they started doing the multiple entry visa. You can also be sure we would know about it here on the forum since there are many members who go there for their visas.

Contact info for the consulate is here: http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/contact/

Why not go for a one year permission to stay on the grounds of retirement ? You're 58 No visa required.

A visa is required before an application of an extension of stay on the basis of retirement can be made.

Anyway....................

The need for 800,000 Bht in a Thai may prove to be a problem for the OP

• Like 1

Sorry to say anything about the last post but it seems to be a common trait for people to assume that others don't have money for this or that. Most come on here to find out the various ways that are available to them to secure a long term stay.

I'm sure they don't need comments about their assumed financial status.

While still in Canada you can apply for a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Oa Visa. You need a medical certificate, police clearance, and the Canadian Equivalent of ฿800,000 in the bank, but it can be in a Canadian Bank. The Visa is good for one year, you have to report every 90 days, but you don't have to leave the country. If you leave the country the day before the visa expires and reenter that day, you get another year, but that second year if you leave the country, you have to get a reentry permit to come back.

RE: If you have the financial proof you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration

If you decided to apply for the extension of stay based on marriage you may need some extra documents, depending on where you and your Thai wife were married. If you were married in Canada then you might also need to get your Canadian marriage "legalised" in Thailand which can involve getting a Thai embassy in your home country stamping your marriage certificate. It's just an extra complication to keep in mind if you decide to go down this route. (It was a frustration and a complication for my wife and I some time back, we were married in England).

Many posters say "go for an extension of stay based on marriage" and that option seems to work smoothly enough when the marriage took place in Thailand. But if your marriage took place outside Thailand, the first time you do this be warned you are likely to need some additional paperwork.

I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works or anything. Just letting you know that depending on in which country you got married there may be some extra paperwork involved. Hope all works out well for whichever way you decide to go about extending your stay.