UK: Queen overheard calling Chinese officials 'very rude'

webfact

Pretty sure the Chinese found it rude when the Brits were pumping China full of opium.

China's got a lot of reasons to be 'rude' to the Brits.

The worm has turned and it really doesn't matter what the old dame thinks. She's offended? OK.

150 years ago!, does not justify them acting like pigs now surely

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron called Nigerian's and Afghans terribly corrupt, that was probably true too.

These countries should take notice and do something about it.

Yep, they will do something about it.

They'll ask the rest of us for MONEY to fight the corruption.

Cameron called Nigerian's and Afghans terribly corrupt, that was probably true too.

Yep, they will do something about it.

They'll ask the rest of us for MONEY to fight the corruption.

That's absolutely correct, we already give to these two nations, whilst our NHS crumbles.

Broadcasters show footage of HM The Queen’s “diplomatic gaffe”
By Catherine Hardy | With REUTERS

606x341_332356.jpg

""They were very rude to the ambassador""

LONDON: -- The Queen has become the second high-profile British figure to be overheard making a diplomatic gaffe.

Footage has emerged of Her Majesty describing Chinese officials as “very rude” during last year’s state visit by President Xi Jinping.

Where did this happen?

At a Buckingham Palace garden party on Tuesday.

Who was the Queen talking to?

Metropolitan Police Commander Lucy D’Orsi.

She oversaw security for the Chinese leader’s visit and described it as a “testing time”.

“They were very rude to the ambassador,” the monarch replied.

Has Buckingham Palace said anything?

Yes.

The Chinese state visit was “extremely successful”.

The Palace says it never comments on the Queen’s private conversations.

Does the Queen often make political comments?

Publicly, no. It is unheard of.

Under the terms of her constitutional role, the 90-year-old monarch never makes any politically or diplomatically sensitive comments in public.

It is also rare for the contents of her private conversations to be revealed.

What happened to David Cameron?

Her Majesty’s comments came on the same day Prime Minister David Cameron was overheard describing Nigeria and Afghanistan as “fantastically corrupt”.

His comments are seen as particularly untimely.

He is hosting both countries’ leaders at an anti-corruption conference in London this Thursday.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-12

Was that said before they found David's bank account in the Panama .....??

The Chinese were so rude, oh dear how upsetting for the lady whose family had to change their real name from the German one (when the Germans were also being a little rude).....never mind her great uncle managed to get the Iron Cross.

German roots still a royal embarrassment ... The name of the royal house is Windsor, but the surname of the Queen and the Duke of ... of Hesse, was a member of the SS and flew fighters that attacked allied troops in Italy. George V was King of the United Kingdom and he changed the name of the British royal house from the German-sounding ... George's relatives who fought on the German side, such as Prince Ernst ..wikipedia

It is not only Westerners to complain about rude behavior. I have close friends from China and Hong Kong. Some years back, they traveled a lot on business and noted how well-mannered most people were in western countries. One of them returned to Hong Kong on a flight that contained a small Chinese tour group. This was in the days before there was a lot of Chinese tour groups. He commented that he was very ashamed to be Chinese when he saw how they behaved.

My friends from China had a lot of examples of behavior that just was not acceptable and some down right dangerous -- such as getting out of their seat before a plane had landed and get their bags and try to get to the door.

I hope the Queen doesn't cop too much grief over her remarks.

such as getting out of their seat before a plane had landed and get their bags and try to get to the door.

I used to fly every couple of months into China. That is a hallmark of Chinese upon landing approach.

They do that when flying to Australia and then spend three hours at customs going through their luggage and paying fines for all the crappy food they haven't declared. biggrin.png

I believe you're from the UK. And you're calling Chinese food crappy? This is a case of the pot calling the porcelain black.

I wonder if any of the commenters here have spent time in Taiwan. From what I've been told, manners are much more refined there. If that's the case, I suspect that the cultural revolution and Maoism in general pretty much extirpated Confucian culture, and with it, refined manners.

The same thing applies to commercial behavior. There was a time when Chinese business people were renowned for their honesty. Nowadays, they are not exactly a byword for that. I wonder again how their behavior compares to the Taiwanese and overseas Chinese.

Rudeness a very interesting topic. In what does it consist? Thais tell me I am very rude. I say Thais are extremely rude, certainly to foreigners. In Europe the conventions of politeness and manners are well established. Thais think Chinese are very rude. Have no insight on Chinese manners in London!!

In this case, the Chinese willfully broke basic diplomatic protocol when they insulted the UK Ambassador, threatened the UK by stating the meeting was off and walked out of the meeting when they did not get their way in a matter that had been previously agreed to,

The Chinese have fits when foreign diplomats don't bend and scrape when meeting Chinese officials. Yet the Chinese were incapable of observing the most rudimentary of practices.

Sorry, try again with your excuse for the bad behaviour.

Rudeness a very interesting topic. In what does it consist? Thais tell me I am very rude. I say Thais are extremely rude, certainly to foreigners. In Europe the conventions of politeness and manners are well established. Thais think Chinese are very rude. Have no insight on Chinese manners in London!!

In this case, the Chinese willfully broke basic diplomatic protocol when they insulted the UK Ambassador, threatened the UK by stating the meeting was off and walked out of the meeting when they did not get their way in a matter that had been previously agreed to,

The Chinese have fits when foreign diplomats don't bend and scrape when meeting Chinese officials. Yet the Chinese were incapable of observing the most rudimentary of practices.

Sorry, try again with your excuse for the bad behaviour.

Little Emperor syndrome???

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/one-child-policy-chinas-army-of-little-emperors-8446713.html

Publishing Her Majesties private comment is also not polite. I cannot imagine establishment media outlets would print this stuff sounds like tabloid/rag journalism.

Edited by arunsakda

Considering that as a foriegner who's lived in Thailand since 1987 - I haven't experienced the kind of rudeness you imply...

And understanding the nature of existence, that states: "what you put out is what you get back..."

One can only summise that it is indeed you who is rude my friend whistling.gif

Definitely, very good show.

Moreover, she is so right.

However, the Chinese all have the MLS, Middle Kingdom Syndrome.

So they think all non Chinese are not civilised and Westerners are barbarians.

Shame Prince Phil didn't add a bit more ,just love his honesty..⚖

Liz and Phil, are human, one of them speaks their mind more frequently than the other, but both are free to do so as far as I am concerned.

Why is this news anyway, did Queenie tell any lies.

Politically correct , really means your blind.

"... really means your [sic] blind."

Being PC depends on the context. It is not absolute. Being PC in Pyongyang would hardly be the same as being PC in Boggy Bottom, Abbots Langley, Herts, for example. Being PC simply means expressing a view that meets the approval of whoever it is you're trying to suck up to.

On Thai Visa being PC means rushing in to bash away to prove you're one of the gang.

As far as being rude is concerned, that too is contextual. For example, in some countries to clear your nose, you make an almighty blow while aiming the contents toward the pavement. In the west we load up a tissue or hankie and then shove it into our pocket or purse to save as a memento. And in parts of Asia it would be considered rude to go for weeks without showering or changing your clothes, but in parts of Europe that's considered de rigueur ... which may explain why Europeans are so reluctant to enthusiastically clear their nasal passages.

Edited by Suradit69

Shame Prince Phil didn't add a bit more ,just love his honesty..⚖

Liz and Phil, are human, one of them speaks their mind more frequently than the other, but both are free to do so as far as I am concerned.

Why is this news anyway, did Queenie tell any lies.

"one of them speaks their mind"

Sounds like you're implying they only have one mind between them and only one of them dare expose what's in it.

The queen was right. Chinese can be very rude. No surprises there. Who cares, move on. I'm sure Chinese officials have also made controversial remarks about their visits to western or indeed any foreign country and nobody bats an eyelid.

As for the remarks on Afghanistan and Nigeria by Cameron, well of course those failed states are corrupt. Maybe they should be doing something about that.

It’s hard to get any details on exactly what upset the Chinese at the place called Lancaster house?

Apparently they were shown an exhibition of collaborative work between the two countries so it is hard to understand how they could have taken offence about that. Surely they would have been briefed well in advance as to what they were going to be shown?

Maybe they weren't allowed their accustomed place as first in the buffet line?

We live in sad times when you can't call a "fantastically corrupt" country what it is. Fantastically corrupt.

I saw the film of Cameron saying that. A senior Churchman who was also part of the conversation added, for the Queen's benefit, that the new Nigerian President isn't corrupt, and is trying to do something about the corruption.

Anyone who thinks corruption isn't rampant in those two countries is deluded. What's important is they have leaders who want to try to do something about it.

As usual the left wing PC liberal BBC want to comment without the full contexts.

We live in sad times when you can't call a "fantastically corrupt" country what it is. Fantastically corrupt.

I saw the film of Cameron saying that. A senior Churchman who was also part of the conversation added, for the Queen's benefit, that the new Nigerian President isn't corrupt, and is trying to do something about the corruption.

Anyone who thinks corruption isn't rampant in those two countries is deluded. What's important is they have leaders who want to try to do something about it.

As usual the left wing PC liberal BBC want to comment without the full contexts.

The Queen was making a statement about the treatment of HM ambassador. In that context, she was not out of line. She may have preferred that her remarks weren't repeated, but defending the people who serve her is acceptable, IMO.

Its hard to get any details on exactly what upset the Chinese at the place called Lancaster house?

Apparently they were shown an exhibition of collaborative work between the two countries so it is hard to understand how they could have taken offence about that. Surely they would have been briefed well in advance as to what they were going to be shown?

They were playing Yellow River in the background I understand

The Chinese were annoyed because one of them had hepatitis and thought we were making fun of him.....